Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Bicycle - Related Fees, Policies, etc. on United" Thread [Merged]

Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Bicycles
We’ll accept non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked bags.

If the bicycles are packed in a container that’s more than 50 pounds (23 kilograms) and/or 62 total linear inches (158 centimeters) (length + width + height), they’ll be subject to standard service charges for oversized and overweight bags. Service charges for first, second and extra checked bags may apply.

If the bicycles are packed in a container that’s less than 50 pounds (23 kilograms) and 62 total linear inches (158 centimeters), they won’t be subject to service charges.

Service charges for first or second checked bags may apply.

There are a few restrictions to traveling with bicycles:
  • The handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed, or all loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material, or the bicycle should be transported in a sealed box
  • If your itinerary includes a United Express® flight, please contact us for information about limits with space on the aircraft
  • We’re not liable for damage to bicycles that don’t have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material, or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases
Note: We won’t accept bicycles during certain periods when oversized, overweight and extra bags aren’t allowed.
older policy
Bicycles

United accepts non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 pounds (23 kg) and/or 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $150 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a $200 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for all other travel. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but the first or second checked bag service charges may apply.

The following are bicycle restrictions:
  • Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed, or
  • All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material, or
  • Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box.
  • If your itinerary includes a United Express flight, please contact United for information regarding aircraft cargo hold limits
  • United is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material, or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.

Note: Bicycles will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Bicycle - Related Fees, Policies, etc. on United" Thread [Merged]

Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
F9

Bikes fly FREE on Frontier
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA MM
Many of the sport bikes that "fold" (frame separates into two halves) still have a relatively square shape of container bag. Looks distinctive in shape and awkward to pack inside another bag which then has a different shape.

Agreed that its just another nickle and dime the pax policy. As you sign a waiver, they don't have to pay if they damage your "guitar" so to speak.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:15 am

Seems ridiculous to charge extra for a bagged anything that meets both size and weight restrictions for normal checked baggage..

OTOH it seems ... odd.. (to me at least) that folks expect items that ARE oversize to NOT attract the usual fee...

I'm curious as to why some think certain items - surfboards or skis for example - should NOT attract the fee that other oversize items do...

Am I missing something.. or is it a feeling of entitlement over sports equipment or what?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
unfortunately LH and US as well

I also travel regularly with a bike. Both of my full suspension mountain bikes can be broken down enough to fit the fork and frame pieces into a standard 62" suitcase. For the 26" wheels I use a special bike wheel case that is none-the-less under the 62" L+W+H limit.

I've also encountered both US and LH check in agents over the last year who suspected that the wheel case contained something special, asked what was inside, and insisted on collecting the bike fee. Both used to be fairly relaxed about bikes. In years past I was seldom charged on business class transatlantics or first class domestic.

No luck with the "bike parts" line, since of course I never mention the frame in the regular suitcase. Wheels alone are enough to get hit up with the bike fee! The official justification I received was higher TSA inspection costs, since the TSA will generally open and inspect anything containing a bike. I'd assume this cost, however, if even backcharged to the airline, is nowhere near $200!

The last couple of months I've returned to bringing a full-size bike case on LH and US since it's less work for me and I will anyway get hit up for the $200/Euro 150 bike fees. Sad to hear that UA is now going down the same route.

As someone else mentioned, Frontier has no extra bike fee. For transatlantics, British Airways is the only carrier I'm aware of that treats bikes as normal luggage (no oversize or special bike fee).

Although I'm LH Gold (Senator), I've shifted two trips onto BA over the past summer precisely because Star Alliance ticket + bike fees is more than BA ticket + no bike fee.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I'm trying to figure out why they charge more for shipping a bike than for shipping "other." If you ship (via UPS or some other company) this size case, do they differentiate? Would they charge different insurance?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Surftel
United just changed their baggage policy and are forcing me to change carriers.

I am a cyclist. Like many cyclist who travel a lot I have a specially made bike that fits into a regulation sized bag. There are many companies that do this (S&S, Ritchey) These bikes break down to fit into a regulation size bag (61") and my bag, with bike, seldom weigh more then 40 pounds.

United's new policy now charges $100 each way for a regulation sized bag if it contains a bicycle. No other Airline charges in this manner.

I am a 1K with close to 1,000,000 miles. United has forced me to fly other carriers who do not charge extra for regulation sized bags based on content
For this one, UA actually isn't that bad. If your thinking of switching carriers and going to my beloved DL, they charge $150.00 each way for a bike. I've got a Trek Madone 5.5 pro and as much as I would love to travel with it, I can't justify paying the $300.00 RT to transport it.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
For this one, UA actually isn't that bad. If your thinking of switching carriers and going to my beloved DL, they charge $150.00 each way for a bike. I've got a Trek Madone 5.5 pro and as much as I would love to travel with it, I can't justify paying the $300.00 RT to transport it.
Certainly DL's charges for a bike in an over sized bike box have been some of the highest in the industry. For a while they were charging $300 each way!

However this is special bike that fits into a regulation sized bag. DL does not charge extra for a regulation sized bag based on contents.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pete3
I also travel regularly with a bike. Both of my full suspension mountain bikes can be broken down enough to fit the fork and frame pieces into a standard 62" suitcase. For the 26" wheels I use a special bike wheel case that is none-the-less under the 62" L+W+H limit.

I've also encountered both US and LH check in agents over the last year who suspected that the wheel case contained something special, asked what was inside, and insisted on collecting the bike fee. Both used to be fairly relaxed about bikes. In years past I was seldom charged on business class transatlantics or first class domestic.

No luck with the "bike parts" line, since of course I never mention the frame in the regular suitcase. Wheels alone are enough to get hit up with the bike fee! The official justification I received was higher TSA inspection costs, since the TSA will generally open and inspect anything containing a bike. I'd assume this cost, however, if even backcharged to the airline, is nowhere near $200!

The last couple of months I've returned to bringing a full-size bike case on LH and US since it's less work for me and I will anyway get hit up for the $200/Euro 150 bike fees. Sad to hear that UA is now going down the same route.

As someone else mentioned, Frontier has no extra bike fee. For transatlantics, British Airways is the only carrier I'm aware of that treats bikes as normal luggage (no oversize or special bike fee).

Although I'm LH Gold (Senator), I've shifted two trips onto BA over the past summer precisely because Star Alliance ticket + bike fees is more than BA ticket + no bike fee.
You were charged incorrectly. I have flown on both airlines with my regulation bag and not been charged.

A good recommendation is to email the airlines support email with the question if a regulation sized bag will be charged if there is a bike in it. I then print out the response and on the rare occasion that I have an issue at the gate I can produce an email showing what the official policy is.

I did this with United when they made an ambiguous change in their policy a while back. I tried again with this change and they made it very clear that despite my bag being regulation sized I would be charged.

I have asked for an explanation but no response from 1kvoice. Perhaps they don't want to say the obvious, it is a just a way to raise $$$
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
As far as I know nothing on a bike is illegal to have in checked baggage, so when that ask "is this a bike?"

My response would be "Please weigh and check the size of the bag, I think you'll find it meets your baggage regulations." and ignore the question of whether or not it's a bike.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EricH
I'm trying to figure out why they charge more for shipping a bike than for shipping "other."
My guess is that there's a real liability issue here. If they damage the bike in some non-obvious way that makes it dangerous to ride, they could be held liable for all your medical bills (or worse).
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:49 am

A friend has a Bike Friday and it fits into a Samsonite. Is the new policy applicable here as well? She's not going to be a happy camper ...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by malgudi
A friend has a Bike Friday and it fits into a Samsonite. Is the new policy applicable here as well? She's not going to be a happy camper ...
Better warn her in advance. Technically, yup - she's liable for a bike fee.

Stupid policy? Hell yes. Does it affect her? Sadly, yes.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:08 pm

This used to be the case at JetBlue.

It appears as if sanity prevailed there (with a little help from publicity). Sadly, sanity and reason rarely win the day at UA.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My guess is that there's a real liability issue here. If they damage the bike in some non-obvious way that makes it dangerous to ride, they could be held liable for all your medical bills (or worse).
You are now required to sign a waiver so I doubt this is the concern
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I took a bike in an oversized bag last year on a UA TPAC. They didn't charge me a nickel and they got an agent to help me to carry it to my car at NRT. I was very impressed and thought how nice it was. Too bad UA has become so petty on this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.