Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO United Red carpet access with Prioritypass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

I have never used SFO before and i am not familiar with the airport.
Will be flying Virgin America but i have the Priority Pass card and the only lounge in the International Terminal is the one from United.

Can somebody tell me if there is a different security check for these two airlines? I am afraid that since the UAL lounge is airside i wont be able to use it. The other option would be to use the one from Continental at T1 Concourse B, this one is listed as "lanside". How far is it from T1 to the international Terminal?

Thanks for any help!!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
VX is in Terminal A, and UA is in Terminal G. Those are on opposite sides of the International Terminal. I'm not sure if there's an airside connection between them.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
No luck. The NW lounge used to be PP (in the A pier). You can use CO in T-1 (not a far walk to the A gates) - it is landside, before the "20s" gates in the main hallway area. But nothing airside. You can't get between A and G (the int'l piers).
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
VX is in Terminal A, and UA is in Terminal G. Those are on opposite sides of the International Terminal. I'm not sure if there's an airside connection between them.
(They are actually just different piers of the same terminal - but not connected airside.)
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: SSSS Preferred, UA 1K
Before the link between the United domestic/T1 gates and G bypassed security, I regularly walked over to G and never had a problem clearing security with my domestic BP. It was advice here on FT that said to just tell security you want to go to a restaurant in that terminal and they'll let you through.

I re-used the "want to go to a restaurant" in IAH last night to get to the C terminal to have dinner with co-workers before they flew out, and the TSA ID screener said it was not a problem as long as I possessed a same-day BP.

In my opinion, the President's Club at SFO, despite being land-side, would not be worth the effort to visit. The intl RCC _would_ be worth the effort to walk across the international hall if you wanted to sit in a lounge, though don't expect to find any free booze there.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Do you have a Amex Platinum card? If so you can use the AA and other lounges FOC.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anotherbrian
In my opinion, the President's Club at SFO, despite being land-side, would not be worth the effort to visit. The intl RCC _would_ be worth the effort to walk across the international hall if you wanted to sit in a lounge, though don't expect to find any free booze there.
For convenience, a free drink (or coffee, etc.) and free Wi-Fi, the PC makes sense. For a nice spacious lounge, with paid drinks and paid Wi-Fi and an extra security check (if they let you through), the RCC makes sense. The PC is a smallish darkish space, but is a fine-enough spot to spend 45 minutes.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help!
Vey useful information.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:44 pm

Both piers?

I've flown on VX from both sides of the International Terminal, so they use both A/G concourses, or at least they did last year.

Last edited by Potreroflyr; Feb 4, 2010 at 3:49 pm Reason: called concourses not piers
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
For convenience, a free drink (or coffee, etc.) and free Wi-Fi, the PC makes sense. For a nice spacious lounge, with paid drinks and paid Wi-Fi and an extra security check (if they let you through), the RCC makes sense. The PC is a smallish darkish space, but is a fine-enough spot to spend 45 minutes.
The PC is cozy, but has the obvious advantage of being groundside: One can use it before flying any airline, or even none at all if your PC access is unrestricted. ^ I've also always found the staff to be very friendly.

Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
I've flown on VX from both sides of the International Terminal, so they use both A/G concourses, or at least they did last year.
VX is mainly based in A (their ticket counter is the one closest to the A security checkpoint). But their planes do occasionally get sent to G, presumably during peak periods. I have yet to be on a VX flight in or out of G.

Last edited by GoAmtrak; Feb 4, 2010 at 6:01 pm Reason: confused Terminals A and G!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
VX is mainly based in G (their ticket counter is the one closest to the G security checkpoint)
I think you have the terminal backwards. UA is closest to the G checkpoint. According to the SFO web site (http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/atsfo...sh/airlines/#V),
Virgin America
Virgin America flights are located in the International Terminal, Boarding Area A, Gates A1 through A12.
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I have yet to be on a VX flight in or out of A.
And all of my VX flights have been out of A.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think you have the terminal backwards. UA is closest to the G checkpoint. According to the SFO web site (http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/atsfo...sh/airlines/#V),

And all of my VX flights have been out of A.
Argh... My bad, you're right. VX is based out of A, occasionally goes out of G.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Not sure which Priority Pass plan you are on, but if it's the one where you must pay as you go (which I believe is $25 per lounge admittance), then I would recommend just spending $10 more and getting a Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse pass for $35. It is outside security on the Int'l A concourse and features complimentary meal service (with waiter), cocktails, computers with free internet, and a shower. It's by far the best business class lounge at SFO (better than BA IMHO). You can purchase these at the Virgin America (not Virgin Atlantic) ticket counter and from most VX gate agents at SFO, provided you are an Elevate member (or are booked in FC or MCS).

Check their hours of operation though (I think they are open 12:30-4pm).
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jujube
Do you have a Amex Platinum card? If so you can use the AA and other lounges FOC.
You must be flying AA to use their lounge with Amex Plat
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by John26
Not sure which Priority Pass plan you are on, but if it's the one where you must pay as you go (which I believe is $25 per lounge admittance), then I would recommend just spending $10 more and getting a Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse pass for $35. It is outside security on the Int'l A concourse and features complimentary meal service (with waiter), cocktails, computers with free internet, and a shower. It's by far the best business class lounge at SFO (better than BA IMHO). You can purchase these at the Virgin America (not Virgin Atlantic) ticket counter and from most VX gate agents at SFO, provided you are an Elevate member (or are booked in FC or MCS).

Check their hours of operation though (I think they are open 12:30-4pm).
Don't expect Clubhouse access through Virgin America (VX) if you're not flying with them, even as an Elevate member. Contrary to what their help site implies, a same-day VX ticket is required to purchase SFO Clubhouse access, even though the page says quite plainly, "[E]levate members may access the San Francisco Clubhouse."

I was flying UA over the weekend. When I went to the VX counter to purchase a Clubhouse pass as an Elevate member, the agent said (and a manager verified) that Clubhouse access is granted only by stamping a same-day VX boarding pass. Thus, VX could not sell a standalone pass. I showed them the printout of the above linked web page, and they said it was wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.