Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Bicycle - Related Fees, Policies, etc. on United" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Bicycles
We’ll accept non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked bags.

If the bicycles are packed in a container that’s more than 50 pounds (23 kilograms) and/or 62 total linear inches (158 centimeters) (length + width + height), they’ll be subject to standard service charges for oversized and overweight bags. Service charges for first, second and extra checked bags may apply.

If the bicycles are packed in a container that’s less than 50 pounds (23 kilograms) and 62 total linear inches (158 centimeters), they won’t be subject to service charges.

Service charges for first or second checked bags may apply.

There are a few restrictions to traveling with bicycles:
  • The handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed, or all loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material, or the bicycle should be transported in a sealed box
  • If your itinerary includes a United Express® flight, please contact us for information about limits with space on the aircraft
  • We’re not liable for damage to bicycles that don’t have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material, or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases
Note: We won’t accept bicycles during certain periods when oversized, overweight and extra bags aren’t allowed.
older policy
Bicycles

United accepts non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 pounds (23 kg) and/or 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $150 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a $200 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for all other travel. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but the first or second checked bag service charges may apply.

The following are bicycle restrictions:
  • Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed, or
  • All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material, or
  • Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box.
  • If your itinerary includes a United Express flight, please contact United for information regarding aircraft cargo hold limits
  • United is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material, or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.

Note: Bicycles will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Bicycle - Related Fees, Policies, etc. on United" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by carvalh2
This may sound crazy, but here is an idea:
Have you thought about shipping the bike via UPS or FEDEX or DHL? Maybe you could ship some parts of it ahead of time (like both wheels, handle bars, and pedals), and just bring the frame with you. It should fit in a box that would get charged like a regular bag.

Or maybe split it into two boxes, and pay for a 3rd bag. I don't bike much, so Idk how complicated it would be to take the bike apart...

If traveling domestically, FEDEX or UPS ground would surely be cheaper than $100, and you KNOW your bike will get there.

I don't have to remind anyone here, but have you seen how baggage handlers throw bags around? If you haven't, it's like watching sausage being made.
A standard bike box, shipped transcon, can run to $130 as UPS claims that it bulges by half an inch on the sides and thus goes beyond OS2 sizing rules. Transatlantic or Pacific? Don't even think about it. Rates being at $500 and go up from there. It's become absurd.

Under the rules, at least Continental gives you a chance of doing it at no charge by allowing it to go within normal baggage regulations (and thus, as you point out, it's possible to put it into two smaller boxes that fit within their sizing regulations for normal baggage). Most airlines do not... no matter what the size, if it's a bike, you get nailed.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Silver
It has become outragious to travel with bikes. I enjoyed watching United throw my bike onto my plane last year. It weighed around 50 pounds and could of been more, so why would anyone throw something of that mass size? It is bad for your back, and extremly unfair to the high paying customer. I'm hoping that United/Continental/US Airways can all agree on one price for bikes. Hopefully something lower. If you are traveling on CO to UA with a bike, what would you be charged for a bike?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by carvalh2
.... and just bring the frame with you. It should fit in a box that would get charged like a regular bag.
Unless you're very short with a small bike, the frame (by itself) will not fit in suitcase size bag / box. The frame is too long. By itself, the frame fits in a box which is very obviously a bike box.

For regular travel with a bike and / or touring, look for a bike that disassembles into two pieces. The top tube and down tube have couplers that disconnect. Consider having a (steel) frame retrofit with S and S couplers.

Raleigh makes some great bikes that fit in a travel suitcase. The road bikes are affordable. The mountain bike version...frame alone is more than an Orba costs.

I'm intrigued by the Slingshot travel bike, because I've always been intrigued by Slingshot.

A number of people have had S&S couplers retrofit onto Surly bikes. It's somewhat fitting to use a Surly for this.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by daganderson
It has become outragious to travel with bikes. I enjoyed watching United throw my bike onto my plane last year. It weighed around 50 pounds and could of been more, so why would anyone throw something of that mass size? It is bad for your back, and extremly unfair to the high paying customer. I'm hoping that United/Continental/US Airways can all agree on one price for bikes. Hopefully something lower. If you are traveling on CO to UA with a bike, what would you be charged for a bike?
The best handling my bike ever received was many years ago, flying out for the Worlds in Colorado Springs (no, I wasn't racing then) on CO I think. Pretty sure it was. Instead of boxing my bike, I bubble-wrapped it (no box), which they said was allowable. I watched it being loaded onto and off of the planes, and it was always treated very nicely.

I have not dared to "pack" a bike that way again. Maybe I should? But there's a theory that says there's an area in the cargo hold for bike boxes. That's the theory. And we know baggage is always handled in an orderly manner.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Started elite member bicycle roll-call on UA forum

Check out this post on what's become the master UA bicycle fee thread.

I would suggest that someone start the same thing here for CO elites. It's surprising how many upper-tier elites are affected by the bicycle fee, and if someone were to coordinate a letter/email sent by each to CO, you never know, it could make a difference!

Also, someone suggested an event (a DO) that we could fly into with our bikes. That could be an interesting way to highlight the issue, because many of us would be flying in on a carrier that was more favorable to bicycles. And if anyone was interested in such an event in France in July... ^

Thanks-

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jan 24, 2010 at 10:42 am
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:32 pm

There's no reason CO should be flying bikes around for free. They are bulky and take up precious cargo space. Next thing you know, animal lovers will be demanding CO fly their pets around for free, surfers with surfboards, etc etc. If it's unusual size or weight, alive, you should have to pay for it. You know, you don't HAVE to travel with all that stuff.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Did you try US Airways?

For some reason, US Airways is now often the cheapest for oversize/overweight baggage (see here). They list a $100 fee for a bike that goes over 62 in. but if you can keep it under that it counts within the baggage allowance. They do not differentiate between domestic and international so if any of their TATL flights work it will cost less than the competition. That is, right now.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pptp
There's no reason CO should be flying bikes around for free. They are bulky and take up precious cargo space. Next thing you know, animal lovers will be demanding CO fly their pets around for free, surfers with surfboards, etc etc. If it's unusual size or weight, alive, you should have to pay for it. You know, you don't HAVE to travel with all that stuff.
  1. Some airlines (not Continental, as pointed out by PPTP... I originally said otherwise) will charge you $100+ to bring your bike, even if it fits into a regulation-size suitcase (as some folding bikes do).

2. For that $100, Continental (nor other airlines) takes no added responsibility for your baggage, and in fact will have you sign a waiver that basically says they can drop kick it out of the back of the plane at 37,000ft and it's your tough luck.

3. Continental (and other airlines) don't charge to haul around golf clubs, which aren't in nice square-corner boxes, are very expensive (like bikes) and do get damaged during travel (like bikes).

4. "Free" would be nice, but most of us feel something closer to $50, which Southwest, JetBlue and AirCanada charge, is reasonable.

5. The demographics of those who travel long distance with their bikes are highly skewed towards upper elites (as seen in the UA bike thread). These are people the airline wants to have fly with them.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jan 24, 2010 at 6:21 pm Reason: pptp pointed out incorrect information
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
  1. Continental (and other airlines) says they'll charge you $100 to bring your bike, even if it fits into a regulation-size suitcase (as some folding bikes do).

2. For that $100, Continental (nor other airlines) takes no added responsibility for your baggage, and in fact will have you sign a waiver that basically says they can drop kick it out of the back of the plane at 37,000ft and it's your tough luck.

3. Continental (and other airlines) don't charge to haul around golf clubs, which aren't in nice square-corner boxes, are very expensive (like bikes) and do get damaged during travel (like bikes).

Hmmm, maybe you missed this on the CO site:

"If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is under 50 lbs (23kg) and 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but, if applicable, the first or second bag fee applies."

Golf bags are no different than bikes although the wording is different:

"If applicable, the first or second fee applies to golf equipment.

Golfing equipment containers measuring over 62” (157 cm) L+H+W that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate golf equipment will be subject to an oversize fee."

I'm sure #2 is basically saying: Look, we don't really want or have to take your oversize, heavy and/or breakable stuff, but if you really want us to, we will, but not if you hold us responsible for it.

Last edited by pptp; Jan 24, 2010 at 6:19 pm
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pptp
Hmmm, maybe you missed this on the CO site:

"If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is under 50 lbs (23kg) and 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but, if applicable, the first or second bag fee applies."

Golf bags are no different than bikes although the wording is different:

"If applicable, the first or second fee applies to golf equipment.

Golfing equipment containers measuring over 62” (157 cm) L+H+W that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate golf equipment will be subject to an oversize fee."
Works for me! ^

Thanks for pointing that out. My head is a bit too UA-centric. My apologies, and I suspect I'll be flying CO when I've got my bike. At least one advantage to (most) cyclists is that we don't take up much space in the seat. No worries that we'll ask you to put the arm rest up.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
At least one advantage to (most) cyclists is that we don't take up much space in the seat.
Thankfully true! I think I need to go dust off my mountain bike. If only I could find some mountains in Houston.

Oh, and if your bike+packaging weighs over 50 lbs, you gotta get a lighter bike!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum; United 1MM, 1K
Back in the 80's, a membership in LAB (League of American Bicyclists) would include a benefit of free bicycle transportation on one specific airline IF you booked through one specific travel agency. When this benefit went away, I dropped my membership in the organization.

I just took a look at their website and they currently give a $10 discount to Sports Express for shipping bikes... which would make it $140 to ship roundtrip form IAH to BOS.

HOWEVER.... back when I was traveling with a bike, I heard a few rumors of people instead of stuffing the bike in a bike box (which is a royal pain by the way!) they would take the pedals off and turn the handlebars and then encase all of the tubes with pipe insulation, but leave the wheels rotational. The though was the baggage handlers would rather roll a light blob of pipe insulation then have to man handle a big (but light) box.

NOW THEN... if you look at the way the continental web site phrases the requirements https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...ge/sports.aspx I interpret it to say:
IF the bike is in a container that is over 50 lbs... blah blah blah

IF the bike is in a container that is NOT over 50 lbs... blah blah blah

(heres the important part...)
Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed or

* All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material or
* Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box. If a box is needed, see the Courtesy Bags section of this site.
* Continental is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.

OK, so If I remove the pedals and pack them in a suitcase and turn and secure the handlebars to be inline with the bike frame... I think there is no fee beyond the standard baggage fees (none since I'm still Gold). And even better, I think they are actually liable for damage.

Do I have this right?

As it happens, I have two bikes.... my pride and joy... and the "beater" that I bought for $20 at a police auction that I used to use to commute into Boston in the winter... 20 years ago.

So, I think I will try this experiment. What do you guys think will happen?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:46 am

Old post revived but, I imagine the OP is already over for the tour. Flown quite a bit with my bike. They always charged fees. $100 seems to be in the ball park. Always recommend getting a proper bike box. As the airlines are rough with things like that (last trip they broke the bike box).

On a side note, unless you have some organize rides planned, travelling to the tour with a bike isn't the best idea. I have done it several times (but at the time only from the UK) As you are always trying to find places to keep it safe and such. Not to say it isn't useful getting up to the mountain stages. But the amount of use I got out of it vs the hassle it was, really wasn't worth it. Although I can say I cycled up Alp d' Huez.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: CO-Gold
I ferreted out this thread and read it with interest a few weeks back as I wanted to take my bicycle with me on one specific business trip this summer. Last week I did it, so here is my experience (I am an Elite Gold).

I packaged my Trek road bike in a Serfa Bike Armour box. I don't care what anyone says or promises, I wanted to protect my baby as much as possible. I put the seat, pedals, and small parts in my suitcase. The box with bike in it weighed just under 50 pounds, and I also put a big strap around the outside of it and cinched it down just in case it got dropped on the tarmac and any of the hinges came loose.

Flew IAH-MKE on an RJ both ways. Pre-paid the $100 oversize fee during on-line check in. At both airports, the gate agents were very helpful, and surprisingly the box was never weighed.

At MKE the box came down the chute onto the carousel with all the other luggage. At IAH it was brought into Terminal B baggage claim door with other oversize bags. At both airports, I opened up the box to inspect for damage before I left the baggage claim area.

The TSA had opened it on both trips to have a look. They did a clumsy job of re-connecting the inside straps, but they had at least done so.

Overall it was a positive experience, and I wouldn't hesitate to travel on Continental with my bike again.

I would advise anyone travelling with a bike to get a proper case for it, though. I paid a lot for my bike, and the thought of stuffing it in an ordinary cardboard box, or even a suitcase, just to save some money was out of the question. I kept my eye on Craigslist and found someone selling theirs for almost nothing.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I paid $100 to bring my Bike to Tokyo in June. It would be impossible to make any sort of normal biycycle fit the "free" allowance, expect to pay the $100 fee each direction, and I believe it still must meet your checked baggage weight limit, which was 70 lbs for me, no problem.
It's not impossible, I've done it. Requires a bike that seperates in the middle. Like a full suspension design, where the rear fork articulates on a hinge and can be unbolted from the main frame. Managed to split 2 bike boxes in half, merge them together to make 2 seperate boxes within the total inch limits, put the frame in one, and the wheels in the other. The weight is no issue at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.