Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RossUK666
I'm going to be flying SFO-FRA-MAN and the connection time in FRA has reduced to 55 minutes. Seems still to be an OK connection to me but I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience of connecting at FRA.

I'm a UK passport holder arriving on UA and departing on LH.

Thanks.
The MCT from LH to LH involving intercontinental flights at FRA is usually 1 hour. 55 minutes might not be a legal connection. What time do you actually arrive and what time does the MAN flight depart? I can't see any 55 minutes connection from SFO-FRA to FRA-MAN on lufthansa.com.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The MCT from LH to LH involving intercontinental flights at FRA is usually 1 hour. 55 minutes might not be a legal connection. What time do you actually arrive and what time does the MAN flight depart? I can't see any 55 minutes connection from SFO-FRA to FRA-MAN on lufthansa.com.
Thanks for the response Newbie Runner (And I am working my way through the other long, long - but informative - thread about FRA )

I will arrive on UA900 (LH9053) at 09:45 and will depart on UA 9042 at 10:40. Departing flight is operated by BMI and is probably LH942. Only booked it yesterday (For August travel) and they moved the FRA-MAN to depart 10 mins earlier.

From what I've read (and I may be wrong!) I will arrive at Terminal 1 pier A, scuttle along through the tunnel to pier B, go through a security point (Is this just a passport check or baggage scan as well?) then make my way to the departure gate. Hopefully my wife will keep up with me Does that seem about right?

We're in C so that should help in being early off the plane.

Last edited by RossUK666; Mar 14, 2012 at 7:43 am Reason: Added flight code LH9053 - per LH timetable search.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:31 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Thanks for the response Newbie Runner (And I am working my way through the other long, long - but informative - thread about FRA )

I will arrive on UA900 (LH9053) at 09:45 and will depart on UA 9042 at 10:40. Departing flight is operated by BMI and is probably LH942. Only booked it yesterday (For August travel) and they moved the FRA-MAN to depart 10 mins earlier.

From what I've read (and I may be wrong!) I will arrive at Terminal 1 pier A, scuttle along through the tunnel to pier B, go through a security point (Is this just a passport check or baggage scan as well?) then make my way to the departure gate. Hopefully my wife will keep up with me Does that seem about right?

We're in C so that should help in being early off the plane.
The tunnel between A and B is in the Schengen area of the airport. Arriving from the US and departing to the UK there's no need to go through passport control to enter Schengen. If you arrive at a Z gate (non-Schengen level of Pier A), take the Skyline train from the middle of Pier A for one stop to B/C and follow the signs for your departure gate in B. You may have to re-clear security for your carry-ons thanks to the layout of FRA but no need to clear passport control. If your flight arrives at an apron position you will be brought to international arrivals B, and you just need to go up the escalator or elevator to the departure level (and go through security). There will be passport check before boarding any UK-bound flight because the UK insists you must be elibigle to enter the country before boarding your flight.

However, with any luck the new Pier A-Plus might be open by the time of your travel in August and all these may have changed. The FRA-MAN flight might be operated by LH rather than BMI if the sale of BMI goes ahead before August (which is likely). I think it's too early to start speculating the exact practicalities of the transfer at this stage. The good news is LH sells this connection on their website, so it is a legal connection. Assuming you are travelling on one PNR, the worst that can happen is you will be put on the next flight to MAN either directly or indirectly should you miss the connection.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks once again for your informative response NewbieRunner ^

I phoned United who confirmed that it was a valid connection pairing. I stressed that if I missed the connection I didn't want them to say "Well MCT is 60 mins". Let's hope I don't need to find out what to do if you're stuck in FRA for six hours
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:48 pm

I phoned United who confirmed that it was a valid connection pairing. I stressed that if I missed the connection I didn't want them to say "Well MCT is 60 mins". Let's hope I don't need to find out what to do if you're stuck in FRA for six hours
I'm inclined to trust LH more on this occasion since LH will have to find you an alternative way of getting to MAN if you miss the connection.

In the past we've heard of cases when United came up with impossibly short connections at FRA especially with award bookings. I usually check lufthansa.com to see if they sell the connection on their website. If they do, you can usually assume that they will look after you in case of any misconnect.

For what to do if you are stuck in FRA for 6 hours do a search for "FRA layover" in this forum.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
UA to BA in FRA: is 1:30 enough?

Two separate tickets. Inbound from EWR. Outbound to LHR. Summer travel. I appreciate insights from others!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
IMHO, 90 minutes is never enough at any airport in the world when you're on separate tickets. There's just too much chance of an in-bound flight being delayed, regardless of how long it takes to get through the airport.

Technically the minimum connection time for FRA is 45 minutes (which most people that have been there will tell you is insane). For UA->BA you'll need to go from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2, which basically means one end of the airport to the other. If your inbound is on time, you'll be fine. If the inbound is a bit late, and you get bused from the plane to the terminal, then you'll be cutting it very fine...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by docbert
IMHO, 90 minutes is never enough at any airport in the world when you're on separate tickets. There's just too much chance of an in-bound flight being delayed, regardless of how long it takes to get through the airport.

Technically the minimum connection time for FRA is 45 minutes (which most people that have been there will tell you is insane). For UA->BA you'll need to go from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2, which basically means one end of the airport to the other. If your inbound is on time, you'll be fine. If the inbound is a bit late, and you get bused from the plane to the terminal, then you'll be cutting it very fine...
Last time I transited FRA on UA, we were bussed which added an additional 20 minutes + we had to go through X-ray screening upon arrival at the terminal. So, anticipate at least 45 minutes for that goat rope...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:24 am

Considering you need to clear passport control, collect your bags and check-in for the next flight, 90 minutes is definitely not recommended. I'd leave myself 2.5h, when on separate tickets.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:27 am

Would he really need to clear immigration? LHR isn't in the Schengen area.

But I'd agree with the above that 1:30 is not enough.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by GRB051111
Would he really need to clear immigration? LHR isn't in the Schengen area.

But I'd agree with the above that 1:30 is not enough.
Only if he needs to re-check the bags with BA.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by nycvisitor
Only if he needs to re-check the bags with BA.
The last time I did this I didn't have a choice. Going to the train for T2 I had to clear passport control. On the good side T2 has security controls at the gate, so once you are through passport control it's kind of a breeze. UA will usually through check your bags in the US, which should help as well. 1.5 hours is only ever enough without delays, of course, so the question for you is not "is it enough" - it is if you aren't late - but are you willing to take the chance of a small delay + busing to terminal messing up your connection?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: 1MM UA
I would think they would interline your bags, but I would try to find out.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
Transfer in FRA

I'd appreciate on info/recommendation....I'm traveling in F to Barcelona from SFO via FRA (UA) and LH C (FRA to BCN.) Returning from Madrid (LH) to UA in FRA. When I get to FRA (both to/from), do I need clear an immigration check point, or can I go directly to a lounge? I see that I'm can get into certain LH lounges (Business, Senator, Welcome, Tower), which is best for 3 hour layover? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by davidsfo; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
I cannot speak to immigration, but you'll have to go through Security screening. The Senator lounge is very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.