Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
How many of his 23 million miler miles are actual butt in seat miles ? 15 million? Just wondering if anyone knows ………
why would you think it’s only 15 million?
Old May 9, 2023, 8:12 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
I guess if you were a shorthaul segment warrior doing tens of thousands of sub-500-mile flights but getting the 500 mile elite minimum, there could be a big gap. But with the longhauls you have put in, I'd think actual flown miles are pretty close to your lifetime UA miles total.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
If there was a lot of F or J on CO in the past, the fare-class multipliers were incorporated into the Lifetime count, and these were 1.5x at least.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
The truth lies somewhere in between.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by exerda
I guess if you were a shorthaul segment warrior doing tens of thousands of sub-500-mile flights but getting the 500 mile elite minimum, there could be a big gap. But with the longhauls you have put in, I'd think actual flown miles are pretty close to your lifetime UA miles total.
I was kind of thinking the other way. Flights paid for with miles didn't count toward lifetime, so wondering if true Butt-In-Seat miles would be even higher?
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Other carriers included lifetime credits from credit card purchases, so for those carriers BIS and lifetime can be very different. UA never did that although CO did include premium cabin bonus and UA did an adjustment in 2012 to equalize the history. But purely paid BIS since then.

The concept of pure BIS is unfamiliar to those outside of UA.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Other carriers included lifetime credits from credit card purchases, so for those carriers BIS and lifetime can be very different. UA never did that although CO did include premium cabin bonus and UA did an adjustment in 2012 to equalize the history. But purely paid BIS since then.

The concept of pure BIS is unfamiliar to those outside of UA.
And as others have noted, I suspect Tom has flown enough on award miles to account for any sub-500 credit and pre-merger bonuses.

I also wonder what’s the motivation behind the question.
artvandalay likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by halls120
I also wonder what’s the motivation behind the question.
Why would you think there's any motivation beyond idle curiousity?
D3Kingg likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I can’t imagine how many million dollars in fares you need to pay to have those many miles!! Should name a plane afterTom!!!
Old May 9, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by manstein58
I can’t imagine how many million dollars in fares you need to pay to have those many miles!! Should name a plane afterTom!!!
They did.
Rare, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 5 others like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
They did.
Fr those of you who have not seen the picture:

Old May 9, 2023, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why would you think there's any motivation beyond idle curiousity?
Since Tom is regular here, and it's easy to contact him, the questioner could have sent him a PM and asked him.

I'm not buying "idle curiosity," especially when, after posters responded with explanations on how Tom rang up his miles, the poster responded with "The truth lies somewhere in between."
iluv2fly likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 11:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Since Tom is regular here, and it's easy to contact him, the questioner could have sent him a PM and asked him. ...
The poster is not a UA regular and they were likely not aware of this. Their post was moved to this thread (as noted).

I'm not buying "idle curiosity," especially when, after posters responded with explanations on how Tom rang up his miles, the poster responded with "The truth lies somewhere in between."
The poster is AA flyer and the AA lifetime system operates very differently -- in the AA system, the query make 100% sense, just does not in the UA system.

I think we all, with 1,2,3,4, even 5 million miles have a hard time wrapping our minds around Tom's accomplishment.
goodeats21, wrp96, D3Kingg and 1 others like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Since Tom is regular here, and it's easy to contact him, the questioner could have sent him a PM and asked him.

Just curious about the world’s most frequent flyer. He referred to 15 million as ‘only’ so that’s tells me it’s closer to 23 million miles. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old May 9, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Just curious about the world’s most frequent flyer. He referred to 15 million as ‘only’ so that’s tells me it’s closer to 23 million miles. Sorry if I offended anyone.
D3Kingg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.