ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by fezzington
I fly considerably more than almost anyone else on this board (Tom's certainly got me beat on miles, but I'd wager not on segments), and still pay attention every leg I'm in a pax seat. It's a welcome reminder of the nuances, as @fumje says. Off the top of your head do you know on which narrowbody a/c you can/cannot use the OWE exits for a water landing? Where are the life rafts on the 757-200? US1549 didn't have time for an emergency brief to rebrief all of these things

Which, actually, brings me to the question I don't think I've ever seen an answer to. Tom, if you don't mind my asking, approximately how many segments do you fly each year?
i still always read the safety cards, and make my kids do it too. I quiz them on things in the cards or on the videos (eg “what’s the guys name holding the umbrella?”)..
big V likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I fly considerably more than almost anyone else on this board (Tom's certainly got me beat on miles, but I'd wager not on segments), and still pay attention every leg I'm in a pax seat. It's a welcome reminder of the nuances, as @fumje says. Off the top of your head do you know on which narrowbody a/c you can/cannot use the OWE exits for a water landing? Where are the life rafts on the 757-200? US1549 didn't have time for an emergency brief to rebrief all of these things

Which, actually, brings me to the question I don't think I've ever seen an answer to. Tom, if you don't mind my asking, approximately how many segments do you fly each year?
I'm trying to work out if this question is to measure efficiency or inefficiency

Last edited by wanderingkev; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:10 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I'm trying to work out if this question is to measure efficiency or inefficiency
Not sure myself. There is no Pulitzer Prize for flying. That’s for sure.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer

I'm glad I am not alone in my bi polarity on the subject,
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond

No Pulitzer Prize, but I'm sure the Guinness Book people will grant a gold star or something.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I was curious as to how Tom's (read: UA's #1 flyer) flying compares to that of a relatively average FA.

For 2018, he had just over triple the BIS miles but ~100 less flown segments than I. Granted, I was getting paid (most of the time) whilst he was paying, but still a fun comparison for me.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
No Pulitzer Prize, but I'm sure the Guinness Book people will grant a gold star or something.
He already got his Gold Star err I mean Lifetime Star Gold before I was born
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I was curious as to how Tom's (read: UA's #1 flyer) flying compares to that of a relatively average FA.

For 2018, he had just over triple the BIS miles but ~100 less flown segments than I. Granted, I was getting paid (most of the time) whilst he was paying, but still a fun comparison for me.
That is a pretty generous description. Correct me if I am wrong isn't he a consultant/owner of his own business? If so, he is simply factoring in the cost of the ticket when he quoting the job.
I love the way he did not answer the question on segments.....that was awesome
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:18 am

There are a number of FA contributors on the forum to weigh in, I think the problem with the question is there is no such thing as an average FA . The seniors may only do a couple of INTL trips a month while those
up and coming on domestic considerably more and all points in between.Most of the FA's I talk to seem to work 3/4 day trips at 3-6 segments a day range
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:27 am

There are a number of FA contributors on the forum to weigh in, I think the problem with the question is there is no such thing as an average FA . The seniors may only do a couple of INTL trips a month while those
up and coming on domestic considerably more and all points in between.Most of the FA's I talk to seem to work 3/4 day trips at 3-6 segments a day range
I think all of that variety is encompassed in the concept of an "average".
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
I think all of that variety is encompassed in the concept of an "average".
My thought was that there are several sub groups of FA's who have segment patterns that are quite different
to each other.The average of each sub group would be better to consider for comparison.
Back on the segment point in general .Depending on where I have been based ( more or less time in the US ) my segments have ranged between 90 and the mid 300's
BIS over the segments 130k- to 380k
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My thought was that there are several sub groups of FA's who have segment patterns that are quite different
to each other.The average of each sub group would be better to consider for comparison. ...
I suspect the FA that posted the question understands that -- but that would turn a simple question into a complex question requirement much definition of the FA subgroups and why they were chosen that way. And that would be driving this line of discussion even further OT.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I suspect the FA that posted the question understands that -- but that would turn a simple question into a complex question requirement much definition of the FA subgroups and why they were chosen that way. And that would be driving this line of discussion even further OT.
point taken , I did not realize the Op was an FA
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Just passed 800,000 PQM yesterday coming back from Munich. I will hit 100 PQS next week. I’m going to explore quite a few new destinations this year and I will be sharing most of my experiences as well as suggestions/tips etc. Might do some giveaways as well. My new motto is “ Stay alive till 25!”(million that is) follow me on Instagram and let’s have some fun! ( @ua1flyer)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:51 pm

With those PQM and PQS numbers, plus the cold weather here in New York, I almost thought it was already December.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.