Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA Still Provide Hotels to 1Ks for Weather Delay/Cancelation/Misconnect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA Still Provide Hotels to 1Ks for Weather Delay/Cancelation/Misconnect?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: Not care as much as before...
the hoteltonight app on iphone could be an alternative.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I never knew any airline got a room for you when it is a weather delay. I have heard it a million times if it's a weather issue they may sometimes give you a discount. I am a frequent flyer and get some benefits from that but really it is not fair just because you fly alot you get a hotel and everyone else in own their own.
Maybe I'm too old or have been flying too long (or both), but I remember when this was standard for everybody (and I think PMUA provided hotels for *G with WX disruptions on international itineraries).

In fact, I remember that it used to be the case that itineraries on overnight connections will include accommodations (and I think NH and JL still have this policy in some situations).
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I never knew any airline got a room for you when it is a weather delay. I have heard it a million times if it's a weather issue they may sometimes give you a discount. I am a frequent flyer and get some benefits from that but really it is not fair just because you fly alot you get a hotel and everyone else in own their own.
This was one of the main reason why I switched from US to UA 5 years ago.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
Next Chnage you will like

Heard the new change will a be Winnebago parked at C2 with a grill and hot dogs for weather delays. GS only.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA

In 2008 I was flying on NorthWest (paid F, no status) and got a free room due to weather cancel. (MSP)
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Got a hotel last week in HNL, but only after much back and forth about whose fault it was....

Just my guess, but if you're flying through a CO hub, it's probably a lot harder to get a hotel. If you are at a PMUA hub, and get some Tulip-agents, they'll be more likely to make the case to the supervisor and get an override if needed.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hobo13
Got a hotel last week in HNL, but only after much back and forth about whose fault it was....

Just my guess, but if you're flying through a CO hub, it's probably a lot harder to get a hotel. If you are at a PMUA hub, and get some Tulip-agents, they'll be more likely to make the case to the supervisor and get an override if needed.
Agreed! when I got my hotel on Saturday, the PMCO agent handling my rebooking originally tried to give me one of those pink 'Accommodations Plus' discounted hotel forms, until we discussed the reason UA will be paying for my hotel was due to a delay within their control (dispatch error.) The downside was that it looks like hotels are like everything else in this merger: crappy. In the past at SFO, I've gotten the Hilton, Hyatt, Crowne Plaza, Westin, etc. as a 1K. This time, the good 'ol Best Western...

The new hotel vouchers also show you how much United is paying for these hotels too, as there's an X'd out MasterCard number on the voucher that shows the hotel that it's been paid for. My Best Western? A lovely $41.95...

Agent also said he was 'helping me out' by giving me a $12 meal voucher for dinner, versus what SHARES was trying to kick out ($10)

It appears that the reasons I fell in love with UA (hotels for 1Ks during IROPS, being able to be protected on alternative flights, and much more.) are going by the wayside, and reasons I'm falling out of love with UA.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by twebst
Heard the new change will a be Winnebago parked at C2 with a grill and hot dogs for weather delays. GS only.
This is correct, but you have to pay for the hot dogs!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Ive known golds last week who got hotel for weather on domestic to boot.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The AW (Air Wisconsin) sup was just wearing a safety vest and dress clothes, so he looked like an ideal person to ask.

sounds like a truely rare instance of great service during and Irrops....... ^

I wonder if this person Still is around. Any news on similar instances at IAD?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
A family member (platinum) got hotel and 3 meal vouchers when getting stuck at ORD just a few days ago. His delay was about 20 hours.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
No Hotel Voucher Given

I'm feeling a bit irritated by United after I received a response from customer care regarding an issue that irked me a bit while travelling from ORD-CLD on March 4th.

The flight was cancelled due to weather and I was booked on the first flight out in the morning. I asked if they had a discount hotel voucher and I was told they did not. I booked in at the Radisson at LAX. When I arrived there were about 10 other people in line. All of them, 100% had vouchers for a discounted stay from United.

I sent a short note in explaining what happened and this is the response I received:

Thank you for contacting Continental.

Each airport has a limited number of distressed passenger vouchers. The decision to provide the vouchers is based on several factors, including where the customer originated. I sincerely regret that you were unable to secure a voucher for your stay.

Thank you again, for contacting Continental.

While the PNR I was on had originated in Chicago, a busy travel schedule meant I was actually flying in from Germany on a United flight with a seperate PNR. I told the gate agent this and she was very kind but said that United hadn't authorized them to give passengers a voucher. At the hotel, I saw another woman from my flight who threw a tantrum with a voucher.

If they offer no discount vouchers to anyone, fine. I won't complain. It is when it is done so incredibly inconsistently that it makes me upset.

Am I completely off base here?

And the form letter I received that says Continental sort of made me laugh.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by MichaelWCS

Thank you for contacting Continental.

Each airport has a limited number of distressed passenger vouchers. The decision to provide the vouchers is based on several factors, including where the customer originated. I sincerely regret that you were unable to secure a voucher for your stay.

Thank you again, for contacting Continental.

And the form letter I received that says Continental sort of made me laugh.
Are you a PMUA 1K or a PMCO platinum?
PMUA used to give out hotel voucher to 1Ks even it was due to WX while
PMCO didn't.
PMUA 1K desk usually provided some kind of compensation for this "unfair"
treatment but PMCO CS is known as WE DON'T CARE.
So, I am not surprised that you get this kind response.
I feel so sorry for you and I am so worried about my future travel with
COdbaUA.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:52 am

But, But, aren't we still 1K's on United???
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by LilAbner
But, But, aren't we still 1K's on United???
But, but the airlines is not United anymore and it's COdbaUA.

Although your wife didn't change her last name, she changed her gender.
She SHARES her love with too many men and can't take care of you now.
It's time to ride Alex's best friends, ANA, EVA.....

Last edited by pigx5; Mar 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.