Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:55 pm

When in Australia...

Hi ua1flyer
PLease let the locals (ie Qantas FT) know when you are around.
We are always happy to catch with a fellow FT'er.
Cheers
IainF
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:10 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by as219
By my figuring, 700K BIS in 350 days means

Midcons: 216 LGA-DEN rount-trips or one completed r/t every 1.6 days (!)
Transcons: 135 JFK-SFO round-trips or one completed r/t every 2.5 days; or
Transatlantic: 95 IAD-LHR round-trips or one completed r/t every 3.7 days; Transpacs: 31 JFK-SFO-HKG-SIN round-trips or one completed r/t every 11.25 days.

The only one of these that might make sense would be 31 transpacs, but that would mean four days home, 1 day in transit, five days away, 1 day in transit...repeated 31 times. Okay, that's :"doable."

What kind of job keeps you on a plane that much? Why not just get relocated at that point?
Knew of someone who could/would do this, just not sure if it was 31 times in a calendar year.

When an MR'er says "ouch, that's rough", you know it's another level.

Regarding self-inflicted wounds, if having to travel in Y. After only one TPAC in J (never in Y), with a really packed vacation schedule, I can absolutely say that I could never have pulled off that schedule flying 14 hours in Y. I've done enough TATLs to know the benefit of J travel (with a few previous Y's for reference), and what schedule is, and is not, doable. Thanks to FT, you'll discover plenty of ways to efficiently insure you never have to travel outside of a premium cabin, if you so choose.

Last edited by sbagdon; Dec 20, 2009 at 4:19 am
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
I'm posting the article here, because there's a fair amount of copy about UA / GS. My feelings won't be bruised if Mods decide it belongs in Newsstand.

Frequent Flier VIP: Meet the Guy Who Never Waits at the Airport

[I]Airport lines are a thing of the past for Tom Stuker. So are middle seats, waiting on hold when calling customer service and missed connections.
Tom Stuker was just on "Fox and Friends"...
  • Mentioned how much he liked Dearborn Call Center "They (Dearborn) treat you like gold".
  • Graham Atkinson: "Great, great guy"
  • He thinks they treat "everybody" really good
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
"25-hour pre-paid lease starts at $132,900*** in a Citation V Ultra. "

or $5300/hour for one pax. Those prices don't include taxes, so lets say $6K/hour, AI.
That $132K is only for the capital cost of the aircraft; you still have hourly charges for fuel and crew that run about $2500/hr for the Ultra (which only has a range of about 1500 miles); and the hourly for a Gulfstream IV is closer to $6000/hour.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Tom.. saw you this morning on foxandfriends ^ Kudos to you on getting in there before the storm hits. Hopefully you'll be able to make it out of there

Loved the tie and cuff-links ^ I noticed you kept an eye on the GS card once the guy was handing it back Overall a great segment. Unfortunately these things are boiled down to just sound bites but I thought it went well ^ I loved the remark about on AA you don't even have to fly to make a million miles ..
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Marin 1K
That $132K is only for the capital cost of the aircraft; you still have hourly charges for fuel and crew that run about $2500/hr for the Ultra (which only has a range of about 1500 miles); and the hourly for a Gulfstream IV is closer to $6000/hour.
http://www.marquisjet.com/card_pricing_info.aspx
For example, the all-inclusive price for 25 hours flown only in domestic transportation within the continental U.S. using a Citation V Ultra would be $136,989.41 plus applicable per passenger US-imposed taxes and fees.
[...]
For the month of November 2009, the hourly fuel variable for the Citation V Ultra was $752.58. Please check the website monthly for the most current fuel variable.
Crew and fuel included, sans a fuel "variable".
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The Fox Interview

Here it is! ^ ^
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
UA hijacking the movie from AA?

Fun intereview, and was I the only person with the feeling that UA PR folk are doing a pretty good job of trying to hijack the movie's message and PR benefits from AA? ^

UA1FLYER even got into the fray directly when he pointed out that on United, you actually have to FLY to get to where he is, not just use a credit card. Plus mention by the host that the movie was somewhat based upon UA1FLYER's experiences.

Hmm. OK. So we're so crazy here that we (and UA1FLYER) see that (having to actually fly to get top benefits) as an advantage?

Perhaps we can't see the forest for the trees!

Fun interview, but I did keep wondering, is the FT reference coming up next? Will that question lead into it? Maybe next time!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Fun intereview, and was I the only person with the feeling that UA PR folk are doing a pretty good job of trying to hijack the movie's message and PR benefits from AA? ^
Mrs. Fredd and I had the pleasure of meeting Graham Atkinson when he welcomed the Star Alliance Mega DO participants who made it to ORD.

He has to be a very happy man at the moment.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Tom.. saw you this morning on foxandfriends ^ Kudos to you on getting in there before the storm hits. Hopefully you'll be able to make it out of there

Loved the tie and cuff-links ^ I noticed you kept an eye on the GS card once the guy was handing it back Overall a great segment. Unfortunately these things are boiled down to just sound bites but I thought it went well ^ I loved the remark about on AA you don't even have to fly to make a million miles ..
In case you missed it while you were shoveling out this morning. UA1Flyer:

http://www.foxnews.com/search-result...Frequent+Flyer
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

UA1FLYER even got into the fray directly when he pointed out that on United, you actually have to FLY to get to where he is, not just use a credit card. Plus mention by the host that the movie was somewhat based upon UA1FLYER's experiences.
AA hijacked the book's message and PR benefits from a fictional Denver-based, USA-only non-legacy that was in a dog fight with fictional LCC based in the southwest USA.

More power to UA's PR folks for taking from AA what AA took from Frontier.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Somebody has to be top dog and congrats Tom you are. To be the highest, best etc at anything should be a cool feeling. I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas. God bless and safe travels.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by schley
Somebody has to be top dog and congrats Tom you are. To be the highest, best etc at anything should be a cool feeling. I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas. God bless and safe travels.
+1 ^

He comes across as a pretty nice guy too. That counts for something in my book.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Ditto. I have done about 350,000 miles a year for the last umpteen years and private air, except for the occasional trip to Vegas, has never crossed my mind.
To be honest, I thought the character was based on you -- hard to believe there's at least one person out there who does twice as many miles each year!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA G
Am I the only one who twitched when the Fox dude referred to Canadian provinces as "providences"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.