ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 8, 19, 1:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jdivenere
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 11, 11, 11:25 am
  #376  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SEA/YVR/BLI
Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 9,269
We would have loved to join in and to meet you in person, but Mrs. Fredd and I extend our congratulations to you in the meantime and hope perhaps to meet you down the road. ^
Fredd is offline  
Old Jul 11, 11, 11:31 am
  #377  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SNA
Posts: 164
Congrats Tom, my wife saw a story about this over the weekend and she asked me if I had any thoughts of doing something like this that she might commit me. Hope your next 10MM goes smoothly.
VWGuru is offline  
Old Jul 11, 11, 11:45 am
  #378  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 1,615
congrats Tom! Hopefully one day I'll reach my goal of just a mere million!

btw, are there any pilots/FAs who've kept track of how many miles they've flown in their careers? It'd be interesting to see...every FA I've asked have remarked that they really don't want to know how many they've flown saying that it's way too much...
bniu is offline  
Old Jul 11, 11, 11:51 am
  #379  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF BayArea
Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Posts: 2,223
What an event! The RCC party was wonderful, Tom's generosity of spirit shined throughout, United did him proud with gifts & personal acknowledgements, & the Hyatt after-party was great! Loved seeing old friends, making new ones & especially sharing with Tom & his family this amazing milestone. Can't wait to see Tim's video!
travelsavant is offline  
Old Jul 11, 11, 1:04 pm
  #380  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: BUR/LAX
Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Posts: 693
I was fortunate to be in attendance & yes, it really was a fantastic party & celebration. I posted my videos of the event on my blog today:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...ration-part-2/
UNITED863 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 11, 1:16 pm
  #381  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SFO, LON
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Posts: 2,354
Impressive, congrats! Would have loved to have been there!
MarkedMan is offline  
Old Jul 11, 11, 2:11 pm
  #382  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: san francisco.
Programs: Marriott Plat, OW Ruby
Posts: 1,557
10 million miler with Titanium MP card

Sorry if this has been posted before...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/07/11...ss_igoogle_cnn
tattikat2 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 4:31 pm
  #383  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Programs: SPG Platinum; Marriott Silver; United PremExec; DL&Skybonus; Amtrak Select+
Posts: 57
man - i saw this news elsewhere and only until now managed to find this thread here on FT.

still in awe.
jyzhu is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 8:44 pm
  #384  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,529
See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2-lax-ord.html
serfty is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 9:17 pm
  #385  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NRT-ORD-LHR-KUL
Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Posts: 1,112
Absolutely Brilliant !!! Congratulations on a wonderful milestone Tom and ^^ to UA for doing such a great job.
Rpcfly is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 12:21 am
  #386  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston
Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Silver/Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 360
Thumbs up

Congrats on the milestone Tom!
visorboy1974 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 11:21 am
  #387  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SJC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,628
I wouldn't want to intrude on Tom's privacy, but this is uncharted territory, and I am curious about a few things.

First, the articles (presumably for journalistic purposes) touted how he'd always get upgraded for life. Is this just an uninformed way of saying that as a GS (and maybe there's tiers of GS) he'd likely get upgrades, or is it more literally that whenever he books a flight, he gets put up front no matter what, regardless of upgrade inventory? In other words, are we ever going to see "STU/T" on the upgrade monitors? (perhaps in a different color to mean "forget it, you're not getting past me" )

Second, the articles mention after flying 10M miles, he has 50M FF miles (and presumably he's spent some over the years). Even with elite and cabin bonuses, I'm unsure how you get that high. Do GS get a higher elite bonus (200% 300%?). Is this just a lifetime of Elite Choice Awards or lucky use of double/triple miles offers? Does Tom buy Award Accelerator?
SFOSpiff is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 11:57 am
  #388  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston
Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Silver/Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 360
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff View Post
Second, the articles mention after flying 10M miles, he has 50M FF miles (and presumably he's spent some over the years). Even with elite and cabin bonuses, I'm unsure how you get that high. Do GS get a higher elite bonus (200% 300%?). Is this just a lifetime of Elite Choice Awards or lucky use of double/triple miles offers? Does Tom buy Award Accelerator?
Don't forget if he has a Mileage Plus CC and purchases most, if not all of those 10 million miles worth of flights/hotels/cars/meals with it, he's likely got plenty of miles from that as well.
visorboy1974 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 11:59 am
  #389  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SJC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by visorboy1974 View Post
Don't forget if he has a Mileage Plus CC and purchases most, if not all of those 10 million miles worth of flights/hotels/cars/meals with it, he's likely got plenty of miles from that as well.
Ah, good point, I overlooked that.
SFOSpiff is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 1:08 pm
  #390  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ord,ewr
Programs: Lifetime UA GS 21million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Posts: 885
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff View Post
I wouldn't want to intrude on Tom's privacy, but this is uncharted territory, and I am curious about a few things.

First, the articles (presumably for journalistic purposes) touted how he'd always get upgraded for life. Is this just an uninformed way of saying that as a GS (and maybe there's tiers of GS) he'd likely get upgrades, or is it more literally that whenever he books a flight, he gets put up front no matter what, regardless of upgrade inventory? In other words, are we ever going to see "STU/T" on the upgrade monitors? (perhaps in a different color to mean "forget it, you're not getting past me" )

Second, the articles mention after flying 10M miles, he has 50M FF miles (and presumably he's spent some over the years). Even with elite and cabin bonuses, I'm unsure how you get that high. Do GS get a higher elite bonus (200% 300%?). Is this just a lifetime of Elite Choice Awards or lucky use of double/triple miles offers? Does Tom buy Award Accelerator?
Toatal frequent flyer miles were form all airlines combined...plus credit card,hotel etc bonus miles.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 14, 11 at 4:01 pm Reason: merge
ua1flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: