Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting a car in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:59 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
I have hired cars a good few times at DUB with various companies (the international brands and one or two of the 'local' operations). The only company I refuse to use is Hertz. Fine in other countries, but Hertz DUB is shockingly poor... poor cars, very bad customer service, attitude, slow, poor return procedures requiring you wait outside alongside your car until they are ready to come out to you... once took an hour... My other experience with Hertz was that the guy made a horrible and very racist comment to me about the previous customer. I was really shocked.... and i don't shock easily.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
What a difference a year makes...

Originally Posted by MilesMonster
For an upcoming trip to DUB, I have reserved a compact (Opel Astra) through Enterprise with automatic transmission for 8 days at a price of 157 Euro. I noticed that there isn't much of a price difference between automatic and manual cars. I booked while logged into my E-Plus account tied to my employer's agreement with Enterprise.

I have a Citi AAdvantage card. From calling Citi and MasterCard, I am covered for $50k in damages and is valid in the Republic of Ireland. The only documentation I can find to verify on Citi's website to print and take with me has a footnote that indicates some countries are exluded - but doesn't specify further.

I see in the fine print on my reservation that they require two forms of ID showing address. Do they really do that? I have to find a utility bill within 3 months and carry it with me?

From various websites, it sounds like renting the equivalent of a $15k American Saturn in Ireland is more like getting approved for a home mortgage than renting a car in the USA.
So I had cancelled the rental above due to the Icelandic volcano quashing my trip to Ireland last year (whilst en-route). I'm rescheduling again one year later and the price with ERAC has jumped from 157 Euro to 321 Euro per week for the same car class/transmission. I can drive manual, but I'm leary about doing it with the gear shift and clutch being located opposite of what I'm accustomed and navigating a foreign land (on the opposite side of the road) simultaneously.

On holidaycars.com, the cheapest auto transmission rental is E451 for an economy (no A/C). AutoEurope.com seems to be the winner at E186 for a compact (with A/C).

I wish I could use National and some of these bloody free rental days over there!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:46 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'm leary about doing it with the gear shift and clutch being located opposite of what I'm accustomed and navigating a foreign land (on the opposite side of the road) simultaneously.
You know yourself better than I do, but I honestly have never found it at all difficult to driving a manual car on the other side of the road. The first time I did it, I was thrown into it ("oh, here's a car, follow me" - through Brussels) and it took just a couple of minutes to get used to it - the spatial awareness being the last thing to kick in.

However... The clutch is always on the left, surely?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
So I had cancelled the rental above due to the Icelandic volcano quashing my trip to Ireland last year (whilst en-route). I'm rescheduling again one year later and the price with ERAC has jumped from 157 Euro to 321 Euro per week for the same car class/transmission. I can drive manual, but I'm leary about doing it with the gear shift and clutch being located opposite of what I'm accustomed and navigating a foreign land (on the opposite side of the road) simultaneously.

On holidaycars.com, the cheapest auto transmission rental is E451 for an economy (no A/C). AutoEurope.com seems to be the winner at E186 for a compact (with A/C).

I wish I could use National and some of these bloody free rental days over there!
I don't know when you are going to Ireland, but I just checked early April (holiday time) and saw manual's listed for as low as $8 (US) a day up to $11/day with AutoEurope. You can rent from Hertz for as low as $15 a day. If you are worried about a manual drive, everything is in the right place - gas pedal on right, brake in the middle , clutch on the left. If you plan to do any traveling around Ireland, you will be glad you have that manual. Easier on petrol as well.

If you are adept at driving a manual over here, you will have no problem in Ireland.

P.S. I just use passport and license for ID.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
Originally Posted by stut
You know yourself better than I do, but I honestly have never found it at all difficult to driving a manual car on the other side of the road. The first time I did it, I was thrown into it ("oh, here's a car, follow me" - through Brussels) and it took just a couple of minutes to get used to it - the spatial awareness being the last thing to kick in.

However... The clutch is always on the left, surely?
Good point, the foot pedal arrangement doesn’t have to change regardless of which side the driver’s seat is located.

Originally Posted by miffSC
I don't know when you are going to Ireland, but I just checked early April (holiday time) and saw manual's listed for as low as $8 (US) a day up to $11/day with AutoEurope. You can rent from Hertz for as low as $15 a day. If you are worried about a manual drive, everything is in the right place - gas pedal on right, brake in the middle , clutch on the left. If you plan to do any traveling around Ireland, you will be glad you have that manual. Easier on petrol as well.

If you are adept at driving a manual over here, you will have no problem in Ireland.

P.S. I just use passport and license for ID.
I love driving manuals and miss owning one at times. You’ve both convinced me to give it a try over there in May. Plus it saves at least $100 on a weekly rental. I do plan to travel around the country. I'm still working out the plans, but roughly making a loop around the southern half (Dublin -> Cork -> Galway -> Dublin).
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, OnePass, SkyMiles, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Auto Europe is always a safe choice. My personal one to avoid - Dan Dooley. Got a car one time with a mirror taped onto the car - yes, taped on- took a picture, thank goodness. Got caught in a herd of cows on a back road and they knocked the tape loose so that the mirror dangled. Apparently, duct tape costs the equivalent of $500 in Ireland! Fortunately the credit card company back us. Dan Dooley - dishonest, never again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.