Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Weekend in Dublin

So I am going to be arriving in Dublin on Friday morning and leaving Sunday.

I know there are other threads on Dublin, but from what I could find most of them are "I have a 5 Hour layover" or people who have a couple weeks.

I have been snooping around flyer talk and other travel websites and started to compile a list of sights I would like to see. I am looking for feedback about if they are worthwhile along with anything I may have missed.

A little about myself, I am a single male in my early 20s. I like History and exploring things in general.

Dublin Castle and/or Malahide Castle-I have heard good things about both and need some advise)
Guinness Brewery
Leo Burdock's for some Fish and Chips
Chester Beatty Library
Kilmainham Gaol Historical Museum
See a show at Abbey Theatre then 'pub crawling'

thanks for the advise
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
So I am going to be arriving in Dublin on Friday morning and leaving Sunday.

I know there are other threads on Dublin, but from what I could find most of them are "I have a 5 Hour layover" or people who have a couple weeks.

I have been snooping around flyer talk and other travel websites and started to compile a list of sights I would like to see. I am looking for feedback about if they are worthwhile along with anything I may have missed.

A little about myself, I am a single male in my early 20s. I like History and exploring things in general.

Dublin Castle and/or Malahide Castle-I have heard good things about both and need some advise)
Guinness Brewery
Leo Burdock's for some Fish and Chips
Chester Beatty Library
Kilmainham Gaol Historical Museum
See a show at Abbey Theatre then 'pub crawling'

thanks for the advise
Hi Climbguy,
Dublin Castle is pleasant and in the city centre and worth a visit. The Chester Beatty Library is in the garden of Dublin Castle and is one of my favourite places (theres a very nice place in the chester beatty for lunch).
Trinity College is short stroll from Dublin Castle and apart from the buildings, the Book of Kells is here and well worth a visit. The bank of Ireland across the road is the old parliament building and is worth a wander through.

The Guinness brewery is a 15 minute walk from Dublin Castle. Visitors seem to love it but im a local so its not for me, please dont let me put you off though!

Kilmainham gaol is not far west of the city centre and is well worth a trip. The gaol itself has been the backdrop to many films. its steeped in history.
The gaol can be combined with the Royal Hospital Kilmainham which is home to the musueum of modern art.

The Musueum at Collins Barracks (close to Heuston station, if you take the red luas (tram)from the city centre its about 5 stops to 'museum'.), has an interesting eclectic collection of irish memorobilia and many historic items.

The Francis Bacon studio/flat exhibition is on at The Municipal Gallery on Parnell square (just north of O'Connell st.,city centre) close by is the writers museum and the James Joyce museum on North Great Georges st.

Personally I dont think a trip out to Malahide castle is worth it for a weekend trip to dublin, but should you decide to go there, take the 'dart' light rail from the city centre (Pearse or Connolly stations).

Wherever you choose, if you have the choice of using the 'dart' light rail or 'Luas' tram please do as traffic can take some pleasure away from your weekend.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and if I can help you in any way, please ask or PM me.
Paul
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:48 pm

I'm not a Dubliner, but on each of my visits to Dublin over the years that have been longer than one day I have been to the theatre (once to the Abbey Theatre) and on each occasion it was excellent: a very high standard indeed.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Realistically how much can I pack into two days?

Originally Posted by paul2
Hi Climbguy,
Dublin Castle is pleasant and in the city centre and worth a visit. The Chester Beatty Library is in the garden of Dublin Castle and is one of my favourite places (theres a very nice place in the chester beatty for lunch).
Trinity College is short stroll from Dublin Castle and apart from the buildings, the Book of Kells is here and well worth a visit. The bank of Ireland across the road is the old parliament building and is worth a wander through.

The Guinness brewery is a 15 minute walk from Dublin Castle. Visitors seem to love it but im a local so its not for me, please dont let me put you off though!

Kilmainham gaol is not far west of the city centre and is well worth a trip. The gaol itself has been the backdrop to many films. its steeped in history.
The gaol can be combined with the Royal Hospital Kilmainham which is home to the musueum of modern art.

The Musueum at Collins Barracks (close to Heuston station, if you take the red luas (tram)from the city centre its about 5 stops to 'museum'.), has an interesting eclectic collection of irish memorobilia and many historic items.

The Francis Bacon studio/flat exhibition is on at The Municipal Gallery on Parnell square (just north of O'Connell st.,city centre) close by is the writers museum and the James Joyce museum on North Great Georges st.

Personally I dont think a trip out to Malahide castle is worth it for a weekend trip to dublin, but should you decide to go there, take the 'dart' light rail from the city centre (Pearse or Connolly stations).

Wherever you choose, if you have the choice of using the 'dart' light rail or 'Luas' tram please do as traffic can take some pleasure away from your weekend.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and if I can help you in any way, please ask or PM me.
Paul
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Besides Guinness, the OLD JAMESON DISTILLERY has a fun tour. At the end of it, by all means volunteer for the tasting comparison.

Romelle
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:14 am

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
You could actually get most of it done in 2 days believe it or not! Dublin is a small enough city to be able to walk to most of the places you want!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Alright, my flight gets in around 9:30a

I think I am going to head straight for Dublin Castle
and while I am there visit the Chester Beatty
Library.

From there I'll walk to Trinity College and Brooks of
Kells and then head to the Old Parliament building.

After that I'll go to the Guinness house.

From what I gadge I can walk to everything, but when I go to Abbey House Theatre will I need to take a bus?

Should I expect this to take up most of my day? If so I'll head straight to the Abbey House theatre for a 7:30 show.

I have heard very good things about Leo Burdock's fish
& chips. can you please tell me where this is in
relation to everything else?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
After that I'll go to the Guinness house.

From what I gadge I can walk to everything, but when I go to Abbey House Theatre will I need to take a bus?

Should I expect this to take up most of my day? If so I'll head straight to the Abbey House theatre for a 7:30 show.

I have heard very good things about Leo Burdock's fish
& chips. can you please tell me where this is in
relation to everything else?
Guinness's is the Brewery, and there is a tower with a good view over the city. I'd prefer the distillery, and its closer to the Castle.
The Abbey Theatre is in Abbey Street (what a surprise) just off O'Connell Street, so walkable from the Castle.
The original Leo Burdocks is just around the corner from Dublin Castle, so you could end up backtracking, or going to the same area the next day. Expect to wait for the food, as it is freshly prepared.
Your name implies you are fairly fit, I think, so you won't need a bus. However, you could also do the city tour bus, which I'm told is good value. They go from O'Connell Street (or at least one does) and there is also the Viking Splash (adapts to a boat, and you might a)get wet, b) be asked to wear a Viking helmet c) be totally put off by the ott patter). Also based near the Castle.
There is a great tourist office in Andrew Street (converted church).
Oh! and near the castle is the tour going back through the centuries, behind Christchurch cathedral - very interesting, even if I can't remember its name.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

I have no problem walking, how long a walk is it from place to place. Also will I have a hard time asking for directions from people? I understand Dublin isn't London, but when I was in London I could never get good directions.

Originally Posted by measures
Guinness's is the Brewery, and there is a tower with a good view over the city. I'd prefer the distillery, and its closer to the Castle.
The Abbey Theatre is in Abbey Street (what a surprise) just off O'Connell Street, so walkable from the Castle.
The original Leo Burdocks is just around the corner from Dublin Castle, so you could end up backtracking, or going to the same area the next day. Expect to wait for the food, as it is freshly prepared.
Your name implies you are fairly fit, I think, so you won't need a bus. However, you could also do the city tour bus, which I'm told is good value. They go from O'Connell Street (or at least one does) and there is also the Viking Splash (adapts to a boat, and you might a)get wet, b) be asked to wear a Viking helmet c) be totally put off by the ott patter). Also based near the Castle.
There is a great tourist office in Andrew Street (converted church).
Oh! and near the castle is the tour going back through the centuries, behind Christchurch cathedral - very interesting, even if I can't remember its name.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Frommers web site has some decent Dublin maps on it:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...n/49_maps.html
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
The Dublin tourism site has a very nice interactive map, you can look up the various points of interest:

http://www.visitdublin.com/travel/Maps/dublin/
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
If you get someone local, you shouldn't have a problem getting directions. You might even get an offer to take you to your destination to ensure you get it right!
There is a little accordion map of the central area that won't blow away in the breeze. It opens up a bit like a purse. Available in Andrew Street tourist centre.
point-to-point, the longest distance we have described is Guinness Storehouse to the Abbey Theatre. Maybe 2Km. But most of the interest points are clustered near Dublin Castle. Then, Trinity College is on your way to O'Connell Street, provided you go via Dame Street and not the Quays (though that would take you past the Viking memorial outside the awful city council offices that site on the viking site). It wouldn't be a big diversion to get back to Trinity (200 m ?).
If you are on O'Connell Street, walk up to the North end, to see the Parnell monument and read the inscription, passing the GPO on your left, on the way (1916 proclamation site), and almost opposite that, James Joyce sculpture in the pedestrian area of Talbot Street (next one up from Abbey Street). Daniel O'Connell guards the south end (by the river), beside his bridge, supposed to be one of the widest (not longest, of course).
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:03 am

I went to Leo Burdocks back in November and was extremely disappointed in the food. It was not great at all, I had much better fish and chips in Galway. Maybe they were having an off day.

-Ken
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

It sounds like I have a full day in and around the Dublin Castle area, Guiness, the distillery, and Abbey Theatre. Does anyone have any recomendations for day two?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
It sounds like I have a full day in and around the Dublin Castle area, Guiness, the distillery, and Abbey Theatre. Does anyone have any recomendations for day two?
I've always enjoyed the National Museum, the gold collection is fantastic.

http://www.museum.ie/en/intro/archae...hy-museum.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.