FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1028880-ua1flyer-real-up-air-gs.html)

TA Dec 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jgreen1024 (Post 13008135)
Sure they are. Corporate jets are subject to the same weather and mechanical problems that shut down and delay airline traffic. Except there is no easy way to put you on another plane, or push you to another airline - you gotta sit and wait. Late for your meeting is late for your meeting, whether you got there by airline or by private jet.

sure they are, but to a much lesser extent. When it comes to network problems, most trouble caused by weather and operations are because of choices the airline made.

- The first plane that takes off after a weather delay can be said to be delayed by weather. Every company plane after that was delayed because of ground operations and delays.

- When your flight is canceled because inbound aircraft was late due to weather, that wasn't really weather -- it was a company decision to serve that market with an inbound aircraft, rather than a dedicated airplane originating from that station, or one on the ground there waiting.

- when Jetblue's eastbound flights have to make a stop halfway due to winds, that's not weather (or just weather), that's a decision by the company to use A320s instead of A319s.

So you are right that private aviation faces similar delays, but I would say that given the usage ratio (plane is typically waiting for you, not the other way around), plus the fact that you're not going to be flying out of LGA where you have to wait an hour just to get to the runway, private jets are much more adaptable to such situations.

fnothaft Dec 17, 2009 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by TA (Post 13008081)
ps. Or Moffett Field, at which point even the VIPs are envious of you.

Pffft. Anyone can fly out of Moffett for $450, but only on a blimp. :D

I've seen the googlejets come in from close up before, and you must admit, you're special when the government bends rules for you!

Paolo01 Dec 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Sure they are. Corporate jets are subject to the same weather and mechanical problems that shut down and delay airline traffic. Except there is no easy way to put you on another plane, or push you to another airline - you gotta sit and wait. Late for your meeting is late for your meeting, whether you got there by airline or by private jet.

No, United and other Airlines make decisions based on the bottom line of the airline. With Civ Air and your own GIV the airplane works around you, the customer. You are paying dearly for it, but that is customer service. ^

jetsfan92588 Dec 17, 2009 3:36 pm

Late for your meeting is late for your meeting, whether you got there by airline or by private jet.

the real VIPs use private planes for leisure not to go to meetings. the real VIPs have the meetings where they are and others come to them.:)

wiredboy10003 Dec 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 13007436)
I have to give UA a big ^. UA is the only airline I've flown who sometimes goes far and beyond for its top elite customers (DL and CO don't care). Some of the things mentioned in the article I have personally experienced as an 1K, not even a GS, such as FAs remembering me and saved a meal choice before I even asked because the purser remembered I liked the pasta, ground crew taking me to the front of line, purser giving me a nice wrapped bottle of wine at the end of flight, agents doing me favors during irreg operations, super agents like annie SYD upgrading me and other 1Ks, 1K desk rescuing my friends and family during irregular operations (long story)

I agree. People like Annie are a treasure!

Twice I've been given little gifts by the flight crew. Once I was on a PS flight and I recognized one of the FA's. He moonlighted as a waiter at one of my neighborhood restaurants. At the end of the flight he came over with a bottle wrapped in a napkin.

Another time, I overheard one of the FA's talking about her new headshots (I think she also worked as an actress or model maybe) and we got into a conversation about them. She brought over the proofs and we talked about them. I'm a photographer so I had some insights. Anyway, toward the end of the flight she popped over with an airsickness bag filled with miniatures of liquor. It's little stuff like that that helps keep me loyal to UA.

milepig Dec 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588 (Post 13008338)
the real VIPs use private planes for leisure not to go to meetings. the real VIPs have the meetings where they are and others come to them.:)

Except when summoned by the POTUS. :D

UALUNOK Dec 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by TA (Post 13007765)
Don't start thinking that you're incredibly special because they treat you better within the same system. If he were fired from his job, he'd be back in the coach class that he so poo-poos, and UA wouldn't hesitate to drop him from the ranks of GS.

+1

You nailed it. It's amazing how important walking across a red carpet becomes when one is forced to justify a life that takes one away from kids' birthdays, baseball games, and teeth falling out. For life to make sense, that damned red carpet has to mean a lot.

Stuff to think about.

Rambuster Dec 17, 2009 3:56 pm

"There have even been reports of a helicopter once being sent to help a traveler stuck in traffic."

This is when the article loses total credibility !

trainman74 Dec 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Consumerist.com's post about this article ended with their writer asking "Has anyone caught a glimpse of a flyer like this?" As an FT member, I could only answer yes. :D

milepig Dec 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74 (Post 13008516)
Consumerist.com's post about this article ended with their writer asking "Has anyone caught a glimpse of a flyer like this?" As an FT member, I could only answer yes. :D

My favorite response to that question is:

If I had, I'd have spit on them.

That response is probably from the person I tangled with at FRA after I firmly, but politely, said "your line is over there" when she tried to cut in front of me.

CosmosHuman Dec 17, 2009 4:25 pm

I don't think I'd ever get "Red Carpet" treatment. But it maybe nice...

avsfan733 Dec 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Paolo01 (Post 13008291)
No, United and other Airlines make decisions based on the bottom line of the airline. With Civ Air and your own GIV the airplane works around you, the customer. You are paying dearly for it, but that is customer service. ^

That may be true, but the poster was referencing Mother nature and Mr. Murphy. Neither of these work for you or much care. In fact, given that you don't have the flex, options, on hand ground staff, maintenance, etc. of a major career. Their is no ops center. If the plane breaks, there is no reroute or later flight. If there is weather, there is weather. You would also be surprised the type of people using the 'corporate' jets a lot. The focus is on the type of people and the type of planes that can afford private travel for leisure. The reality is often much different. Its about efficiency. If that's the company jet to a remote plant versus 10 tickets rental cars and 3x the delay...the choice gets made. If this guy is flying to Australia, there are not a lot of equipment types in the private realm that will do that. Its quicker and easier to go commercial even if your the CEO.

milepig...Its always funny to hear those people with no idea that the elites ticket (likely last minute) and the elites constant business makes their sub $200 transcon possible. This is why service has been degraded so much.

dulcamara Dec 17, 2009 5:47 pm

I have friends who do 300K+/year. 700K is unbelievable. That and the 31 consecutive airplane meals should guarantee that he dies young.

Unless the economy really picks up or DEQM hits at exactly the right time, I'm catching the 1P express for 2011. I am not completely unhappy about this.

If I had do to 200K or more for my job, I'd find another one.

DCEsquire Dec 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003 (Post 13008367)
I she popped over with an airsickness bag filled with miniatures of liquor. It's little stuff like that that helps keep me loyal to UA.

No disrespect to wiredboy, but is it just me that finds this funny :p

tcook052 Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

700K a year! :eek: And I thought me making 1P was impressive. ;)