Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at FRA

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at FRA

Old May 2, 17, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.75MM
Originally Posted by TonyBurr View Post
Why would you go through Customs? You would go through security and they would check your passport but customs is when they go through your luggage? Why Customs?
Schengen (Italy/Germany) to non-Schengen (USA).
Old May 2, 17, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by PushingTin View Post
Sticker? When you are getting on the TATL flight?
At least on the FRA-IAD flights they will take you out of line (at least for group 1) and ask you some security questions and then put a sticker on your passport.

I agree that if your flight from Italy arrives at an A gate, you should be fine. If your flight arrives at a B gate, I would not be so optimistic about a one hour connection.
Old May 2, 17, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Why don't you take an earlier flight instead of leaving things so tight? If the flight is delayed for whatever reason.......
Old May 2, 17, 5:23 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by ADeutsch View Post
Looking into flights coming home from Europe. There is a flight that leaves Florence Italy on Lufthansa metal that connects with a 777 of United going to Washington IAD. Issue is 1 hour connection time in Frankfurt. Last flight of the day and is it too tight?

Another option is to fly out of Pisa Italy and connect with a 1 hour and 10 minutes connection via Munich to Washington DC. However both flights are operated by Lufthansa.

1st timer here to Germany as well...
See this thread in LH forum on connecting in FRA - has almost all you need to know about FRA connections there.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...hread-261.html
Old May 2, 17, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
If miles/points are no consideration my preference would be

1) BA via LHR (reasonable connection time, many alternatives)
2) AF via CDG (longest connection time)
3) LH via MUC
4) LH via FRA

IME MUC is easier to connect in than FRA.
Old May 2, 17, 5:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Looking into flights coming home from Europe. There is a flight that leaves Florence Italy on Lufthansa metal that connects with a 777 of United going to Washington IAD. Issue is 1 hour connection time in Frankfurt. Last flight of the day and is it too tight?

Another option is to fly out of Pisa Italy and connect with a 1 hour and 10 minutes connection via Munich to Washington DC. However both flights are operated by Lufthansa.

1st timer here to Germany as well...
I hate connecting in FRA.. always feel rushed... I would avoid a 1 hour connection time... MUC is a much easier connection point; it has some of the lowest MCT in europe (that and VIE....)..
FDW
Old May 2, 17, 5:42 pm

is one hour really enough?

I looked at my Google Calendar and on my last 5 United flights from IAD to Europe over the last 17 months, 3 of them were more than 40 minute late arriving at FRA. (all due to weather)
Old May 2, 17, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Just one more voice in favor of taking an earlier flight to connect to the TATL if you must be back in the US on a certain day. Not sure what your schedule is the day before the flight, but you could also consider driving the night before and overnighting closer to one of those airports for an early morning connection (Pisa, Florence, Bologna).

I just took a long weekend trip and connected in ZRH on the outbound and FRA on the inbound. Despite the oft-cited Swiss and German national reputations for punctuality and precision, 2 out of my 3 flights were delayed 20-35 minutes, and my train/Lufthansa Express Rail connection from Stuttgart to Frankfurt was delayed 10 minutes.

- I fly often connecting Lufthansa-United in FRA, and when flights are on time and you are making a connection from A to Z gates (basically one is upstairs from the other), it's super easy. BUT sometimes the first flight will disembark at the very end of one of the piers, and perhaps your connecting flight is at the end of another, and then it's a very long walk. And yesterday my usual flight to Spain departed from the B gates, accessible only through a very long underground moving sidewalk, and elevators on both ends, and 1 of the 2 elevators wasn't working on one of the ends making the process even slower. So, 1 hour CAN be doable, but I think it's risky due to potential flight delays and long distances between gates.

- edited to add: my plane wasn't even at the B-gates. We took the bus to the A320, and it was one of the longest tarmac rides I ever taken, about 15-20 minutes. So imagine this process in reverse: you land on time but don't reach he terminal until 20 minutes later.

- I agree with you that 50 min is too tight even in ZRH. I only had a 45 minute connection in ZRH, and my inbound from Spain was 35 minutes delayed leaving me 10 minutes to connect. As I was flying from an outstation (i.e. contract staff), they gave me no options for rebooking and just said that I should fly to ZRH to try my luck and if necessary, they will put me up in a hotel and fly me out the next morning. Luckily I made my connection as my connecting flight was directly opposite, but I feel sorry for the passengers on my flight connecting to HKG which also left 10 minutes after landing, because they had to take the train to the other terminal for intercontinental flights.

Last edited by flaii; May 2, 17 at 6:04 pm
Old May 2, 17, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by sfo789 View Post
Schengen (Italy/Germany) to non-Schengen (USA).
That's not customs. That's passport control (immigration in the US). You only go through customs after you've picked up your luggage.

Originally Posted by WalterSFO View Post
I looked at my Google Calendar and on my last 5 United flights from IAD to Europe over the last 17 months, 3 of them were more than 40 minute late arriving at FRA. (all due to weather)
Except OP is talking about connecting LH to UA.
Old May 2, 17, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Frankly, I will take an the last flight out of where ever I am going to get to MUC/FRA then risk morning flights before a TATL. Especially if I have an upgrade that I know won't be replicated the next day or on another flight. I know you can't always do that things get so sideways with weather, IRROPS, and with LH strikes that I don't want to risk it.
Old May 2, 17, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
+1 to those who recommend MUC over FRA. I have a 1:15 connection coming up in FRA and despite the fact that I know the airport pretty well, I am not happy about it (there isn't any other option for my itinerary).

I'd strongly suggest that OP read the LH forum guide on connecting in FRA. Many people who aren't familiar with the layout find it to be a confusing maze. MUC, on the other hand, is very straightforward and predictable.
Old May 3, 17, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
MUC=Munich?

If yes, I highly recommend Munich airport. Very very good airport, well laid out and efficient.

Pure bavarian power and ingenuity.
Old May 3, 17, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
I second Munich over Frankfurt. But two hours or more at CDG or LHR if you're staying with the same airline (i.e. AF or BA) should also be fine. I wouldn't want to change terminals at either of those airports without a slightly better buffer (i.e. AF->UA).
Old May 3, 17, 6:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman View Post
If miles/points are no consideration my preference would be

1) BA via LHR (reasonable connection time, many alternatives)
2) AF via CDG (longest connection time)
3) LH via MUC
4) LH via FRA

IME MUC is easier to connect in than FRA.
I second this recommendation as long as the BA and AF flights are for both the short-haul and long-haul flights (and not connecting with AA or DL). If there is a delay, it is always easier to work with one airline vs two airlines (LH + UA).

I had a similar situation where I flew BA on a short European flight connecting with a long inter-continental flight, booked in business. The short flight was delayed and when I arrived at LHR, they had already booked me on another airline for the long-haul flight in business class and had boarding pass ready for me at the transfer counter.

I don't know how closely LH+UA work together if there is a delay on the short LH flight and you miss your connecting UA flight. Also check to see if there is an alternative flight by another airline if you miss the UA flight, because LH/UA may not have a choice except to offer you a flight the next day.
Old May 3, 17, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
I dont think going via Zurich is an option unless my journey back to the states wants to be a 2 stops.

Rewinding my girlfriend & I are going to be at a wedding 1 hour outside of Pisa and Florence Italy. We are trying to make it back home to Washington DC area by Sunday Sept 03 (night) for an event on labor day. If we went to zurich I think the connection if any is 50 minutes. I think the four options are as follow...

1. Air france via Paris with 2.5 hours
2. BA via London with 2 hours
3. Lufthansa via Frankfurt with 1 hour
4. Lufthansa via Munich with 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Any other options I am open to suggestions, but I do need to drive from the wedding area to an airport
I don't understand what the problem is here.

For the flights you have listed, they all leave around noon to 1:00pm. Given arriving 60 or so minutes early to the airport and the hour or so of travel time, you can't have anything planned for the Sunday at all.

Why limit yourself to 1pm departures and all this hassle when there are plenty of earlier morning departures from either airport which remove this connection problem?

like LH9437 which leaves at 9:45am?
Or, if you insist on a later time, why not LH311 which gives you 2+ hours in FRA and leaves at 1:30pm?

Heck, even if you wanted to keep your same departure flights, there are plenty of two stop options which get you into any one of three different airports by 10pm on Sunday night.

You have serious time constraints, apparently, are there other constraints that you are not telling us?

Search this Thread