Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at FRA

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at FRA

Old Apr 30, 12, 11:21 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davidsfo View Post
I'd appreciate on info/recommendation....I'm traveling in F to Barcelona from SFO via FRA (UA) and LH C (FRA to BCN.) Returning from Madrid (LH) to UA in FRA. When I get to FRA (both to/from), do I need clear an immigration check point, or can I go directly to a lounge? I see that I'm can get into certain LH lounges (Business, Senator, Welcome, Tower), which is best for 3 hour layover? Any help would be appreciated.
On the way out there's no need for security check in FRA provided your UA flight arrives at a Z gate (usually does). You have to go through passport control in FRA but not in BCN since FRA-BCN is like a domestic flight. The most convenient lounge in FRA is the Senator Lounge by gate A26 if you are *G, otherwise the Business Lounge next door. Both can be crowded at times. If your flight arrives in the morning and if you have the time, your arriving UA F BP will give you access to the Welcome Lounge (landside) which is nicer than either the Senator or the Business Lounge.

On the way back you clear passport control in FRA but no need for further security check. The most convenient lounge will be the Tower Lounge. If you are flying FRA-SFO in F you will also be able to use the Senator Lounge, though the one by A26 is on the other side of passport control and the one by B42 is in another part of the terminal.
Old Jul 20, 12, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
1:15 Connection time?

Just saw that my layover in FRA has been changed to only 1:15. I will be coming on LH from GVA connecting to another LH flight to IAH. Is 1:15 enough time or should I look for another route?
Old Jul 20, 12, 4:59 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by iahkid2014 View Post
Just saw that my layover in FRA has been changed to only 1:15. I will be coming on LH from GVA connecting to another LH flight to IAH. Is 1:15 enough time or should I look for another route?
1:15 is a legal connecting time in FRA. Unless your flight from GVA is late you should be ok and there are UA flights to IAH later in the day. It looks like you will be on the A380.
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
1:15 is a legal connecting time in FRA. Unless your flight from GVA is late you should be ok and there are UA flights to IAH later in the day. It looks like you will be on the A380.
Thanks! Yeah I'm flying the A380 for the first time so I really don't want to have to change my flight.
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by iahkid2014 View Post
Thanks! Yeah I'm flying the A380 for the first time so I really don't want to have to change my flight.
A few things to consider:

1. At FRA sometimes you will land in the open area and get bussed to the terminal. If you've ever done this, you know how long it takes to walk off the plane, fill the bus, drive all around, then get back into the terminal. Easy 30-45 minutes.

2. FRA is the size of a small city. If there is a large delta between each terminal, it could take 20-30 minutes to get to the next gate.

Therefore, you could spend 1:15 simply getting from your arriving flight to the gate of your departing flight.

In addition, in some cases you can get stuck going through immigration or security at FRA. It still isn't clear to me when that applies, but it's happened to me several times when I didn't expect it. That adds another hour.

Consider also the odds of delay on arrival. And, that you should be at the gate at least 30 minutes before departure. On all US bound flights I've ever taken, there is also been an extra security interview, and there is a queue to go through that process.

When I fly into FRA and connect to a US bound flight to return home, my minimum connection time is 4 hours. I know, this is extreme, but the main point is that I don't want to give up my confirmed upgrade, and normally I've booked into R space on these flights. I've sat at FRA for 5 or 6 hours before.

I don't worry so much about arrival from the US because my next jump from FRA is usually in E on a short flight.

If you are in E and not upgrading or you're in paid premium cabin, and all this is on one LH ticket on LH metal then LH should protect you, so you can then take more chances than I'd be willing to take.
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
A few things to consider:

1. At FRA sometimes you will land in the open area and get bussed to the terminal. If you've ever done this, you know how long it takes to walk off the plane, fill the bus, drive all around, then get back into the terminal. Easy 30-45 minutes.

2. FRA is the size of a small city. If there is a large delta between each terminal, it could take 20-30 minutes to get to the next gate.

Therefore, you could spend 1:15 simply getting from your arriving flight to the gate of your departing flight.

In addition, in some cases you can get stuck going through immigration or security at FRA. It still isn't clear to me when that applies, but it's happened to me several times when I didn't expect it. That adds another hour.

Consider also the odds of delay on arrival. And, that you should be at the gate at least 30 minutes before departure. On all US bound flights I've ever taken, there is also been an extra security interview, and there is a queue to go through that process.
It may seems like a long time but landing to the terminal by bus does not normally take as long as 30-45 minutes. Walking from the furthest A gate to the furthest C gate might take most people 20 minutes or so but if you are bussed to the terminal your walking distance will be shorter.

There is currently no extra security for US departures and passengers on flights departing within 30 minutes can use the fast lane at security checkpoints. You don't have to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure.

A380 departures are currently from C13-16 gates but when the new Pier A-Plus opens in November, some A380 departures are expected to move to the new pier.
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:00 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Important to remember. You must ALWAYS pass thru security between flights now in FRA unless connecting between what they call "Reinigen" or "Clean" countries". The USA and all Shengen countries are in this catagory. So if transferring between a flight to/from the US and France, you do not need to go thru security (However, you can't count on this as if your flight arrives by bus you WILL need to pass security. The UK is a clean country but all LH arrivals from the UK now use bus gates.

The best way to get around FRA is assume you must go thru security and allow time. If your lucky enough to arrive at a Z gate from the US and depart to Europe from A or anywhere else in the world from B, you don't need to go thru security
** to get from Z to B w/out security you must walk via A and thru the tunnel (using immigration twice). Otherwise you can avoid immigration and take the train but then you must go thru security.

I hope this is as confusing to read as it was to write

BEST RULE AT FRA: just follow the signs
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
Important to remember. You must ALWAYS pass thru security between flights now in FRA unless connecting between what they call "Reinigen" or "Clean" countries". The USA and all Shengen countries are in this catagory. So if transferring between a flight to/from the US and France, you do not need to go thru security (However, you can't count on this as if your flight arrives by bus you WILL need to pass security. The UK is a clean country but all LH arrivals from the UK now use bus gates.
Not sure if this is 100% accurate. I did BCN-FRA-JFK and had security (going into the deep-C gates where the A380s fly), and I also arrived at a jetbridge from BCN.
Old Jul 20, 12, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I did Stuttgart (STR) - FRA on LH connecting to UA FRA-ORD last week. Arrived at bus gate somewhere between A&B followed signs to Z gates. There was a passport check and random pat downs of some passengers but no X-Ray of hand luggage and no metal detector, or other body scanning. I got a pat down, my associate didn't.

At gate there were roaming people asking the did you pack your luggage yourself type of questions and putting red stamp on BP
Old Jul 20, 12, 10:42 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Not sure if this is 100% accurate. I did BCN-FRA-JFK and had security (going into the deep-C gates where the A380s fly), and I also arrived at a jetbridge from BCN.
Sorry, I meant to say "if your arriving @ a bus gate OR transferring to a LH flight leaving from C gates (all 388 / 74H / a few 744 flights)
Old Jul 21, 12, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
...all LH arrivals from the UK now use bus gates.
Not true. LH keeps on promising that all flights from LHR will use jetbridges but it does not always happen. Whether UK flights use bus gates or jetbridges you cannot escape security clearance if you have a connecting flight.
Old Jul 23, 12, 11:43 pm

65 min transit in FRA?

When I initially booked the tickets, I had 2hr 05 mins transit (arr from Barcelona at 10:10am on LH and dep for SFO at 12:15pm on UA) on a week day later this fall.

UA has since moved the departure to 11:15am.

Is this doable or should I try for an earlier arrival into FRA?

fwiw, I'm 1K and will be in Business on LH/First on UA, all tickets are on the same (UA) PNR.
Old Jul 24, 12, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
When I initially booked the tickets, I had 2hr 05 mins transit (arr from Barcelona at 10:10am on LH and dep for SFO at 12:15pm on UA) on a week day later this fall.

fwiw, I'm 1K and will be in Business on LH/First on UA, all tickets are on the same (UA) PNR.
It looks like you are travelling during the week (last week of Oct/first week of Nov) after Europe ends summer time and the US is still using DST. Timing of TATL flights gets complicated during that week every year.

65 mins is doable if the incoming flight is on time but very tight. I would try for an earlier arrival in FRA if possible.
Old Jul 24, 12, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
It looks like you are travelling during the week (last week of Oct/first week of Nov) after Europe ends summer time and the US is still using DST. Timing of TATL flights gets complicated during that week every year.

65 mins is doable if the incoming flight is on time but very tight. I would try for an earlier arrival in FRA if possible.
Yes ... it is that time of the year.
Old Jul 24, 12, 12:44 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post

It depends on whether you have to hit the transfer desk or not. Sometimes you can't get tickets printed ahead of time for the LH flight; then you're hosed. 65 minutes could be a big issue if you're in a 30 minute line at the transfer desk (been there, done that). On my last trip through FRA two weeks ago, the tickets printed so there were no issues. Other than those caused by having the fish selection in C on the way over the pond. That was an issue. Thank goodness I was able to find empty bathrooms at FRA this time!

Oops. OP pointed out I have things reversed. My concerns are for a transfer from United to LH, not the other way around. Lightly-loaded, I think you can make 65 minutes. If there are weather issues causing delays, that could be a problem, since the feeder flights are going to be more affected than international. My FRA-TLS flight took an extra 20 minutes or so due to flying around thunderstorms. Since it was my last flight on the itin, only damage was having to take a later train once on the ground.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jul 24, 12 at 3:12 pm Reason: Wrong info

Search this Thread