Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Has anyone tried the PAID gate-to-gate service where they pick you up at your arrival gate, they drive you by limo to your departure gate and fast-track you through security checks to departure gate. The website says that 1hr is doable. It starts at 99 euros.

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...e-service.html
Old May 3, 2017, 8:34 am

Issue is there is a wedding sat night. We are flying out Sunday but staying where the wedding is which is 1 hour west of FLR and 1 hour southeast of Pisa. I dont really want to drive and wake up at 5AM to catch a 9:30AM flight. I'd rather play it a little safe and wake up around 7AM and drive in catching a later flight

Not staying in a city area. Staying out in the beautiful countryside of Italy

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2017 at 11:32 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 3, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by flaii
Just one more voice in favor of taking an earlier flight to connect to the TATL if you must be back in the US on a certain day. Not sure what your schedule is the day before the flight, but you could also consider driving the night before and overnighting closer to one of those airports for an early morning connection (Pisa, Florence, Bologna).

I just took a long weekend trip and connected in ZRH on the outbound and FRA on the inbound. Despite the oft-cited Swiss and German national reputations for punctuality and precision, 2 out of my 3 flights were delayed 20-35 minutes, and my train/Lufthansa Express Rail connection from Stuttgart to Frankfurt was delayed 10 minutes.

- I fly often connecting Lufthansa-United in FRA, and when flights are on time and you are making a connection from A to Z gates (basically one is upstairs from the other), it's super easy. BUT sometimes the first flight will disembark at the very end of one of the piers, and perhaps your connecting flight is at the end of another, and then it's a very long walk. And yesterday my usual flight to Spain departed from the B gates, accessible only through a very long underground moving sidewalk, and elevators on both ends, and 1 of the 2 elevators wasn't working on one of the ends making the process even slower. So, 1 hour CAN be doable, but I think it's risky due to potential flight delays and long distances between gates.

- edited to add: my plane wasn't even at the B-gates. We took the bus to the A320, and it was one of the longest tarmac rides I ever taken, about 15-20 minutes. So imagine this process in reverse: you land on time but don't reach he terminal until 20 minutes later.

- I agree with you that 50 min is too tight even in ZRH. I only had a 45 minute connection in ZRH, and my inbound from Spain was 35 minutes delayed leaving me 10 minutes to connect. As I was flying from an outstation (i.e. contract staff), they gave me no options for rebooking and just said that I should fly to ZRH to try my luck and if necessary, they will put me up in a hotel and fly me out the next morning. Luckily I made my connection as my connecting flight was directly opposite, but I feel sorry for the passengers on my flight connecting to HKG which also left 10 minutes after landing, because they had to take the train to the other terminal for intercontinental flights.
Completely agree. If you land at a B gate or at an outside position, the chance that you will make your connecting flight in an hour is almost zero.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I recently did LIS-FRA-TLV with 1:25 scheduled time, despite being an 8A flight, LIS-FRA was delayed (TP) due to inbound a/c, about 35 minutes or so. I was fairly nervous but we managed to make the connection (as did our bags)

inbound landed at A a good way down the concourse, the C-passportkontrol was a breeze, but super annoyingly they had TLV in its own secure area with the slowest friggin security I've ever seen. And No lounge available not that we had much time but it would've been nice to get a quick snack.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Recently flew into FRA from Johannesburg, South Africa. There I had 1 hr 15 minutes to make my Lufthansa flight to Paris, where I had a United connection to ORD. No problem going through German security etc. Made my Paris connection with 30 minutes to spare. However, my bags were not so fortunate. Didn't catch up to me in Chicago until late the next day.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Schedule change?

Originally Posted by ADeutsch
Issue is there is a wedding sat night. We are flying out Sunday but staying where the wedding is which is 1 hour west of FLR and 1 hour southeast of Pisa. I dont really want to drive and wake up at 5AM to catch a 9:30AM flight. I'd rather play it a little safe and wake up around 7AM and drive in catching a later flight

Not staying in a city area. Staying out in the beautiful countryside of Italy
Looks like there may have been a schedule change. Just checked the FLR-FRA flights on Sep 3, and there now appears to be a LH flight at 1:30 pm, getting into FRA at 3:05. Should be plenty of time to connect to UA at 510 pm.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Here is your solution for Sun Sept 3:
1:30 PM – 3:05 PM
Florence (FLR) – Frankfurt (FRA)
Lufthansa 311 · Economy Class · Embraer RJ-190
Operated by Lufthansa CityLine GmbH
1h 35m
Layover in Frankfurt FRA2h 05m

5:10 PM – 7:55 PM
Frankfurt (FRA) – Washington, D.C. (IAD)
United 933 · Economy Class · Boeing 777
8h 45m

Lets you sleep in at the wedding and get to IAD in time for Labor Day.

Where's the wedding? I am doing the same thing in June. Wedding is in Lucca. I am coming home via AMS but spending two days in AMS (Pisa>AMS on Transavia, UA Polaris home) so timing was not an issue. It is tough to make a connection from that area same day and not leave at 6am, so I am surprised there is this option.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by dukesantos
If LH (therefore Germany) are your options, then connect through Munich. It's smaller and more manageable.
Concur. While I have yet to miss a 1-hour UA<->LH connection at FRA, I often find myself dashing through the hallways and then sweating bullets at the long security checkpoint lines (at least when arriving from USA).

By contrast MUC always seems to flow a lot more smoothly - there is rarely a line at security and I usually make it to the lounge even when I have <1 hour.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
If flying into FRA from North America I would "risk" a 1-hour connection, as my next flight might be something like FRA-VIE or similar, and there would be lots of choices. But not the other way around; generally, many fewer TATL choices.

On the other hand, when I land I usually like a bit of breakfast and a shower, especially if early in the AM. No sense getting to the hotel at the final destination too early, as one's room won't be ready. But the Senator Lounge is a good place to spend a couple/three hours after landing...

And beware the dreaded remote stand!
Old May 4, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Another vote for Munich

Munich is an excellent airport; I've transferred there a number of times and it's painless, fast security (almost like, "That's it? I'm done?") and no super-long runs from one flight to another.

FRA? Yeah, I would not, ever, do 1hr at FRA unless I had a good backup plan. I might deliberately book 1hr at FRA if it was much cheaper than the flight I actually wanted to be on, which left a bit later and would likely still have seats.

Munich all the way. It's very well supported with connections. What's not to like?
Old May 4, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I've done connections at both, and while MUC is certainly more compact, I've run into very slow lines there... Did VIE-MUC-IAD, and if it had only been a 1-hour connection, might not have made it. YMMV...
Old May 4, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
I've done connections at both, and while MUC is certainly more compact, I've run into very slow lines there... Did VIE-MUC-IAD, and if it had only been a 1-hour connection, might not have made it. YMMV...
Yes, to be fair, a 1-hour connection at any airport involving a run through security and/or passport control is a risk.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Yes, to be fair, a 1-hour connection at any airport involving a run through security and/or passport control is a risk.
I have to agre with this. A minimum of 2 hours is always safer.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:43 pm

I would go with United 933 and 5.10pm departure from Frankfurt.
1hr layover in FRA is doable.
You can sleep-in after a good wedding party (and if you are celebrating with italians - you will value every minute of sleep on Sunday) and be back in lovely d.c. in the evening.

My girlfriend and I did this a few times in the past and we will be doing it three times this year (same reason - wedding and need to get home Sunday night).

Our feeder flights won't be Italy, but I never had any issue making this connection.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Over at another thread djohannw said>

Originally Posted by djohannw
While I also have not personally made many of these connections in FRA I know my way around there pretty well, and from that I am pretty certain that there is NO security necessary from Z to B - unless you do not follow the right path.
I have never figured out how to avoid leaving the secured area with a connection to B after a Z arrival from the US. Any advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.