Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Congrats on hitting 20M!

Does UA pay you to appear in these videos and other promotional materials?
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Congrats on hitting 20M!

Does UA pay you to appear in these videos and other promotional materials?
I’ve said many times that United is “Family” to me and tha’s nothow family works. I am very appreciative for all United has done for me. To do an occasional interview or PR piece is an honor and my pleasure.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Passed 300,000 PQM today on the way to Australia.Busiest month of my year.
superEGO, kirkwoodj, DELee and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Tom, I took the Island Hopper last year as part of a EWR-HNL-GUM-NRT-EWR mileage run. That meant having to watch the safety video nine times in 48 hours. By the 5th time, I felt like the guy strapped to a chair in "A Clockwork Orange." What do you do during the safety video?

As an aside, when on a plane with a live safety demo, I always watch the FA directly, figuring they deserve an audience out of respect.
N515CR likes this.

Last edited by tarheelnj; Jan 21, 2019 at 2:46 pm Reason: corrected math on number of departures
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:16 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Tom, I took the Island Hopper last year as part of a EWR-HNL-GUM-NRT-EWR mileage run. That meant having to watch the safety video nine times in 48 hours. By the 5th time, I felt like the guy strapped to a chair in "A Clockwork Orange." What do you do during the safety video?

As an aside, when on a plane with a live safety demo, I always watch the FA directly, figuring they deserve an audience out of respect.
I can't remember the last time I watched the security video. I'm usually reading a book or playing with my phone. Either way I've got headphones on and tune out any distractions.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helvetic
I can't remember the last time I watched the security video. I'm usually reading a book or playing with my phone. Either way I've got headphones on and tune out any distractions.
I've never experienced an emergent landing, but I think in the unfortunate and 'unlikely event of one', I'd be quite glad to have paid attention and internalised the procedures. Every aircraft has its nuances, and those are the times that they matter.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I've never experienced an emergent landing, but I think in the unfortunate and 'unlikely event of one', I'd be quite glad to have paid attention and internalised the procedures. Every aircraft has its nuances, and those are the times that they matter.
I never see any nuances covered in either the video or live safety briefings. Have to consult the card for that.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by fumje
I fly >100 segments a year. I'm pretty sure I know the procedures by now.

Not to make myself sound important or anything — I'm nothing compared to @ua1flyer — but there's a point at which the content of the video is redundant. I've reached that point a long time ago.
jjmoore and mdbe like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I'm the same way, but I haven't been able to watch the videos since United turned them into a farce.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I fly >100 segments a year. I'm pretty sure I know the procedures by now.

Not to make myself sound important or anything — I'm nothing compared to @ua1flyer — but there's a point at which the content of the video is redundant. I've reached that point a long time ago.
I fly considerably more than almost anyone else on this board (Tom's certainly got me beat on miles, but I'd wager not on segments), and still pay attention every leg I'm in a pax seat. It's a welcome reminder of the nuances, as @fumje says. Off the top of your head do you know on which narrowbody a/c you can/cannot use the OWE exits for a water landing? Where are the life rafts on the 757-200? US1549 didn't have time for an emergency brief to rebrief all of these things

Which, actually, brings me to the question I don't think I've ever seen an answer to. Tom, if you don't mind my asking, approximately how many segments do you fly each year?
mdbe likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington
I fly considerably more than almost anyone else on this board (Tom's certainly got me beat on miles, but I'd wager not on segments), and still pay attention every leg I'm in a pax seat. It's a welcome reminder of the nuances, as @fumje says. Off the top of your head do you know on which narrowbody a/c you can/cannot use the OWE exits for a water landing? Where are the life rafts on the 757-200? US1549 didn't have time for an emergency brief to rebrief all of these things

Which, actually, brings me to the question I don't think I've ever seen an answer to. Tom, if you don't mind my asking, approximately how many segments do you fly each year?
Last year I flew 542.5 segments on United. I avg over 500 segments a year. This month will be about 60. It was an unusual amount of flying this month.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer

Last year I flew 542.5 segments on United. I avg over 500 segments a year. This month will be about 60. It was an unusual amount of flying this month.
How many actual flown segments (vs. elite qualifying)? I imagine you're not counting a diversion back to home airport as a half-segment haha.
michaeltchuang likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:07 pm

How many actual flown segments (vs. elite qualifying)? I imagine you're not counting a diversion back to home airport as a half-segment haha.
I always thought those .5 segments were for flights on UX, the 737MAX or Ted

-James
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:44 pm

almost 400
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:47 pm

Hit 500,000 PQM tomorrow heading home from Australia. Probably my biggest month of the year. Already 1/3 the way to 21.
pushmyredbutton and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.