Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

London to Glasgow: Train or air?

Old May 29, 2009, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Well, I've finally been able to reschedule my trip to London and extended the time in UK by four or so days. I'd like to see the west coast of Scotland and figure Glasgow is the logical start point. Would you take the overnight train (I assume there is one) or fly by BMI or another airline? Also, if you are aware of a tour company in Glasgow that travels to the isles and west coast, I'd like to know the name. Thanks a million. (By the way, those of you who gave great advice on how to cancel "uncancellable reservations" at the Park Lane, thanks....I called the hotel directly, told them why I had to cancel and they immediately cancelled the reservation without penalty.) Of course, I'll be staying there during this trip. Even the Royal Collection Office refunded my 65 pound charge for a private tour of Buckingham Palace. No wonder why I love visiting the U.K.!
Old May 29, 2009, 7:27 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There is a night train, although the day train can take as little as 4h10, which compares favourably with flying, when you factor in journey to/from airports, check-in time, etc, etc.

If you can find a decent fare, the train is, IMO, the way to go, particularly if you get an first class Advance fare. Virgin operate the fastest trains to Glasgow, which operate via the West Coast. They're new, tilting trains, but can feel a little cramped in standard class, hence the recommendation for first. National Express run the trains to Edinburgh, with some continuing to Glasgow, but this takes about an hour longer to reach Glasgow, although the trains are much more comfortable, and offer free wi-fi, etc.

Both journeys have their merits, particularly from the North of England onwards. Personally, I prefer the East Coast, but that's where I grew up, so I'm biased.

Train ticketing works like airline ticketing for such services, except that the inflexible, discount tickets are released no more than 12 weeks before travel (sometimes 10 or 11). So, ideally, you want to book as close to this time as possible for the best fares.

The night train is operated by Scotrail, and is timed for a decent night's sleep. It's compartments of 2 in standard class, or 1 in first, and you may have to share if you're alone in standard. It's comfortable enough (I'm 6' and can easily fit in) and the lounge car is nice, but there are no on-board showers, so you need to use the station ones.

Shout if you need any help with tickets - the FAQ should explain it all!
Old May 29, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Pjack, if you are already in central London there is little to choose between plane and train so far as time is concerned. Personally, I'd opt for train. Make your reservations three months in advance to get the cheapest advance fares.

If you wish to travel independently then I would recommend you take the Caledonian Sleeper train from London to Fort William and base yourself there as this will make best use of your time and get you to the heart of west highland coast. From FW you can work south to Oban and Isle of Mull, north to Isle of Skye, and East to Loch Ness and Inverness. Return from FW, Skye or Oban to Glasgow by bus would all take you along the shore of Loch Lomond. You can do this either by car hire or by Scottish Citylink coaches. Glasgow would be a little far from the west coast scenery I imagine you want to see to make it useful for daily tours.

If however you prefer to take advantage of organised tours rather than do it yourself then I would recommend you base yourself in Edinburgh rather than Glasgow as their are more tour choices. Rabbies Trail Burners do great small group tours in minibuses but if you prefer large coaches then you could try Grayline Scotland or Scotline Tours. I've tried all of them with guests and they all offer good service and value in my experience. All of these give you several options with tours to Loch Lomond and Stirling, Fort William, Glencoe and Inverness etc. They also offer overnight tours from Edinburgh to Skye.

Enjoy your stay. SF.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:54 pm

The East Coast trip (to Edinburgh) does take in York, Durham Cathedral and Castle, and the bridges of Newcastle as you cross the Tyne. Passing these last two may make the extra time worthwhile, if you are travelling by day.

I can, however, recommend the night train, which is a great way to travel, though I have only ever done it in first class. As noted above, there are no showers on board the train, so you need either to use the station showers or else wait until you get checked in to your hotel room.

Enjoy the trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.