Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Passing 1.5 million PQM tonight flying with my wife to Melbourne to celebrate a good friends 70 th birthday. Past 20.7 million BIS last week going to Hawaii for a few days. With my brother. Should hit 21 million sometime in September or October. I’ll have a better estimate in the last week in June. My biggest gripe about FT is all the unwarranted United employee bashing . Over 10,000 flights and I can count on one hand the employees that woke up on the wrong side of bed, yet I could point out thousands that take great pride in their job and truly care about the customers. Very few people know the real truth about some of these incidents. If you all knew the truth about the dog that died in the overhead bin or especially the real story of what actually happened with the doctor Doa incident you would not be so hard on United. Just sayin, they have about 100,000 employees if only 1 % of them wake up on the wrong side of bed each morning that’s 1,000 people. ....and that doesn’t happen I believe. But even if it did, so what. Is there a school where ther isn’t 1 percent of the teachers that probably shouldn’t be teaching? Police depts? Fire departments? Hospitals? And don’t even go there with government! My father was miserable for most his life. It was like he went out of the way to always find something to complain about. I have found that the best parents, bosses,friends etc try to focus on the good in other people first. For as long as I’ve been consulting, I’ve always preached to start every meeting discussing the things people are doing right. I found that it also works extremely well with parenting. Until next time, safe journeys everyone and maybe go out of the way today to make 3 extra people smile.
PTahCha, rockdoc, Rare and 35 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Passing 1.5 million PQM tonight flying with my wife to Melbourne to celebrate a good friends 70 th birthday. Past 20.7 million BIS last week going to Hawaii for a few days. With my brother. Should hit 21 million sometime in September or October. I’ll have a better estimate in the last week in June. My biggest gripe about FT is all the unwarranted United employee bashing . Over 10,000 flights and I can count on one hand the employees that woke up on the wrong side of bed, yet I could point out thousands that take great pride in their job and truly care about the customers. Very few people know the real truth about some of these incidents. If you all knew the truth about the dog that died in the overhead bin or especially the real story of what actually happened with the doctor Doa incident you would not be so hard on United. Just sayin, they have about 100,000 employees if only 1 % of them wake up on the wrong side of bed each morning that’s 1,000 people. ....and that doesn’t happen I believe. But even if it did, so what. Is there a school where ther isn’t 1 percent of the teachers that probably shouldn’t be teaching? Police depts? Fire departments? Hospitals? And don’t even go there with government! My father was miserable for most his life. It was like he went out of the way to always find something to complain about. I have found that the best parents, bosses,friends etc try to focus on the good in other people first. For as long as I’ve been consulting, I’ve always preached to start every meeting discussing the things people are doing right. I found that it also works extremely well with parenting. Until next time, safe journeys everyone and maybe go out of the way today to make 3 extra people smile.
Best post I've ever read on FT
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Best post I've ever read on FT
Inspiring and thoughtful post indeed. I don't disagree. But I'd be willing to wager ua1flyer's experience and perspective is very different from the average flyer--even most elite flyers.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Inspiring and thoughtful post indeed. I don't disagree. But I'd be willing to wager ua1flyer's experience and perspective is very different from the average flyer--even most elite flyers.
Concur. My experience matches Tom's when it comes to UA employees, but UA seems to have a tin ear when handling incidents that are caused by that 1%.
ContinentalFan, wrp96 and findark like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:48 am

Was on UA99 back from Melbourne with Tom the other day. I worked up a little courage and said hi to him a few hours into the flight as I was passing by his seat. We chatted for maybe 5-10 minutes. He couldn't be a more approachable or nicer guy. Also, we had, IMHO, a great crew on that flight.
SanDiego1K, wxguy, PDXRoy and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
21 million miles? Unfathomable! No need to answer but I'm so curious as to what your career is that makes for such travel!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lianluo
21 million miles? Unfathomable! No need to answer but I'm so curious as to what your career is that makes for such travel!
See the thread's wiki on Tom's many business adventures.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Not all of us have your benefits and perks sir.... please understand that
DCBob and LimeyFlyer like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Not all of us have your benefits and perks sir.... please understand that
I wish everybody did. Fortunately about 20,000 do have the exact same privileges as all Global Service receive the same perks and benefits whether they have flown 4 million, 20 million or have earned it with a year of high revenue flying. I do get one thing that others don’t get. A jacket each year starting at 17 million United didn’t pay for it, it was paid for by my “ Global Service Family” in Chicago. You might benefit from more perks in life than the average Joe in other cases. A boss/ manager receives perks over an average worker. The same applies to officers in Police,fire and military. Hotels, car agencies , cruise lines and almost all manufactures do as well.It’s all part of life. Almost everyone benefits more than the next person in one way or another. That being said , it doesn’t mean that all people shouldn’t be respected and heard when the product or service they have paid for doesn’t meet reasonable expectations.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
Tom were you in the ORD Polaris lounge 5/5

You were with what looked like your family so I didnt want to bother but I think it was you with your 20mil grey jacket on.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by toddt
You were with what looked like your family so I didnt want to bother but I think it was you with your 20mil grey jacket on.
. Yeah ,it was me. Should always stop by. Always love talking to fellow travelers as especially flyertalkers.
PDXRoy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2019 at 9:42 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old May 5, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
This was such a good read to start my week. Thank you Tom.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:10 pm

Passing 20,800,000 on a flight with my Brother to Tokyo. Great to be able to spend so much time with him. I also have been approached by a lot of “Flyertalkers “ in the last few months. I always love chatting with you guys! It’s a very unique brotherhood/sisterhood. I’ll hit 20,900,000 in June and then I’ll plan my 21 million flight late August or early September if things go well, and as always ,I want to share the flight with my wife and maybe my boys ( based on there schedule). As many of you know, my wife is a teacher,so once summer starts, it’s all about my feeble attempt to spoil her for 10 weeks straight! Unofficially, we start our summer early on Memorial Day weekend by going to one of my favorite resorts in the world.... Nizuc in Cancun. This will be our 10th visit. I strongly recommend this place for a perfect romantic getaway. A pool villa is the ultimate and make sure you go to their Sunday brunch! Safe travels everyone.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, BonVoy Lifetime Titanium
Tom, you are an inspiration to all of us that live up in the air so much of our lives. 21 Million miles is such an incredible milestone it is hard to comprehend. Safe travels to you and your family, maybe someday soon I'll have the genuine pleasure of being on the same flight as you.

Cheers!
Old May 14, 2019, 2:53 am
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
How many of those BIS miles would you estimate were flown in Y? I imagine the first few million may have had a healthy mix of cabins than your most recent benchmarks.

Thanks in advance. Safe travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.