FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1028880-ua1flyer-real-up-air-gs.html)

United_727 Jul 24, 2015 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 25168673)
When Tom was honored for crossing over 10 million miles, United did name a 747 after him ^

That's great to hear. That's the very least they could do.^

tuolumne Jul 24, 2015 11:34 pm

Hi Tom, was wondering if you could give us your thoughts on 3-cabin United First gradually disappearing over the next few years. Will you miss it? Is an all-aisle C product like American and Delta have good enough for you?

ua1flyer Jul 26, 2015 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne (Post 25169666)
Hi Tom, was wondering if you could give us your thoughts on 3-cabin United First gradually disappearing over the next few years. Will you miss it? Is an all-aisle C product like American and Delta have good enough for you?

Miss it? I will cry myself to sleep every night with memories of such a great product and service.Will I be satisfied with a 1-2-1 product. That would be 10 times better than the 2-2! If I am on the window with a complete stranger on the aisle, I feel that I could get arrested for assault when I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I will miss the 3 class cabin very much, but business is business. If that square footage can generate more income.......

nevansm Aug 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Sat in front of Tom on a recent ORD-TPA flight. Didn't even notice him at first because I was running from gate to gate due to UA's fantastic delays. Saw he had his "16 million mile" shirt and and said hi. Was great to see you Tom and wish you safe travels!

dmodemd Aug 19, 2015 12:02 pm

I really enjoyed seeing Tom in his Car Boss show and seeing him in action working but I would really like to see a documentary on his travels. There were a number of news stories when he hit the 10MM mark but I don't recall anything more in-depth. I think something like a 60 Minutes story on him would be awesome. Is there anything like that out there?

ua1flyer Aug 21, 2015 12:32 am

Wow!!!! Great News! Just finished a great sit down with the managing director of premium services. Great guy. More importantly for all of you (me included) that have been not happy with the United Clubs, help is on the way. I don't want to steal all of Michael's thunder, but a Premium lounge will be coming to both Newark and LA among others. After an lengthy conversation, he filled me in on extensive improvements in several areas including food, design, staffing etc, and the overcrowding issues. Great talk, Great news. 2016 will be a year that puts more smiles on the faces of United Club members!

Sorry about the typos gang. Not much sleep lately.

Mike Jacoubowsky Aug 21, 2015 1:08 am

Originally Posted by ua1flyer (Post 25304045)
Wow!!!! Great News! Just finished a great sit down with the managing director of premium services. Great guy. More importantly for all of you (me included) that have been not happy with the United Clubs, help is on the way. I don't want to steal all of Michael's thunder, but a Premium lounge will be coming to both Newark and LA among others. After an lengthy conversation, he filled me in on extensive improvements in several areas including food, design, staffing etc, and the overcrowding issues. Great talk, Great news. 2016 will be a year that puts more smiles on the faces of United Club members!

Is this a new type of lounge slotted in above the normal UC (replacing the IFL maybe, but a bit less restrictive?), or an upgrade to the regular United Clubs?

halls120 Aug 21, 2015 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 25304141)
Is this a new type of lounge slotted in above the normal UC (replacing the IFL maybe, but a bit less restrictive?), or an upgrade to the regular United Clubs?

If this is true, it's a welcome change. LH has First Class, Senator and Business Class lounges, it would be nice if UA did something similar. Since GF is going away, how about converting them to a GS/1K only lounge?

joshwex90 Aug 21, 2015 6:54 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 25304642)
If this is true, it's a welcome change. LH has First Class, Senator and Business Class lounges, it would be nice if UA did something similar. Since GF is going away, how about converting them to a GS/1K only lounge?

I've always felt that GS should get a complimentary UC membership and there should be a lounge dedicated to GS and GF, and maybe 1K in BF (thinking along the lines of LH here; obviously not exactly the same, but they are different airlines)

5khours Aug 21, 2015 7:22 am

Originally Posted by ua1flyer (Post 25304045)

Sorry about the typos gang. Not much sleep lately.

Wow that's great. Getting rid of F on the 15 hour flight and improving the lounge experience for the 15 minutes before I get on the flight. Can't wait.

ua1flyer Aug 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 25304141)

Mike, don't have all the details, but yes I believe it will be above the regular UC club for sure.Even though United will be basically a two cabin airline within 18-24 months, they want to be able to treat the premium flyer to a travel experience that exceeds the regular United Club in place now.

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 25304642)

Don't know about 1K access. I didn't bring it up. GS for sure will be able to enjoy a better international experience. Will they ever have anything like LH's First Class lounge. I haven't heard anything to believe that to be true. What I do know is that the gentelmen now in charge of global service and the United Clubs is totally committed to improving the travel experience both in the clubs and throughout the entire travel experience. This guy is good!

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 25305182)
Wow that's great. Getting rid of F on the 15 hour flight and improving the lounge experience for the 15 minutes before I get on the flight. Can't wait.

5k don't be such a hater.Nobody is forcing you to spend those 15 minutes in the club before you board. Nobody suffers or experiences a downgrade when this company becomes a 2 class cabin airline than me. I took a 15 hour trip from LA to Melbourne a few weeks ago in the business first cabin on that 787. of course it wasn't what I was used to in a Global First seat, but the service was great, food was basically the same. If they can keep up the great service and spend an average of 10-15 dollars more on the food/beverage experience it could make a dramatic difference.....just sayin.

SS255 Aug 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer (Post 25308788)
What I do know is that the gentelmen now in charge of global service and the United Clubs is totally committed to improving the travel experience both in the clubs and throughout the entire travel experience. This guy is good!

"Committed" is very encouraging.....but is he (or will he be) empowered? ;)

CO_Nonrev_elite Aug 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer (Post 25308828)
5k don't be such a hater.Nobody is forcing you to spend those 15 minutes in the club before you board. Nobody suffers or experiences a downgrade when this company becomes a 2 class cabin airline than me. I took a 15 hour trip from LA to Melbourne a few weeks ago in the business first cabin on that 787. of course it wasn't what I was used to in a Global First seat, but the service was great, food was basically the same. If they can keep up the great service and spend an average of 10-15 dollars more on the food/beverage experience it could make a dramatic difference.....just sayin.

If in the D/E seats, the experience is absolutely fine. It's aisle access, and no one stepping over you.

STS-134 Aug 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer (Post 25175672)
Miss it? I will cry myself to sleep every night with memories of such a great product and service.Will I be satisfied with a 1-2-1 product. That would be 10 times better than the 2-2! If I am on the window with a complete stranger on the aisle, I feel that I could get arrested for assault when I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I will miss the 3 class cabin very much, but business is business. If that square footage can generate more income.......

Well, other airlines have figured out how to have each seat take up the same square footage of deck space, and yet still allow all passengers direct access to the aisle. I flew C on SQ twice and the experience was great! You do have to sleep diagonally to the walls of the plane, but I'd much rather have direct aisle access than have UA's setup. Since I like window seats, I'm always stepping over my neighbor when I get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. Fortunately, as I'm young, I don't have issues doing this, but I would imagine that for older people or people with arthritis this would be a problem.

why fly Aug 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer (Post 25175672)

rumor has it the new 777-300 will have the "new" United seats. So we wont have to wait to much longer for the announcement.