Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Options at NRT" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Current thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1649271-consolidated-ua-gold-lounge-options-nrt-thread-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lounge Options at NRT" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by TA
UA lounge has outside windows (if I remember), and ANA does not.
NH lounge closest to UA is underground and does not have windows. However, the NH lounge down by the Number 5 Satellite (Gates in the 50s) is on the fourth floor, I believe, and certainly has a nice view out of its windows. I always use the NH lounge and have never understood the fuss about the showers or the soaps/shampoo, etc. YMMV.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Agree about all but the last. In the ANA C/*G lounge, the staff will completely ignore you if you aren't Japanese - last time I was there, I built an impressive line of empty plates and glasses that were apparently invisible. The F lounge is a different matter...
I have to disagree with you. I use the ANA F or C lounge instead of the UA F lounge or Uclub simply because ANA has a smoking room. In all the times I have used the ANA Suites lounge or C lounge the women there have taken fantastic care if me. They make me my drinks in ANA, UA does not, they come find me for the showers, UA does not. Don't get me wrong, the UA IFCL @ NRT is one of UA's better lounges & the ANA lounge is nothing special. Certainly not an F lounge like LH/EK/LX/QR/AF have, but the service and attention are excellent (AFAIC)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe the noodle bar at NH lounge will help you make the decision...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
UA RCC (C Lounge) -> I never go anymore. Consistently way too crowded before all the outbound TPAC afternoon flights. The food is basically non existent. The alcohol is fine if that's what you are there for. The bathrooms / showers I find subpar and the service is non existent. The location is quite convenient to most UA gates.

NH C Lounges -> Both locations are decent. Depending on where your gate is, the likely closer lounge has no windows. The food is a step up from the UA RCC given the noodle bar, but honestly, I find the quality of those "noodle soups" to be waning over the years. These are large lounges and I find them to also be crowded, but configured in a way that doesn't feel as crowded as the RCC. The other snacks are so-so, but as I said, better than the RCC. The alcohol is ok, but I actually prefer the offerings at the RCC in that category. The location isn't convenient to most UA gates, but the walk is generally 10 minutes. Service is relatively good here if you have any questions. I also like the bathroom and shower setup. The NH C lounge to the *left* after immigration is my go to NRT lounge when traveling in C.

UA GFL -> The Global First Lounge (upstairs from the RCC) is quite nice. Good views, decent food and alcohol, and I've never seen it crowded. Even though this is the new UA, I find the service here to be quite decent! Their dim sum bar is good, and there is always plenty of food. I generally prefer this as my go to lounge when traveling in *A F.

NH Suite Lounge -> ANA's first class lounge is adjacent to their C lounges. The kitchen is shared, so the "noodle bar" items are similar (and poor quality IMHO). The other food offered here is decent, but has been going downhill over the years. The service is good, but cold. I find they take forever and a day to replace the food items. The food itself is a very Japanese take on western food and honestly I find most of it to be pretty subpar. I'd rather eat on the plane in F - yes, that bad. The alcohol is decent, but I prefer the UA GFL for food and beverage. The views from the lounge are nice, and it's often relatively quiet, but on occasion for some reason it has gotten incredibly crowded. I sometimes stop by here when on *A F, but not always.

And yes, you can go to either the C or F lounges as many times as you want on the same boarding pass, revenue or award, etc. They are quite flexible in this manner.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
how would you compare the UA to ANA F lounges?
Good point about not getting UA announcements in the ANA lounge -- I never thought of that.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
ahh you answered just as i was typing the question!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Also, keep in mind that the one ANA lounge (the subterranean one) is usually closer to the UA gates, but you can get to the other lounge by using the tunnel connecting one end of the terminal with the other - you don't have to wind your way through the entire terminal/shopping area
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ainternational
UA RCC (C Lounge) -> (,,,) The bathrooms / showers I find subpar and the service is non existent.
Service in the lounge in my 10 years of transit there has ranged from excellent to excellent. The shower rooms are clean, include a toilet facility within the room, showers are spacious with great water pressure, and rooms have fans to keep the humid factor down. Better amenities (at least when they are in a kit) v. ANA tear pouches.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
they come find me for the showers, UA does not
UA gives pager pucks like some US restaurants that vibrate and light up, that system is most efficient IMHO.

I can't find a negative thing to say about service by UA @ NRT, in the club, at transit counters, security, gate service, anything. NRT ground staff just rocks. But I suspect that is more a NRT thing and not necessarily a UA unique thing.

My dealings with ANA staff have been great too.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:06 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
In the UA F lounge at NRT right now and I must say that for me this is the better lounge mainly because the internet actually works here.

I first visited the ANA Suite lounge and while as everyone else said everyone is very friendly and service is amazing the lounge internet didn't work. They tried for about 1h to get it to work but it would take you to the log-in page, lets you confirm the T&C and then takes you back to select your language followed by the login-page...you get the drift. That's just not acceptable for any FCL.

The food by the way I found less than impressive at the ANA lounge unless you like food that looks nice but has no taste or you like cold pancakes. I give the food in the lounge a big

As I had over 4h to kill I decided to try the UA F lounge. I'm the only one here. Staff weren't friendly and no one looks after you here but I don't mind because at least the internet works. I would rate the food here pretty much as bad as in the ANA lounge....until I discovered that they had Edamame which absolutely made my day And they also have fresh fruit which you couldn't get at the ANA lounge.

Ah, and in case anyone asks, the free airport wifi also worked without any problems but once inside the ANA lounge there was no reception anymore, so one can only use the ANA wifi.

Look forward to a few quiet hours now in the UA lounge.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I prefer the UA lounges to the NH lounges. GFL in particular in very nice.. quiet and tastefully appointed. Doesn't compare to LH F in FRA or TG F in BKK but still very nice. I think the NH lounges are over-rated.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by 5khours
I prefer the UA lounges to the NH lounges. GFL in particular in very nice.. quiet and tastefully appointed. Doesn't compare to LH F in FRA or TG F in BKK but still very nice. I think the NH lounges are over-rated.
Hot damn, the TG F lounge in BKK is truly amazing... This has got to be the flagship lounge IMHO.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
If you like tea, the ANA lounge seems to have the best selection of teas anywhere.

Will be back there next Thu am.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ainternational
UA RCC (C Lounge) -> I never go anymore. Consistently way too crowded before all the outbound TPAC afternoon flights. The food is basically non existent. The alcohol is fine if that's what you are there for. The bathrooms / showers I find subpar and the service is non existent. The location is quite convenient to most UA gates.

NH C Lounges -> Both locations are decent. Depending on where your gate is, the likely closer lounge has no windows. The food is a step up from the UA RCC given the noodle bar, but honestly, I find the quality of those "noodle soups" to be waning over the years. These are large lounges and I find them to also be crowded, but configured in a way that doesn't feel as crowded as the RCC. The other snacks are so-so, but as I said, better than the RCC. The alcohol is ok, but I actually prefer the offerings at the RCC in that category. The location isn't convenient to most UA gates, but the walk is generally 10 minutes. Service is relatively good here if you have any questions. I also like the bathroom and shower setup. The NH C lounge to the *left* after immigration is my go to NRT lounge when traveling in C.

UA GFL -> The Global First Lounge (upstairs from the RCC) is quite nice. Good views, decent food and alcohol, and I've never seen it crowded. Even though this is the new UA, I find the service here to be quite decent! Their dim sum bar is good, and there is always plenty of food. I generally prefer this as my go to lounge when traveling in *A F.

NH Suite Lounge -> ANA's first class lounge is adjacent to their C lounges. The kitchen is shared, so the "noodle bar" items are similar (and poor quality IMHO). The other food offered here is decent, but has been going downhill over the years. The service is good, but cold. I find they take forever and a day to replace the food items. The food itself is a very Japanese take on western food and honestly I find most of it to be pretty subpar. I'd rather eat on the plane in F - yes, that bad. The alcohol is decent, but I prefer the UA GFL for food and beverage. The views from the lounge are nice, and it's often relatively quiet, but on occasion for some reason it has gotten incredibly crowded. I sometimes stop by here when on *A F, but not always.

And yes, you can go to either the C or F lounges as many times as you want on the same boarding pass, revenue or award, etc. They are quite flexible in this manner.
Thanks for the great summary!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
I was at UA C in NRT last Monday and was surprised to see edamame, hot soup, and sushi available!

My personal routine on a few hour stop in NRT includes a quick hop to ANA for some udon and then back track to UA for shower, drinks, and better Internet connection.

UA's F lounge I agree, is quite elegant, in fact, an oasis of silence in the early mornings, with very nice views of the runways.

Finally, compare to years prior, ANA's lounge offerings have definitely gone downhill.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:03 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I go to the NH lounge simply for the sake. They have a quite impressive selection of sake at the sake bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.