Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Toatal frequent flyer miles were form all airlines combined...plus credit card,hotel etc bonus miles.
I think the possibly scarier thought is to calculate how many total BIS miles you have accrued in your lifetime across all your airlines! Going to need a bigger calculator!

Congrats again! I can't fathom the time and money to keep up your schedule for almost as long as i am old! Just, wow!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I think Tom mentioned in one of the interviews that he has multiple millions of miles, but not 50 million. That sounds like it might be some form of lifetime accrual.

Also, he did mention in a couple articles something about the 300% bonus, which would be quite a bit higher than the 100% that one gets from 1P up. Maybe he means 200% bonus, 100% for elites, 125%-150% more for purchasing C,D,F, totaling 250% all in.?

Maybe GS gets 150% bonus and not the 100% that most elites, 1K, 1P get?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:58 am

50m was mentioned by Tom in the NPR interview.

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I think Tom mentioned in one of the interviews that he has multiple millions of miles, but not 50 million. That sounds like it might be some form of lifetime accrual.

Also, he did mention in a couple articles something about the 300% bonus, which would be quite a bit higher than the 100% that one gets from 1P up. Maybe he means 200% bonus, 100% for elites, 125%-150% more for purchasing C,D,F, totaling 250% all in.?

Maybe GS gets 150% bonus and not the 100% that most elites, 1K, 1P get?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
current

Originally Posted by malgudi
50m was mentioned by Tom in the NPR interview.
Current, as in currently banked on balance? that would in essence imply that nearly nothing has ever been used.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
GS get the same 100% RDM bonus that 1Ks and 1Ps do.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Shigernafy
GS get the same 100% RDM bonus that 1Ks and 1Ps do.
Isn't this due to the fact that GS is "not" a MP level designation, but rather is a UA designation??

At one time, IIRC, one could be a GS and 'only' a 1P - such as travel planners at large companies and the like.

Dave
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Current, as in currently banked on balance? that would in essence imply that nearly nothing has ever been used.
It is very clear that Tom estimates that over the years he has earned somewhere between 40 and 50 million frequent flier miles, and that he regularly uses them (all) up, on gift cards, auctions, etc.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
Originally Posted by bseller
Isn't this due to the fact that GS is "not" a MP level designation, but rather is a UA designation??

At one time, IIRC, one could be a GS and 'only' a 1P - such as travel planners at large companies and the like.
Could be. I've heard that GS was only a 1P match long ago, with flyers having to actually earn 1K with EQM/S like everyone else, but that predates my membership. It does often refer to me as 1K in internal systems, though, so your theory may be correct. (Though the UDU line at the bottom of my itineraries says that I'm "a valued MileagePlus Global Services member", so its inconsistent.)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bseller

Dave
Got a DM card last week and on the bottom it had "MP Level: GS".
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K,Hyatt Diamond,AA Lifetime Platinum,SPG
I am late for the congratulations for OP and I just find this post. It is awesome! I thought the person on the youtube who has 10mm BIS miles of UA would not go to FT. Now I find I am wrong! Cong again!

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
IT'S OFFICIAL. The 10 million mile flight will be Saturday July 9th UA 942 LAX to ORD. United will have a celebration planned at ORD and will allow me to invite about 20 FTers to the party. For those local they will provide gate passes. It will be in the terminal somewhere. For those interested United has requested names and email addresses of those coming. If you would like an official invite please contact me at ua1flyer[at]yahoo[dot]com. Should be fun....I know " I "will be celebrating!

Sorry...too excited. The flight leaves LAX at 11am and arrives in ORD at 5:01 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
CHICAGO, Dec. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines' most frequent flyer, Tom Stuker, this month became the first United customer to fly 1 million miles on United and United Express in a calendar year, reaching the mark on Dec. 6 onboard United flight 949 between London and Chicago.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20121214/CG30004)

This is the latest travel milestone for Stuker, who in July 2011 was the first person to fly 10 million miles on United and United Express. With more than 13 million miles flown, Stuker is one of commercial aviation's highest-mileage travelers.

"We congratulate Tom on another remarkable achievement," said Tom O'Toole, president of MileagePlus. "We look forward to having him fly with us for the next million miles and beyond."

"It has been a phenomenal year flying with United," said Stuker. "Everyone at the airline, from the customer service agents to the flight attendants to the ramp workers, has made my travels feel effortless."

Stuker estimates he has flown more than 6,000 flights on United, including about 400 flights this calendar year alone. To equal the distance that Stuker achieved this year, a traveler would need to trek around the world about 40 times. Cruising at 570 miles per hour, a single nonstop flight of 1 million miles would land 73 days after takeoff. Stuker's 11 million miles flown on United would also put him about a third of the distance from Earth to Mars.

Stuker, an automotive sales consultant who - when not in-flight - lives in suburban Chicago and New Jersey, began clocking his miles after joining United's MileagePlus loyalty program in 1983. Since then, he has logged most of his miles flying to Asia and Australia and has flown to all fifty U.S. states.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
That's a lot of flying by anybody's standards, with the possible exception of astronauts.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
He spent over a fifth of his life this year in a United plane... eesh....
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
"It has been a phenomenal year flying with United," said Stuker. "Everyone at the airline, from the customer service agents to the flight attendants to the ramp workers, has made my travels feel effortless."
Doesn't seem to match most people who have flown UA post 3/3...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Doesn't seem to match most people who have flown UA post 3/3...
For some reason or other Tom seems to get good treatment from UA - must be luck or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.