ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Losing weight while flying so much is also no easy feat. Congrats and good luck...and share any secrets you find out along the way!
I cannot even imagine what would happen if I flew as much as most here. On non-cycling vacations and biz trips, I gain, literally, half a pound... a day!!! So for Tom to accomplish his goal, while maintaining his normal routine, is very impressive to me.

Of course, I'd obviously prescribe cycling as the best way to become healthier. United could set up a special section of the plane with a smart trainer and Zwift, and Tom could do a lap or two of Watopia Island each trip. For those aware of Strava, imagine the KOMs and speeds he could nail! Guaranteed his VAMs (vertical meter climb rate/hour) would be off the charts.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I cannot even imagine what would happen if I flew as much as most here. On non-cycling vacations and biz trips, I gain, literally, half a pound... a day!!! So for Tom to accomplish his goal, while maintaining his normal routine, is very impressive to me.

Of course, I'd obviously prescribe cycling as the best way to become healthier. United could set up a special section of the plane with a smart trainer and Zwift, and Tom could do a lap or two of Watopia Island each trip. For those aware of Strava, imagine the KOMs and speeds he could nail! Guaranteed his VAMs (vertical meter climb rate/hour) would be off the charts.
As a 200+ night/yr traveler, I can tell you the biggest challenge overall is healthy eating. It is very difficult to stay motivated to find healthy eating options when the work and travel consume literally 12-15 hours of every work day.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It is possible but takes discipline. I work out at least an hour a day, even when I travel. Sometimes like today it is at 4:30 AM after having a late dinner. I've been lucky and after traveling 200 days a year for more than 30 years, my weight hasn't changed at all.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Done for the year! Chillin in Thailand at one of my favorite resorts in the world....The Pavillion in Phuket!!. I strongly recommend this place and will personally help anybody get hooked up here! I end the year with 1159278 BIS on United about 25,000 on other airlines, 3,462,819 PQM ,533.5 segments and lifetime United BIS at 18,852,943. Had a great year traveling and am greatful for all the United employees that made that possible, my fellow flyers/friends in the sky,the new people I have met this year as well as my family and friends I shared my journeys with! My New Year’s wish is good health and safe journeys to all and my wish for United would be for less “fake news” from the media and a more fair and balanced approach to reporting incidents that paint United in an unfair way more times than they deserve. God Bless all and Happy New Year!!!
Baze, JNelson113, SFO 1K and 20 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Done for the year! Chillin in Thailand at one of my favorite resorts in the world....The Pavillion in Phuket!!. I strongly recommend this place and will personally help anybody get hooked up here! I end the year with 1159278 BIS on United about 25,000 on other airlines, 3,462,819 PQM ,533.5 segments and lifetime United BIS at 18,852,943. Had a great year traveling and am greatful for all the United employees that made that possible, my fellow flyers/friends in the sky,the new people I have met this year as well as my family and friends I shared my journeys with! My New Year’s wish is good health and safe journeys to all and my wish for United would be for less “fake news” from the media and a more fair and balanced approach to reporting incidents that paint United in an unfair way more times than they deserve. God Bless all and Happy New Year!!!
Bolding mine: Backatcha Tom! ^
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Another year like 2017 and it's just over 20,000,000 BIS miles. Amazing. Quintuple lifetime GS.

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA GS
Wow, the Pavilion looks incredible! Any room recommendations?

Also, I’m curious: what’s your most frequented non-US Airport? Do you like transiting certain airports over others?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky

Wow, the Pavilion looks incredible! Any room recommendations?

Also, I’m curious: what’s your most frequented non-US Airport? Do you like transiting certain airports over others?
villa 20 is the one we have had 6 times. Most private. The GM “JP’ and the Head Chef Belinda alone will make your trip unbelievable, but dozens of other staff will too. I’m writing this as my wife and I just finished a perfect 90 minute couples massage that was included in our package. Contact the Hotel directly for best rates! As far as non- US airports, the 3 I Frequent the most is Melbourne, London and Tokyo. LOVE the United Staff at London the most,than Tokyo then Melbourne. Probably would have put Melbourne at the top , but they have outsourced much of the staff and that makes a major difference. The Pavillion throws a hell of a New Years Eve party .....and it starts in about 5 hours!! Happy New Year!!
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
You already at 1M BIS for 2018?!

Out of curiosity, not that you need it, but do you ever do a mileage run? If you're just off the target, and will just miss the 20M mark for 2018, would you do an MR to get it all done this year?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You already at 1M BIS for 2018?!

Out of curiosity, not that you need it, but do you ever do a mileage run? If you're just off the target, and will just miss the 20M mark for 2018, would you do an MR to get it all done this year?
I did over 1 million BIS in 2017. I am back to zero like everyone else. I would have to Fly almost the same amount of miles this year to hit both 19 and 20 million. I’ll play it month by month. I already have a very busy January.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
I would have to Fly almost the same amount of miles this year to hit both 19 and 20 million. I’ll play it month by month.
nobody here would bet against that.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
nobody here would bet against that.
I am almost certain this question has been ask before, do any one know who is United number 2 flyer ?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: None anymore
Make sure to let us know when you re qualify for 1K!

Actually you already get it due to lifetime miles... But it would still be fun!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by GSunitedloyal
I am almost certain this question has been ask before, do any one know who is United number 2 flyer ?
I believe Tom confirmed it to be Mr. Pillows.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

I did over 1 million BIS in 2017. I am back to zero like everyone else. I would have to Fly almost the same amount of miles this year to hit both 19 and 20 million. I’ll play it month by month. I already have a very busy January.
Hopefully there will be 2 celebrations for you this year then.... Happy New Year and I wish you safe (and fantastic) travels!
kirkwoodj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.