ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 8, 19, 1:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jdivenere
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 5, 10, 12:59 am

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Two Thumbs Up for Nightline piece!

A fun piece to watch, and ua1flyer, don't worry, you came across great! I even recorded it for my FF-wannabe daughter.

I am so glad I just happened across Nightline at just the right time. And good to see United get it's due.

Two thumbs up! ^ ^

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 5, 10 at 1:32 am Reason: Referred to ua1flyer by his "TV" name. Major oops! :-)
Old Mar 5, 10, 1:21 am

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
^^

Well done ua1flyer. A very good story on Nightline.

I was wishing for more. I don't know how much more. Just more.
Old Mar 5, 10, 9:34 am

Programs: Various
That was a great story - it must have been a lot of work for you to do the filming, but it was really well done.
Old Mar 5, 10, 9:51 am

Programs: UA GS
Tom.

Great job on your Nightline piece last night. Not knowing you personally, I watched the segment to see what you looked like and expecting that I had been with you on a previous flight. I'm at the top of the IQ chart in facial recognition and I am quite certain that we haven't flown together. Hopefully we'll have that chance sometime down the road.

Great PR for UA......they owe you a name plate on a second aircraft.
Old Mar 5, 10, 10:02 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ua1flyer View Post
In a couple of minutes, Nightline will be showing an" Up In The Air " segment on nightline. i spent the whole day filming with these people. They were totally professional. The bottom line is this, I have no idea what will come out. I want to appollogize in advance for any comment or attitude that could have been taken in the wrong way. I have and always have had tremendous respect for my fellow travelers/road warriors, especially those whose companies make them fly in the back of the bus week in and week out....You are the true up in the air people! And of course to my second family....United. I love all you guys. You are the reason I love to fly.
very good piece and very nicely portrayed and if may, with the bolding mine, i may never (ok, will never ) see the light of g/s and may drop from 1k on occasion but you are 9 million % right-that's the same reason why i fly only united.
Old Mar 5, 10, 1:28 pm

Programs: United GS+
ua1flyer

Now I'm certain that I've briefly spoke to you once at ORD GS reception about a year ago. I showed up to ticket something, and you were chatting with a GS agent. The agent mentioned how much you fly, and I was sure that she was mistaken. Guess I was wrong.

It was awesome to see the usual GS crew on the ABC story.

Out of curiosity, were you traveling on IFC, or do you always get IFC lounge access since you are a super-GS?
Old Mar 5, 10, 3:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by jgsx View Post
ua1flyer

Now I'm certain that I've briefly spoke to you once at ORD GS reception about a year ago. I showed up to ticket something, and you were chatting with a GS agent. The agent mentioned how much you fly, and I was sure that she was mistaken. Guess I was wrong.

Out of curiosity, were you traveling on IFC, or do you always get IFC lounge access since you are a super-GS?
I was on my way to Australia.
Old Mar 5, 10, 3:49 pm

9 million, wow! congrats! i only hope to reach 1 million in my lifetime, haha.
Old Mar 5, 10, 4:31 pm

Programs: *G
So

I gotta ask. And pardon if its too intrusive...

Whats a typical week or a 2 week itinerary like for you?

And in the video it said you made 272 trips... we know how inaccurate news is... is it 272 segments (albeit longhaul .. 3000*270=800k) or 272 actual roundtrips... meaning you pretty much board a plane twice a day
Old Mar 5, 10, 5:02 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by jgsx View Post
ua1flyer

Spilling the beans on such things might put him and UA in an uncomfortable position. He's already shown some discretion by deflecting the rather tactless question regarding the Mile High club.

There are no requirements for common sense on the 'net and I can just imagine all manner of self-important folk who don't bother with the fine print (9 million miles!!!) and are incensed that UA doesn't value them highly enough.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 5, 10 at 5:21 pm Reason: Toned down a bit
Old Mar 5, 10, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Nice UA1Flyer! Way to go and here's to 10mm!
Old Mar 5, 10, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Paolo01 View Post
I am not sure why 7K BIS would be that unfathomable for you true FF's. I flew 1.3K BIS with NO DEQM from either period. I do not feel like I flew anywhere near as much as most of you elite Frequent Fliers I see every week. It sounds like this particular person was flying internationally on most of his trips. This seems perfectly possible to me. I am sure that some poor SOB flew his Million Miles in one year. Maybe we can put Lucky up to the challenge of seeing if that is possible
I fly 7K every month a lot of the time. It's a breeze. Now 7K is actually 7,000 miles, not 700,000. UA has misled everybody with its ridiculous use of 1K to supposedly represent 100,000 miles. It really only means 1,000! So Palo01, don't fall into the sloppy usage that UA does!
Old Mar 6, 10, 2:40 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
"Real" Up-in-the-Air flyers are showing up everywhere!
Old Mar 6, 10, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by violist View Post
"Real" Up-in-the-Air flyers are showing up everywhere!
Person in the video flies 200K miles a year and approaches 3mm on AA. No disrespect to her, but did they even search on FT? It seems that the subject is hot and every channel wants to feature a very frequent flyer, but the best one has already been taken
Old Mar 6, 10, 9:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Oh, I think they made a good choice - of subject (not airline)!

Search this Thread