Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1.1 million miles expired 6 wks ago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Indeed, it's unfortunate, and I doubt you have any recourse at this point.

This happened TWICE to my old advisor at my university in Japan, a nice lady who happens to not religiously keep track of her MP account. Seeing as how busy she is managing as many as 30 international students a year, it's understandable that she would lose track of something like this. So, after the second time and no sympathy from UA, she just dumped UA and went to NH instead. Hope it was worth it for that nice revenue boost from expiring miles.

The 18-month policy is ridiculous and far too short, but it's also a loyalty program, so what can you do.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: United, SPG
I would check to see if you did any qualifying hotels or car or partner activity in the last few years that would make your miles not expire. That is what I had my friend do, we found a partner flight that we had taken and he got his miles back, so check for any activity that might count.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
If you throw your car rental activity around, see if you can go back through old receipts and see if maybe there was one you threw the FF number on United that never got posted. That might help your case.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:09 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Even with the exception and the fee, the limit on that, is 1 months. Back in the day, expired, meant expired. Here is the link to the program giving people a 2nd chance to unexpire miles within 1 yr. http://www.ualmiles.com/ReinstatementMiles.jsp

I can't seem to find the link from a yr ago when they announced the accounting boost for reduction in debt due to expiring miles, but this is the one from the 1st 1/4 of 2010...UA valued that at $64 million in credit back to the UA coffers. http://www.gadling.com/2010/04/29/un...hanks-to-your/ For 100k miles, your reinstatement fee would have been $1275.00. Almost makes one glad you can't resurrect them at that price ($0.0125/mile+a $25 flat fee.)

Award programs are big money. The debt added to the books is huge, and the value of expired miles is not chump change. Sorry to hear of your loss, but without ever truly being a frequent flier (but a member of a frequent flyer program) UA has very little incentive to want to re-incur the liability of your miles. I wish you luck, but think of that as (4) inexpensive nonrefundable tickets that wasn't cncld prior to the date of dptr. I've had other things in my life expire or go unused (even concert tickets) that have no residual value 1 day late. It hurts, but life goes on.

"Loyalty" to numerous airlines is tough. One isn't loyal to any, rather just an accumulator of benefits from each. It's tough to keep track of those points when you accrue them over years without any repeat business. My recommendation is to concentrate on 1 program in 1 alliance and keep track of it..."orphan miles" IMHO aren't anything to lose too much sleep over..I've been reset by Starwood and Hilton numerous times, have never redeemed an award, yet give them my numbers every time I stay with them. All I am is a victem of their marketing depts with no value to me...and I don't sweat it.

Last edited by fastair; Aug 2, 2010 at 11:09 pm
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
As a non-elite your access to saver awards would likely have been limited anyway. You're probably thinking of these 100k miles in the context of a different era. Likely the most you would've gotten would have been two standard domestic economy seats and a small handful of miles left over. In the grand scheme of things, you really haven't lost all that much.
On this I disagree with you. As I recent 1K guy, I never had a problem finding domestic saver award travel as a 2P or 1P. Not always the dates I wanted, but I have yet to waste miles on a standard award. Certainly a 1K has some extra Y awards sometimes, but a 1P or 2P pulls from the same as a general member.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:09 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Marriott, American
After your being a loyal cust. for so long,that alone,especially being a mil .miler would give you some weight.
Other than that,did you use anything related to UA that would/could count as UA miles(credit card(which is what I use at the present) car rentals,hotel stays or anything else UA recognizes as earning points.It could be eating out,sending flowers and a dozen other things.Go through your files to find ANYTHING that would have earned miles whether you signed up or not.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:36 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by brentski
After your being a loyal cust. for so long,that alone,especially being a mil .miler would give you some weight.
Other than that,did you use anything related to UA that would/could count as UA miles(credit card(which is what I use at the present) car rentals,hotel stays or anything else UA recognizes as earning points.It could be eating out,sending flowers and a dozen other things.Go through your files to find ANYTHING that would have earned miles whether you signed up or not.
??????

Guy isn't a million miler. Guy may have flown "almost 250,000 miles" in his life on UA over an extended period of time with just one ticket in the last 3 years (and only 606 miles at that, not that I think short flights are not profitable one...they can be very expensive.) He has stated that he has given his loyalty to companies other than UA (specifically WN and DL, which is tough in Chicago to give biz to DL until recently as they have been a tiny player,) and when he did fly UA in the past, it was for work (not a strong indicator of loyalty driven spending, rather need based.)

Not trying to impugn the guy, but where do we get a "long time loyal flyer" or a "million miler" from his self disclosure?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by mdc22474
I can only go back in history until 1/1/2009. Here are the only two items in my history:

2/1/2009 - 100,450 miles expire
3/24/2009 - 606 miles flown.

Therefore, I must not have had any activity from August 2007 until February 2009 (not really that long all things considered). I probably checked my mileage balance during that time. I obviously have not checked my balance since at least 2/1/09 or I would have seen the expiration.

The recent email I received is because the 3/24/09 miles are close to expiring. Not to beat a dead horse but it would have been nice to receive an email like that a year ago. (Remember the line in Dr. Strangelove where he yells out: "of course the whole point of a doomsday machine is lost if you KEEP IT A SECRET" )
As you said it, you are SOL, and we all feel bad for you.

The moral of the story: if the miles are important to you, check your acount regularly (like you do with your WN account). Checking the account once a year is not all that unreasonable.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
On this I disagree with you. As I recent 1K guy, I never had a problem finding domestic saver award travel as a 2P or 1P. Not always the dates I wanted, but I have yet to waste miles on a standard award. Certainly a 1K has some extra Y awards sometimes, but a 1P or 2P pulls from the same as a general member.
While I agree with you that 2P and 1P should be able to find domestic saver awards if they are very flexible, a GM like the "one who lost 100K of miles" does not have a great chance to get something useful, even if he is flexible (and you may be talking 3 stops to get from point A to point B if something would be offered at all).
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:21 am
In Memoriam

miles lost

I feel bad about the loss of miles, but how loyal is the OP if he hasn't flown UA in nearly 3 years. Not a bunch of sympathy here. Sorry.

wwbgd
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
While I agree with you that 2P and 1P should be able to find domestic saver awards if they are very flexible, a GM like the "one who lost 100K of miles" does not have a great chance to get something useful, even if he is flexible (and you may be talking 3 stops to get from point A to point B if something would be offered at all).
How do you figure? GM/3P/2P/1P all access the same inventory.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
OUCH. I've always told myself that if things change, and I move to a job that no longer requires any travel, I'll just have to go and get the Mileage Plus VISA so i never have to think about points expiration... then again... having SOME activity once every 18 months is no big deal...
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:25 am

Well I sent my humble "throw myself at the mercy of the court" note to United HQ via snail mail last week. We'll see if I hear anything.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:12 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mdc22474
Well I sent my humble "throw myself at the mercy of the court" note to United HQ via snail mail last week. We'll see if I hear anything.
There's nothing wrong with asking.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
How do you get a hotel stay or rental car posted to another persons account?

For example I found an old hotel stay that was never credited to me, I would like to help a friend out who has just lost his miles, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Neither of us are part of the hotels frequent traveler program.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.