Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1.1 million miles expired 6 wks ago

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K , HH Gold VIP, Hertz Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer

I work for a big F500 company; the miles are mine. Apparently this isn't universal, given Lightman7's post.
My company's Asia division keeps the employee's miles where as the US and EUR division the employee gets to keep the miles.

/dreaming about what I would do with 1.1M miles.
//Slashies!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Originally Posted by bmir
The rental cars or hotel stays don't have to be under your own name. So you just need ANYONE who has an uncredited car rental/stay to help you out here, and you can add your MP number to that stay for retro credit.

Did this with Hilton to rescue 40k miles, and it worked.

-bmir
I work at Hertz and can back track dates and rent a car out from as far back as I want. Though the little problem is I`m in Norway.
I reckon the OP should go to a Hertz office and make some kind of deal with the station manager and it should be fine. Hey if the OP was in Norway I would have done it in a flash.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by ryan182
Like I said, I've heard of it happening but its rare. How exactly did you get the corp account combined with your personal? Do you mean the took the miles you deposited into the corp pool with you when you left?? If so that sounds very odd and seems like it would be far more of an accounting and tracking issue than its worth.
The corporations do this in conjunction with the airlines, and the airlines are fine with this. Thus when I worked for said company I had two frequent flyer accounts (one corporate, one personal). When I left the company, I contacted UA and told them I no longer worked for the company and wanted the corporate account closed and all RDM/BIS miles credited to my MP account. UA did it without question.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:37 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I just deleted a couple of particularly rude and unwelcoming posts. If you find yours missing, please keep this FlyerTalk rule in mind:

Welcome Newcomers
FlyerTalk is friendly, informative, fun and thriving. When newcomers arrive, welcome them. By helping folks learn, you provide a shining example of what this community is about, and you help ensurethat FlyerTalk continues to flourish. New members may not understand FlyerTalk and its history as well as you do. Remember we were all newbies once.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q66

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Perhaps it varies among sectors. In a former life, I worked with people who were with a number of insurance companies. I would say that, as an industry, their Powers That Be were the most aggressive about the company owning the miles and points. It was part of a broader very authoritarian culture pattern, so it wasn't protested much. In fact, the people were hired for their extreme unlikeliness to protest anything, among other traits.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by bmir
The rental cars or hotel stays don't have to be under your own name. So you just need ANYONE who has an uncredited car rental/stay to help you out here, and you can add your MP number to that stay for retro credit.
-bmir
So how exactly does this work? A relative of mine lost 59,000 miles as of April 1 and I am going to try to reinstate them for him. I am sure I can dig up an uncredited stay that would get the miles necessary, how do I go about getting the miles re-instated?

Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
Originally Posted by N787UA
So how exactly does this work? A relative of mine lost 59,000 miles as of April 1 and I am going to try to reinstate them for him. I am sure I can dig up an uncredited stay that would get the miles necessary, how do I go about getting the miles re-instated?

Thanks
My wife had 40k miles expire, and I had an old, uncredited Hilton stay from before her expiration date. I called Hilton with my Hilton reservation information, and asked for retroactive airline mile credit, and gave them my wife's MP number. They added it to the reservation, told me to wait up to 30 days before it would show on the United side. It only took ~15 days, and sure enough, it showed in my wife's MP summary. Then at the end of the month UA reinstated her 40k miles (forgot if I had to call MP after the HH miles posted or not).

That's it!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: NZ and UA
Originally Posted by N787UA

Thanks
Just call the hotel chain and ask them to add the MP # to the reservation. It should hit the account with the backed date (must be before the miles expired of course).

Check to see if the miles automatically reinstate or if you will have to call after the hotel points post.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by richardcjy
I would be so surprised (and disgusted) if UA does not reinstate your mileages. I agree with earlier post that you should try to talk to the executive manager and let them know the situation. Please keep us posted about how this is resolved, and I wish you the best luck. You deserve those miles.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, richardcjy! Nice first post.

It seems like this story has struck a nerve here. Many of us work very hard to accumulate miles. But it isn't surprising that unitedmillionmiler would forget that those miles were in the M+ account. Lots of people have other things in their lives that require more attention. If the OP's travel was for business, and the OP doesn't travel much for leisure, it would be easy to lose track of the account status.

Mr. Lori_Q doesn't care about miles either. He's been traveling on my largesse since I started my annual 1K madness, and he thinks the mileage obsession is silly. He would have lost a lot of his own miles if I hadn't been careful to put a transaction on his account every now and then. (Heh heh heh...He doesn't know he's paying for girls'-weekend tickets to Vegas...)

Yes, please let us know what happens! It would be another useful data point. If things go badly, I'd be happy to join the others in a campaign of pressure against Mileage Plus.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The idea about past missing rental/hotel stay credits has been a winner for some. Also it has been reported being offered a deal to re-instate miles if you do a flight within xx days -- ask about that.
There have been some threads with folks having similar problem that may be worth researching

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Mileage_Expiration_(UA)

BTW, Welcome to FT!, unitedmillionmiler - sorry for the lousy situation
The above is one of the most useful responses -- possibly THE most useful. (Especially given the number of off-topic responses on this thread!)

Anyhow, what a sad situation. The mileage expiration could have been reset to 18 months in the future by doing something as simple as donating just 1,000 miles to a charity, via United's website.

Under UA's current expiration rules (NOT necessarily the ones in effect months or years ago -- these rules change from time to time ), if more than 18 months elapse since you had ANY type of activity, earning OR redemption, your miles will expire. Earning and redemption activities are described, appropriately enough, under "Earn miles" and "Redeem miles" when you click the "Mileage Plus" tab at the top of www.united.com. The 1,000-mile points donation is a popular one, as it takes effect instantly and you're good to go for another 18 months. (Other activities take longer to post, so if you're near the expiration date, and the mileage or redemption doesn't post by that date, you have to call to get your miles reinstated, and therefore there's more of a hassle factor.)

Don't give up hope, but read the threads cited in WineCountryUA's post above, and perhaps you can negotiate something with UA.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K/GS, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
I can help

What timeframe do you need a hotel stay to have it credited? I have a bunch of rental cars receipts over the year and may have one that is not credited if you can use it.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Channel 9
I have an uncle in Nigeria who will give you his 1.1 million miles if you will help him first by giving him $2000 so he can get them out of the country...
If he waits just a few months, maybe he can use some of those million miles to fly the new IAD-LOS flight!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:34 am

I got an AVIS rental on 05302009 that wasn't creditied to any program. I sent the OP a PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AF plat. SPG Gold
Hello,

I think we had enough of " I am sorry about the loss, DAMN" now. This won't help. The best bet is to contact MP support and ask to be directed to the highest supervisor in charge, the other guys basically do not have the ability to do ANYTHING. If you put enough pressure on them ( Lawyer, I am going to travel with different Airlines the next F trips), that's what helped me out to get 200K miles back.

Hope I helped.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sunil
I got an AVIS rental on 05302009 that wasn't creditied to any program. I sent the OP a PM.
Typically the name on the activity and the name of the MP account need to match/be close to receive credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.