Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to get out of Edinburgh airport and into the centre?

Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:35 am
COF
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm flying into Edinburgh in a couple of days time, and my flight arrives at 1pm. Assuming it arrives on time, how long do you think it will take to get into the centre of Edinburgh using the Airport bus service which I believe go every 10 minutes.

Also, I have hand luggage, so I won't need to wait for baggage reclaim, if it lands at 1pm, is it possible I could be in the centre for 1:40 or is that optimistic?

Cheers

PS: I don't really know where to post this, but as I'm flying with BA, I thought it may as well go here.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:42 am

1:40 with hand baggage only is probably just about do-able - it's about a 25 minute bus ride, and allowing 10 mins in case you miss one etc - though I'm sure the EDI locals will be along shortly with a traffic and travel report about the latest impact of the tram works in Edinburgh...

We'll move this over to UK & Ireland, where you'll find similar discussions and some cathartic stress relief threads about said tram works
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi COF,

Assuming you are landing on BA you will be parked at gates 14-19 which is a long walk along a corridor ( no travelators) to get landside for the bus ( say 5 mins plus frojm when you enter the building after leaving the BA flight by steps). This is worse than previously when the BA flights arrived at gates 10-11 ( 30 second walk)

Assumung no queues to buy the bus tickets or to get on the bus ( on occasion I have had to wait c 5mins after buying a ticket to get on the bus wihxch was there all the time due to a large number of pax ( they run every 10mins) with about 25mins journey time to Waverley station alothough there are some diversions around Haymarket due to tram works.

I would say 140pm is optimistic but with a you should be in around 2pm.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Unfortunately, Edinburgh is closed this year. Well, Princes Street is closed, Haymarket has a diversion, Western Corner has roadworks...

Normally 40 minutes would be fine, including waiting time for the bus. They go at least every 10 minutes, often more frequently. Now I would allow 50 minutes plus - and be aware that if your destination is anywhere near Princes Street you will be getting off the bus elsewhere or your further journey (whether by bus or on foot) may be impeded. But don't take this as gospel, you may have a good journey or you may get snarled up for way longer. It's so hard to predict.

If you arrive at a meeting late, just curse the trams and everyone will cluck with sympathy.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
It will take about 30 minutes by bus to Waverley. The Haymarket diversion is finished but Princes Street is closed so it will add about 2-3 minutes to your journey. At that time of the day buses leave every 8 minutes. It only costs 3.50 compared to about 15 to 20 by taxi and only takes about 5 minutes longer.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Well I have to say, I drove through Haymarket today, and it's still a mess (although I was going west, not east - I avoided going east by cutting over onto the A90 on the return), particularly since I come via Queen St (so have to do a massive detour even just to get to Haymarket). I'd go with those thinking getting in about 1350-1400 is more realistic. They've also started work on the A8 west of Haymarket, which means the road is down to one lane (i.e. no dedicated bus lane available).

I'd agree on cursing the trams if you are late, it's now the standard EDI excuse - they've removed the need entirely to converse with taxi drivers, as all you need to do is mention trams and the drivers will rant until you reach your destination
Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I'd agree on cursing the trams if you are late, it's now the standard EDI excuse - they've removed the need entirely to converse with taxi drivers, as all you need to do is mention trams and the drivers will rant until you reach your destination
I can't wait for the trams - my home is on one stop (in Leith), my office is at another (also in Leith) and both will take me straight to the airport.

Best of all, as I have dodgy eyesight and get free public transport in Scotland - it'll be free!

Bring on the trams
Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:41 pm

Ah, you're the single person in Leith who thinks the trams are a good idea?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Ah, you're the single person in Leith who thinks the trams are a good idea?
Yup - do you know how popular that makes me?

Oh - I'm also the who thinks that some of the moaning traders, such as the 'gas fire shop' who have been in the Scotsperson moaning about the trams causing them to shut down, are simply liars. Many of these businesses have been unsustainable for a long time and it's simply all coming to a head.

The trams aren't helping - but on the whole, they sure aren't the cause of many local traders' woes.

Probably just as well I drink near Abbeyhill rather than Leith, eh?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 3:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Okay! with the discussion moving onto trams (IMHO, the most civilised form of urban transport) and gasp, the prevailing views of Edinburgh taxi drivers, it is perhaps time to move this thread over to UK and Ireland.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Apr 27, 2009, 5:54 am

Based on my experience a week ago on a Sunday with the airport bus, you'll need at least 45 minutes from turning up at the bus stop to getting into central Edinburgh to allow for just missing a bus, getting stuck at Haymarket, getting stuck in Shandwick Place, getting stuck on George Street, getting stuck outside Waverley Station, getting stuck trying to do a 180 on the mini-roundabout the bus now has to circumnavigate to get to the final stop outside Waverley
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: HH Gold & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic
Resurrecting this old thread as I'm off to EDI next week for work. Can any natives (Jenbel ?) give an update on current journey times from the airport to the centre.

Not too fussed about the bus, will probably cab it, the upside of exes, unfortunately staying at the West End Travelodge, bleugh, the downside of having corporate booking accommodation.

Arriving 20.25 Tuesday night. Any info on times & possible fare appreciated.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Cavman
Resurrecting this old thread as I'm off to EDI next week for work. Can any natives (Jenbel ?) give an update on current journey times from the airport to the centre.

Not too fussed about the bus, will probably cab it, the upside of exes, unfortunately staying at the West End Travelodge, bleugh, the downside of having corporate booking accommodation.

Hi,

The West End Travelodge ( Belford Road I assume)?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...e&ved=0CAQQtgM

It is a bit awkward to get to especially by bus (the airport bus goes via Haymarket then Shandwick place and unless you have very little luggage it would be a 10-15min walk from Haymarket. A taxi from the airport should be less than 20.

Goolge has it here ( point A)

The Shandwick place travelodge would be nearer Princes Street.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: HH Gold & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The West End Travelodge ( Belford Road I assume)?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...e&ved=0CAQQtgM

It is a bit awkward to get to especially by bus (the airport bus goes via Haymarket then Shandwick place and unless you have very little luggage it would be a 10-15min walk from Haymarket. A taxi from the airport should be less than 20.

Goolge has it here ( point A)

The Shandwick place travelodge would be nearer Princes Street.

Regards

TBS
Thanks TBS, yes it is the Belford Road one, our offices are Ainslie Place so about 10-15 mins walk I think.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cavman

It's got a little bit better recently as the trams seem to have ground to a halt again. While there are still works around Gogarburn, they've become the norm, and Haymarket is free.

So I'd allow the standard 40 mins in from the airport on the airport bus. At that time of night, you should have a pretty quick run in. I bow to TBS' knowledge on taxi fares to that part of time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.