Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, we can now successfully refute future claims of "United never holds up a flight departure for late arriving passengers" that we hear from time to time on other threads.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Do you ever take your wife with you when you're traveling for business or are those 150K vacation times?

And do you generally just use miles for bringing your wife?

And without even traveling nearly as much as you do, I've found the same to be true with me. As much as I romanticize the idea of travel, there's no better place to sleep than in the same bed as my wife!
My wife and I travel on revenue and use our miles for family.I agree 100% on the part about sleeping in the same bed as my wife!! I have been with her for 20 years and I swear she is just as hot today as the day I met her!!!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
I have no way to know how to thank all the messages ,emails, texts and Facebook posts for birthday wishes. All I can say is thank you, God Bless and Merry Christmas !!!!
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Smile Happy, Happy Day When Tom Was Born!

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
What a great way to celebrate my birthday!! Heading to Japan with my son while passing 1,500,000 PQM/ 540 segments. This is the second time in 4 years that I did over 1 million BIS in a year and I swear it will be the last!!! What made this day special was the fact that that my Newark to Chicago flight was running late this morning and it landed at the same time my Tokyo flight was closing!!! Not only did they hold the flight for my son and I, they shuttled us over to the other terminal in the Mercedes, their was a group of no less than 10 global service members meeting me at my seat singing Happy Birthday along with the crew from the aircraft!!!! Blew me away!!!! What a birthday.....What an airline!!!!!! My second family! Love em all!!
Tom: Traveling with your son - what a great birthday gift & not one any of your FT friends could top, unless one with special powers could arrange your wife to greet you upon landing! So sorry, I am not one of those with magical powers, nor dollars, to make that happen What I can, & will do, is wish for you: EASY, SAFE TRAVELS ALWAYS, WITH HOME AS YOUR DESIRED & FAVORITE DESTINATION!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM! May every day in your life be easy, your path true & your heart filled with the love of your family & friends!

With much respect, and always, friendship love,
Maureen

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 20, 2015 at 9:23 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:24 pm

Last 2015 United flight

In SFO 45 minutes away from boarding my last United flight of the year.....to Hong Kong. A relaxing evening in Hong Kong ,then off to Phuket with the wife for a relaxing and romantic end of the year. Final totals will be 1,5288,751 PQM and 546 PQS. Add the other carriers and it was a heck of a year!! No damaged or lost bags. No emergency landings, aborted take offs, or aborted landings. nobody died or even got close on any of my flights. The service was rarely average, mostly good and many times great. Global service outdid themselves one more time! After flying over 1 million miles BIS for the second time, I can honestly say the odds of ever doing it again are slim and one. I am committed very heavily to dates in the US next year. After over 8000 flights I am enjoying travel as much as ever. Sure ,I drink more kool aid than anyone when it comes to flying. I could spend endless paragraphs to ..... about TSA, delays, mechanicals ,food etc....but why? I Choose to fly. Everyone has that choice. I CHOOSE to fly and I CHOOSE to be happy. Kool Aid ...Kool Aid ...flies great!!! .....on my way again....can't wait!!!!!! Happy New year Everyone!!!!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
In SFO 45 minutes away from boarding my last United flight of the year.....to Hong Kong. A relaxing evening in Hong Kong ,then off to Phuket with the wife for a relaxing and romantic end of the year. Final totals will be 1,5288,751 PQM and 546 PQS. Add the other carriers and it was a heck of a year!! No damaged or lost bags. No emergency landings, aborted take offs, or aborted landings. nobody died or even got close on any of my flights. The service was rarely average, mostly good and many times great. Global service outdid themselves one more time! After flying over 1 million miles BIS for the second time, I can honestly say the odds of ever doing it again are slim and one. I am committed very heavily to dates in the US next year. After over 8000 flights I am enjoying travel as much as ever. Sure ,I drink more kool aid than anyone when it comes to flying. I could spend endless paragraphs to ..... about TSA, delays, mechanicals ,food etc....but why? I Choose to fly. Everyone has that choice. I CHOOSE to fly and I CHOOSE to be happy. Kool Aid ...Kool Aid ...flies great!!! .....on my way again....can't wait!!!!!! Happy New year Everyone!!!!
I knew I felt a disturbance in the force! You must have flown right over my shop on the way into SF. I could have waved from the roof (and you actually would have seen me, if you were on the left side). Have a great trip!

Regarding UA, for some of us, they do everything we need, everything we expect, sometimes just a little bit more. My family's been pretty happy with the. Funny how on FT you have to apologize for sounding like a UA apologist. Then again, for context, I spent a long time in the trenches as a lowly 2P.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In SFO 45 minutes away from boarding my last United flight of the year.....to Hong Kong. A relaxing evening in Hong Kong, then off to Phuket with the wife for a relaxing and romantic end of the year. Final totals will be 1,5288,751 PQM and 546 PQS.
A few years ago I flew 115,000 BIS miles on UA, and about 25K on AA, and I was exhausted at the end. I did 59 total segments this year, and I can't imagine flying 546.

I don't know how you do it Tom, but my hat is off to you.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by halls120
A few years ago I flew 115,000 BIS miles on UA, and about 25K on AA, and I was exhausted at the end. I did 59 total segments this year, and I can't imagine flying 546.

I don't know how you do it Tom, but my hat is off to you.
FWIW... domestic miles are far more exhausting than int'l miles. I flew similar stats to you this year... probably 65% of it on domestic. The 35% int'l was far and away more relaxing and do-able than the domestic "hop here and hop there" kind of travel. The int'l miles rack up very fast too.. just 3 trips accounted for more than 35K BIS miles over a 1 month period, and this was far and away my least exhausting travel (even crossing more than 20 time zones in the process). My other travels this year... very tiring (2 hours on a plane, 3 12-15 hour work days, then back on the plane for a 3 hour hop to the west coast and another 12 hour day before returning to DEN on Saturday.... this was my routine for about 10 consecutive weeks early this fall).

I, too, tip my hat to ANYONE that can fly 1MM BIS miles in a 12 month period.

Tom - how many nights did you spend up in the air vs. on the ground this year?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjmoore
FWIW... domestic miles are far more exhausting than int'l miles.
I don't care if its domestic, international or interstellar -- 546 PQS in a year is insane. My wife complains heavily when I approach 60+...
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
FWIW... domestic miles are far more exhausting than int'l miles. I flew similar stats to you this year... probably 65% of it on domestic. The 35% int'l was far and away more relaxing and do-able than the domestic "hop here and hop there" kind of travel. The int'l miles rack up very fast too.. just 3 trips accounted for more than 35K BIS miles over a 1 month period, and this was far and away my least exhausting travel (even crossing more than 20 time zones in the process). My other travels this year... very tiring (2 hours on a plane, 3 12-15 hour work days, then back on the plane for a 3 hour hop to the west coast and another 12 hour day before returning to DEN on Saturday.... this was my routine for about 10 consecutive weeks early this fall).

I, too, tip my hat to ANYONE that can fly 1MM BIS miles in a 12 month period.

Tom - how many nights did you spend up in the air vs. on the ground this year?
Didn't take the time to count, but north of 80 for sure.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Trying to save on Hotel bill?? hehe
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am not sure how he can keep track of "nights" with all those international flights in every direction....
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Amazing.

Enjoy Thailand!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA GS
I think the more important question is: how many nights did you stay at home or with your wife this year?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold
Wow, we just crossed paths! I just came back to the US from Hong Kong and Phuket. Can't imagine flying as much as you do, as much as I love traveling. Happy New Years!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.