Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1.1 million miles expired 6 wks ago

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
unitedmillionmiler, thanks for sharing this fine resolution and glad that the FT community could help. Now that you'll be redeeming those miles and hopefully earning more, feel free to share more experiences with us.
^ ^ ^
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA, DL, Marriott Plat
Darn - another million-miler with which to compete in the new upgrades for everybody program coming. But UA gives another reason to stick with their program in the service they rendered - congratulations. ^
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I LOOOOOVE happy endings ^
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Congrats. ^ Use them in good health.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:56 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
^sweet But now Use them! 120,000 mls =*A first class to asia you could get up to 10 trips !! ours planed for fall 2010 (if n when we get mls n seats)
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by unitedmillionmiler
Over the weekend, my UA MP account was credited with just above 1.1 million miles. The Customer Service rep I spoke to Friday had alerted me that it might be happening shortly and that it was the largest number of miles he had ever seen posted overnight on any account. In the end, it came down to a Thanksgiving 2008 rental on Hertz which I had forgotten about until I started going through my credit card statements.

Initially, when I called Hertz in mid-November, they claimed they didn't have records going back one year but I begged them to look because the rental was just under 12 months old. After they found the rental, Hertz posted a 500 mile credit to my account but, unfortunately, the posting date was mid-Nov 2009, the date I had called Hertz, rather than the actual rental date. Once the miles were posted to UA, Hertz claimed they couldn't take 'em back and re-post with the correct date. I then had to work with United's Special Services Desk -- sending them copies of my credit card bill to prove I had indeed rented a Hertz car a year ago. Because of the backlog, the Special Services didn't even get to looking at my faxed request for more than 2 weeks. Last Wednesday (Dec 9), when I checked my MP balance, it showed 500 miles posted on Dec-08 and I knew it was only a matter of time before the system catches up and my miles are restored. When it didn't happen by Friday afternoon, I called Premier Executive customer service which is when I was assured that the all the expired miles will soon be posted back.

Not that I wish it on any one, wonder if any else has successfully regained similar amount of miles... To ensure it never happens again, I've made a point of rejoining Mileage Plus Dining as well as the Grocery Miles programs. Also planning family trips to Europe for next summer to start using up these miles.

Thank you all for your support. I guess all's well that ends well!

[One last thing: I must've called Premier Executive Desk more than 10 times over the course of the month as I tried to get my miles re-posted. Every person at United I talked to seemed genuinely interested in helping me. I haven't flown United lately but it a pleasure dealing with the Customer Service staff. Can't wait to start flying the friendly skies again.]

Best regards,

Happy Million Miler.
Thanks for the update! Stick around and participate in our FT community and you'll find a plethora of things, tricks/tips and tidbits to keep those miles growing!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:20 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
nice to see a happy ending ^ and nice to see ua coming thru on the human side ^ (albeit probably a major one-off, but still nice to see)
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:12 am

Mileage Plus Miles Expired

My United Mileage Plus miles expired a few months ago. I flew a couple United flights years ago but none recently. I have a good chunk of unused miles though. I was wondering if there is any way for me to get United to reinstate them. Anyone have any experience with this? Is there another thread that discusses this? I'm new to the forum. I searched for information but did not find any. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:19 am
SLC

Somebody successfully reclaimed a large number of miles recently. See this thead for details 1.1 million miles expired 6 wks ago.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

What an incredible story. My advice is to get a m+ visa card and use it at least once a month. The annual fee is cheap insurance and the rdms do post like clock work.

Congratulations.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TheWanderer865
My United Mileage Plus miles expired a few months ago. I flew a couple United flights years ago but none recently. I have a good chunk of unused miles though.
Make that past tense, had a good chunk of unused miles.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Unitedmillionmiler, glad to know your happy ending.

In the future, it will be helpful in a similar situation; specifically asking car rental company to post the actual rental date.

Originally Posted by mre5765
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

What an incredible story. My advice is to get a m+ visa card and use it at least once a month. The annual fee is cheap insurance and the rdms do post like clock work.

Congratulations.
Someone suggested a free MP Visa card, you receive one mile for every two dollars spent. Then charge at least once a year shall accomplish the same. In that case, the insurance premium is free. Free is the word we like to hear on FT.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 16, 2009 at 4:20 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My United Mileage Plus miles expired a few months ago. I flew a couple United flights years ago but none recently. I have a good chunk of unused miles though. I was wondering if there is any way for me to get United to reinstate them. Anyone have any experience with this? Is there another thread that discusses this? I'm new to the forum. I searched for information but did not find any. Thanks in advance for your help!
This thread is one discussion of a successful reinstatement more general discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html & Mileage_Expiration_(UA)
and another successful reinstatement
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Hilton, Hyatt, Southwest
Reinstating Expired Miles

Based on my recent experience, here are your options:

1. Look for any unclaimed (i.e. not credited to a mileage program) car rentals, hotel stays, flower purchases from FTD etc. within 18 months of when your miles expired. It helps --as in my case -- if the rental /hotel stay etc. was in your name because then you can deal directly with the car rental/hotel/United and resolve any issues. Once the vendor posts the miles, all your expired miles should get re-instated within a couple of days. Make sure when you talk to the car rental/hotel company to post the miles on the actual date of rental/stay - and not the day you called.

2. If you have eaten at any restaurant that participates in Mileage Plus Dining within the last 90 days, join Mileage Plus Dining and ask for a retroactive credit.

3. If the miles expired are substantial, call United Customer Service and ask to participate in the "United Challenge." You pay a one-time $199 fee and agree to fly round-trip on UA within 90 days of paying the fee. You have one year from when your miles expired to participate in the challenge. Once you complete the flight, your miles should be reinstated. Remember to call and Take the Challenge before taking the flight. It might not make financial sense if you're only trying to reinstate 10,000 miles but depending on how you value miles (e.g. 1 mile = 2.5 cents), you can figure out at what point it becomes a compelling choice.

4. If all else fails, write (fax) to United's Special Services and request reinstatement.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Glad to hear of the reinstatement. I also had 14k miles expire Jul09. Not a great deal, but worth some effort to get back. I have been flying Southwest mostly in past 2 years as had a Companion Pass and wife goes with me.

So I guess I will be digging thru old info to see if I can find pre July 09 activity I can use.

In meantime, if anyone has a few points not yet posted (pre July 09), I would appreciate getting them. I will follow up on cr cards and be more aware from now on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.