Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fastair
Hopefully he did before it began flying for TransSoviet.
He could have flown it with RG too!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by Seated in First
See the comments field!
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...222/0076616/L/

I assume United contacted you in light of the film release to do some PR?

Pretty amazing amount of travel though if a lot of it is to Australia I suspect that's about the best way to do it. I guess I did around 230,000 miles last year, couldn't imagine doing a 700,000 miles schedule on anything but longhauls, and in F obviously!
Wow! I have never seen that before. Thanks. There is a very funny/interesting story behind that. You are correct about UA starting up the PR,and it's been crazy the last few weeks. ABC news,Time magazine,Inside Edition,Fox and Friends,Nightline,some Australia interviews and even a proposed book deal! Very flattering to say the least. I better manage this attention carefully or I will waste my entire 15 minutes of fame!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Wow! I have never seen that before. Thanks. There is a very funny/interesting story behind that. You are correct about UA starting up the PR,and it's been crazy the last few weeks. ABC news,Time magazine,Inside Edition,Fox and Friends,Nightline,some Australia interviews and even a proposed book deal! Very flattering to say the least. I better manage this attention carefully or I will waste my entire 15 minutes of fame!
Unfortunately the plane has transferred to Transaero (Varig before that):
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...gsearch=EI-UNZ
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by as219

That's amazing! ^^^

Did you ever get to fly her?
One time. On a flight from ORD to LHR. When I landed, someone from United asked me "Did you know that was your plane? (meaning the plane with my name on it) My only experience was when my son and I were walking down a concourse at IAD and he spots" my plane" at a gate." Cool,where is it going" I asked. My son said it was going to Munich. Well what the heck,we were there to spend a weekend together in Paris, so let's just switch the tickets to Munich!Done! We were pretty exited flying together on "Dad's plane!" Here we are toasting each other with pre-departure champaigne as the door is closing and I look out the window and see that the next gate over..the flight to Frankfurt,is oh boy.....yeah "Dad's plane".....bottom line had one of the best weekends with my son.....and I'll take that every time.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
One time. On a flight from ORD to LHR. When I landed, someone from United asked me "Did you know that was your plane? (meaning the plane with my name on it) My only experience was when my son and I were walking down a concourse at IAD and he spots" my plane" at a gate." Cool,where is it going" I asked. My son said it was going to Munich. Well what the heck,we were there to spend a weekend together in Paris, so let's just switch the tickets to Munich!Done! We were pretty exited flying together on "Dad's plane!" Here we are toasting each other with pre-departure champaigne as the door is closing and I look out the window and see that the next gate over..the flight to Frankfurt,is oh boy.....yeah "Dad's plane".....bottom line had one of the best weekends with my son.....and I'll take that every time.
That's the most sincere thing I've ever read on FT. If it's people like you at the top, I'm proud to be a meager 1K-lite with 60K BIS.

And I hope to one day be toasting my son/daughter in UA C -- just have to wait 21 more years or so.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1P
Corporate jets are subject to the same weather and mechanical problems that shut down and delay airline traffic. Except there is no easy way to put you on another plane
Weather yes, mechanical maybe. In the states a mechanical means you're stuck on the ground and you can get another plane from somewhere (same provider, another, charter) within about 2 hours to pick you up. All it takes is money.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by rnordquest
Weather yes, mechanical maybe. In the states a mechanical means you're stuck on the ground and you can get another plane from somewhere (same provider, another, charter) within about 2 hours to pick you up. All it takes is money.
In a couple of minutes, Nightline will be showing an" Up In The Air " segment on nightline. i spent the whole day filming with these people. They were totally professional. The bottom line is this, I have no idea what will come out. I want to appollogize in advance for any comment or attitude that could have been taken in the wrong way. I have and always have had tremendous respect for my fellow travelers/road warriors, especially those whose companies make them fly in the back of the bus week in and week out....You are the true up in the air people! And of course to my second family....United. I love all you guys. You are the reason I love to fly.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
In a couple of minutes, Nightline will be showing an" Up In The Air " segment on nightline. i spent the whole day filming with these people. They were totally professional. The bottom line is this, I have no idea what will come out. I want to appollogize in advance for any comment or attitude that could have been taken in the wrong way. I have and always have had tremendous respect for my fellow travelers/road warriors, especially those whose companies make them fly in the back of the bus week in and week out....You are the true up in the air people! And of course to my second family....United. I love all you guys. You are the reason I love to fly.
Here it is:

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/george-...ory?id=9341566
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the heads up. It isn't on for a couple of hours here, so I put it in my Tivo to record.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Thanks for the heads up. It isn't on for a couple of hours here, so I put it in my Tivo to record.
Same here. I'll remote into my DVR to record it! Should be interesting to see!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

It was very good. Nice job. Sally is awesome, BTW.

The report lost a little crediblity when it said "gourmet meals" and referred to UA.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:58 pm

Great segment! It's nice to have air travel royalty here at FT.

I plead the 5th on the MHC.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:01 pm

I just happened to catch it since I left the TV on ABC after Grey's Anatomy.

I thought it was a good story. Many will never understand it, but we do.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:21 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Very nice story on Nightline tonight. The "all day" of filming explains the continuity issues I was having watching the interview on the cart. Couldn't figure out what the heck you were doing cruising around both T1 and T2 and even getting off of an RJ at one point... And even as a lowly 2P these days, I knew right away that we were seeing UA at ORD.

Nice job and a nice PR job by UA. They need to team you up with Capt Denny!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tom, very nice story! I'm glad to see UA getting some good PR! However, I do have to agree about the "Gourmet Meals"!

By the way, thanks for letting me see where the GS room at ORD is! I'll keep an eye out for it next time I fly through.

In the off chance you want to shed some of the gift cards, I'm sure your friend on FT would be happy to accept!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.