ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 8, 19, 1:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jdivenere
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 16, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by ua1flyer View Post
I almost did the “Flat Stanley” one year, but I thought he would make me look too fa! Lol.
You always look marvelous in pictures and anyone would be lucky to have your participation for Flat Stanley.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:24 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 21million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
You always look marvelous in pictures and anyone would be lucky to have your participation for Flat Stanley.
You know, maybe I should do this, what would his name be? What objectives,goals? How can we turn it into a charity perhaps? How do we monetize? Does he meet flat girls along the way..lol! Does he have a Facebook page, an instgrame account? Does he sell autograph photos? Merchandise. Again, for a charity So, let’s get this idea going ,we have very creative people on Flyertalk ! Spread e word.. give me your Ideas. Maybe a guy could a goof and funny, maybe his girlfriend could have a name of Charity? Well let’s do this!
m
AeRoSpaceman and JWWI like this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I am at a loss for a name but I think this could be an amazing way to raise some money for a great cause. For me the first one that comes to mind is any one of the education charities (Flat Stanley is after all a mainstay of elementary class rooms - with my wife being a first grade teacher he has made many trips with me). In terms of just how to raise money with this a few thoughts come to mind...
  • Sponsor by the mile - this one is almost too obvious
  • "Donate a turn" - where more flyertalk members get involved and make a donation to get their turn to travel with Stanley (this may be poorly worded so if it does not make sense I can expand)
  • Come up with some Stanley quests that people pledge for (things like 3 countries in a week, or cross an ocean on consecutive days)
  • Corporate sponsorship? Could he wear a United shirt or a Nike Hat

For social media he will of course need facebook, instagram and twitter (to encourage the corporate sponsors)

Finally I would add get some schools involved - I think you could get kids excited to see something they were involved in travel the world.

Whatever you do please count me in as a VERY willing participant - this is an amazing idea!
AeRoSpaceman and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 15, 19, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Hit 21 million today flying from Melbourne to Chicago. No celebration, but a BBQ with my 2 sons and my granddaughter tonight in Chicago, will be all the celebration I could ask for. It’s been a great summer so far and much more to go! Safe travels to all!
Congrad. But does not seem like the airlines care anymore. I was one of the first million milers on Delta and Ron Allen met me at take off on the plane with a bottle of DOM (had to let FA open and shared with cabin
Old Oct 17, 19, 12:56 pm

Tom featured here in a photo spread of EWR Polaris lounge fliers

https://www.thecut.com/2019/10/look-...ss-lounge.html
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 21million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Crossed 3,500,000 PQM on the way to Chicago from Tokyo.
Fredd, wxguy, SF_DUKE and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
You never cease to amaze me.
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post

Here's the print version in New York Magazine.

Fredd likes this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:27 pm

Funny that the carry-on pictured is almost surely larger than the allowed 9” depth
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post

In that article Tom answers one of the questions I’ve always wanted to ask but never got around to. Which is - “Surely you’ve passed Fred Finn’s record and if so why are you not in the Guinness Book of Records?”

“Later, I got this email from this polite British guy that said, “Excuse me. I happen to be in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s No. 1 flier.” His numbers did turn out to be a million more than mine. Nicest guy. Passed him about three years ago. But I’m not going to call the Guinness people, because he cares about it much more than I do.”

Priceless.
wrp96 and gmt4 like this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Who is/was Fred Finn and did he fly UA or some other carrier?
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! So, how many BIS miles would that translate into?
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Funny that the carry-on pictured is almost surely larger than the allowed 9” depth
It is within the legal limit, fits easily in the overhead and is smaller than about half the bags brought on board in business class.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
British Airways. Hold the world record for flying the Concord over 700 times. He traveled internationally brokering product licensing . One of the nicest guys you will ever meet!! Honored to have him as a friend.

He is from England, but also lives in the Ukraine. Years ago he took me on a trip on Ukraine International Airlines on their inaugural flight from JFK to Kiev. It was a trip of a lifetime!! Not the flight , but my stay in Kiev. Again, Fred Finn is one class act and a great friend!!

Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Wow! So, how many BIS miles would that translate into?
A little over 1.2 million BIS. Not including a few non United flights.
Fredd and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 13, 19 at 8:55 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/ex...elled-man.html
and believe was primarily a BA flyer -- the mileage included all airlines
Old Nov 13, 19, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
'Ol Fred Finn has an active twitter account and is still laying claim to being the worlds most travelled Individual according to his profile. A matter of perspective it seems..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: