ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Just passed 4 million PQM on my way to Hawaii today. Not done yet. My BIS will be just south of 1.4 million. I’ll put out my final numbers later in the week. Hope everyone is having a great holiday.
Is that UA metal BIS with *A PQM?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Is that UA metal BIS with *A PQM?
My numbers are all United metal. I only fly Star Alliance a few times a year and don't even count those miles towards my totals.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Awesome! So... gotta ask... is your enjoyment of flying keeping your retirement date at bay? Many of us have some fear of the grim reaper, and consider retirement a way to enjoy the time we have left. But you might be like my Grandfather, a farmer who spent his life in the fields, which he really loved. "Retirement" meant missing out on that. He didn't get to drive his old Chevy with his favorite dog through the fields anymore. What would you do without a plane to catch? :-)
Happy holidays Mike. I am what one might call. Semi -retired.I still work ,but only an average of 3 days a month.Most of my travel now are trips with friends and family as well as my charity work for children's cancer.And yes what WOULD I do without a plane to catch!
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:45 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
My numbers are all United metal. I only fly Star Alliance a few times a year and don't even count those miles towards my totals.
Do you just avoid destinations United doesn't fly to?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Just passed 4 million PQM on my way to Hawaii today. Not done yet. My BIS will be just south of 1.4 million. I’ll put out my final numbers later in the week. Hope everyone is having a great holiday.
Pretty impressive - averaging 285% fare class multiplier for the entire year!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
I cannot speak for him but his profile says he's also 1 million miler on AA
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
My BIS will be just south of 1.4 million.
Unless UA gives you special extra fast planes, my back of the envelope calcs say that means ~2800 hours airborne, plus even more adding in departure time, taxiing, and arrival time in airports/airplanes, maybe another 500 hours (I'm assuming you're mostly long-haul). If so, your travel time alone is over 35% of the hours in a year!

Hope you get to live some live on the plane, whether eating, sleeping, reading, or watching the movies you don't have time to see in the remaining time you have on the ground . . .
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:51 am

Congrats Tom. Looking forward to seeing where your numbers land at the end of the year. Happy holidays!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:46 pm

Happy holidays Mike. I am what one might call. Semi -retired.I still work ,but only an average of 3 days a month.Most of my travel now are trips with friends and family as well as my charity work for children's cancer.And yes what WOULD I do without a plane to catch!
Hey there, saw your other post about your lifetime of over 20M miles on UA!!! Wow, that's incredible!

I assume you travel quite a bit for your work?

edit: can ignore this post. I didn't realize who I was quoting until I actually read the top post of this thread!

Last edited by ginmqi; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:41 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ginmqi
... I assume you travel quite a bit for your work?
While Tom may response, you will find a number of newsreports on Tom in this thread's wiki / top post.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While Tom may response, you will find a number of newsreports on Tom in this thread's wiki / top post.
Doh! Oh wow, I just somehow realized the entire thread is dedicated to Tom and now I actually remember reading about a guy who is the world's most frequent flier....I see!

Indeed I feel like an idiot for posting that but now I am aware and not a surprise at all that he frequents FT.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Doh! Oh wow, I just somehow realized the entire thread is dedicated to Tom and now I actually remember reading about a guy who is the world's most frequent flier....I see!

Indeed I feel like an idiot for posting that but now I am aware and not a surprise at all that he frequents FT.
When I started this thread with a linked article about Tom back in 2009, some FT members were understandably incredulous at the claim one person was flying so many miles. Then Tom joined the thread and has been making awesome contributions ever since.

No need to feel silly - just enjoy the ride with him.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Good Morning Tom, happy January 1st, did you make 1K yet or is it a slow start...... lol

sitting in Melbourne let me know when you pas thru again , fly syd-sfo Friday
wrp96 and jjmoore like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Good luck, brother!
Change for the better is possible, even later in life.
Family and friends are truly the only meaningful measure of a good life.

Merry Christmas, Tom, to you and your family!
your son is lucky to have you - hope that the cruise went well for everybody. Thank you for sharing with us. Let’s all remember the inspiring “happy wife, happy life” :-)
happy new year everybody and may 2019 be even better for us all.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic

I don’t avoid anywhere. I am lucky that between United and the Star alliance,I get to about 98% of my intende destinations. Over the years I would guess that I flew on at least 60-80 other airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.