Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Renting a car in Dublin

Renting a car in Dublin

Old Feb 24, 09, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Renting a car in Dublin

Does anyone have or know of any rates for Dublin that include insurance? My credit card doesn't cover Ireland.

Avis is my company of choice (b/c I have to use them for work) and they're outrageous. The others (Ace, E-Z, etc) are ok, but the insurance makes it high.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Old Feb 25, 09, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Does anyone have or know of any rates for Dublin that include insurance? My credit card doesn't cover Ireland.

Avis is my company of choice (b/c I have to use them for work) and they're outrageous. The others (Ace, E-Z, etc) are ok, but the insurance makes it high.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Hertz, Budget, National all will quote rates with insurance. I suspect you will need to go to the Irish websites, ie. www.Hertz.ie and search there. Alternatively you can try, http://www.argus-rentacar.com/ ... or http://www.novacarhire.com/car-hire/...in_Airport.htm . Both are consolidators and quote prices in USD, EUR, GBP or other major currencies, with and without insurance.
Old Feb 25, 09, 4:55 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Sorry, this isn't insurance related but just wanted to pass along that I had a horrid experience last time in Dublin renting from Hertz.

Booked & confirmed a mid-sized online w/automatic transmission. Rent-a-car trailer was pretty full & the guy behind the counter really didn't want to give me an auto trans, he kept hounding me about taking a manual for about 20 min while continually going back to check the lot/keys/paperwork etc. Held my ground & he finally gave me keys to some uber-compact Hyundai POS. Went back to complain & he said that was a mid-size. Tired, jet-lagged, and just wanting to get to the hotel I just accepted it.

On the ring of Kerry the damned thing started to make an awful racket. Limped it back to a Hertz office in Killarney where a very nice agent swapped it out. I asked him to double check if the Hyundai was a mid-size & he just laughed. He corrected the billing but I was pretty steamed since he confirmed I had been lied to.

Anyway it was just a one-off experience, but that moved Hertz from most-preferred to most-avoided status for me and my company.
Old Feb 25, 09, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the suggestions! I noticed almost all US companies included insurance at their higher rates, except Avis!

Late last night, I found budget.ie had a great rate (including insurance) and was able to get 10% off with a code of "discovery". It's about half of the Budget.com rate. However, I'll keep watching those sites since it's not prepaid.

I've read many issues with rental companies at DUB... I hope I don't have similar issues to report in a few weeks.
Old Feb 25, 09, 5:44 pm

FWIW I rented from Enterprise at DUB last year and had no complaints. The only downside was that their office and lot is a few minutes' shuttle ride from the airport itself (I guess that's one way they drive down costs).
Old Feb 25, 09, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the suggestions! I noticed almost all US companies included insurance at their higher rates, except Avis!

Late last night, I found budget.ie had a great rate (including insurance) and was able to get 10% off with a code of "discovery". It's about half of the Budget.com rate. However, I'll keep watching those sites since it's not prepaid.

I've read many issues with rental companies at DUB... I hope I don't have similar issues to report in a few weeks.
I rent in DUB several times a year and, touchwood, never had any issues -- always with Hertz in recent years, before that Avis. I use a Diners Club card -- the only one that covers CDW or equivalent in Ireland. DC card is not much good overall, but, to me, it's worth the annual fee alone just for covering my rentals in DUB.
Old Feb 25, 09, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
I rent in DUB several times a year and, touchwood, never had any issues -- always with Hertz in recent years, before that Avis. I use a Diners Club card -- the only one that covers CDW or equivalent in Ireland. DC card is not much good overall, but, to me, it's worth the annual fee alone just for covering my rentals in DUB.
Sorry, I wasn't specific... the "discovery" code came from www.discoverireland.com, through a generic Google search! Even though it's a .com site, it just says for "Budget rentals" and doesn't exclude budget.ie reservations. And it worked!
Old Feb 26, 09, 4:03 am
Suspended

Sorry, I wasn't specific... the "discovery" code came from www.discoverireland.com, through a generic Google search! Even though it's a .com site, it just says for "Budget rentals" and doesn't exclude budget.ie reservations. And it worked!
Good to hear! Enjoy your trip .
Old Feb 26, 09, 5:22 am

If you haven't fixed anything yet, might I invite you to investigate the car rental website www.holidayautos.com, which I use regularly all over the UK and Europe and has never let me down yet ..............
Old Feb 26, 09, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
I'd recommend www.AutoEurope.com. They broker cars through the airport's main players and normally for Dublin do it through Murrays Europcar. Rates are very cheap, good cars (mostly) and they offer sometimes a refundable excess. The cars come with basic insurance but the desk will always get you to upgrade at so-many Euro per day. Getting a car through AutoEurope that includes a refundable excess is a much cheaper way of paying for this, the hire desk at the airport blocks an excess on your credit card, but in the event of a crash you can claim back the money the desk will take from AutoEurope. The rates from AutoEurope will tell you whether it includes this - if you see nothing it does not. Guess it depends how confident you feel driving in Ireland but we always do this!
Old Apr 1, 10, 7:09 am

Check out rental car Ireland price comparison.

Regards,
boyan
Old Apr 9, 10, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
For an upcoming trip to DUB, I have reserved a compact (Opel Astra) through Enterprise with automatic transmission for 8 days at a price of 157 Euro. I noticed that there isn't much of a price difference between automatic and manual cars. I booked while logged into my E-Plus account tied to my employer's agreement with Enterprise.

I have a Citi AAdvantage card. From calling Citi and MasterCard, I am covered for $50k in damages and is valid in the Republic of Ireland. The only documentation I can find to verify on Citi's website to print and take with me has a footnote that indicates some countries are exluded - but doesn't specify further.

I see in the fine print on my reservation that they require two forms of ID showing address. Do they really do that? I have to find a utility bill within 3 months and carry it with me?

From various websites, it sounds like renting the equivalent of a $15k American Saturn in Ireland is more like getting approved for a home mortgage than renting a car in the USA.
Old Apr 21, 10, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by MilesMonster View Post
I see in the fine print on my reservation that they require two forms of ID showing address. Do they really do that? I have to find a utility bill within 3 months and carry it with me?
I went in 2008 and rented a similar car from Enterprise at DUB. I don't recall what the fine print said, but they did not ask me for two forms of ID showing address. YMMV of course - maybe the situation has changed. Better safe than sorry.
Old Apr 22, 10, 6:35 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, ICHPlat, MarriottR, SPG Gold
see in the fine print on my reservation that they require two forms of ID showing address. Do they really do that? I have to find a utility bill within 3 months and carry it with me?
Wouldn't your driver's license and passport do for this if that is what they require? I don't ever recall being asked for two forms of ID from large car rental agencies. That only happened a couple of times when renting from a local car agency near Manchester... never Ireland.
Old Jan 19, 11, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
I've been searching for rental car insurance for an Ireland Avis reservation. It's not easy. My reservation is a tremendous deal, but Avis insurance more than triples my cost.

I've found that World MasterCard does offer coverage, but I don't have high enough income. Diner's Club may work if I refuse Avis insurance, but I have not confirmed this.

I just checked my AAdvantage Citi Amex and my particular card does insure my rental car if I refuse the "non-mandatory" Avis coverage. I think the feature my card has is "worldwide coverage" (key words).

WOO HOO....huge relief!

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Jan 19, 11 at 6:07 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: