Foreign visitor giving birth in the uk

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Foreign visitor giving birth in the uk

is it criminal

Last edited by grillade4u; Apr 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:32 pm

As this question is specific to the UK, please continue to follow the discussion in the UK and Ireland forum.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:59 pm

It is not criminal to give birth in the UK if you are foreign. Not even if you are in the UK illegally.

Could your rephrase your 2nd & 3rd sentences as answering them would require me to make several assumptions about your status in the UK
Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: CO Silver, DL
Originally Posted by alanR
Could your rephrase your 2nd & 3rd sentences as answering them would require me to make several assumptions about your status in the UK
x2
There may be an issue as regards your status - so your "residency" in Uk would be different is you were there legally vs not....you say you're a "foreign visitor". What renewal were you refused...Visa? And what do you mean by "false identity"?

Sorry for all the clarification questions and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by grillade4u
is it criminal to give birth in the UK when u cant fly back to your country for health reasons. though unplanned and paid for to the last penny. cos i was recently refused a renewal based on that.

what does false identity mean as i registered in my name and date of birth on MY PASSPORT
It's not illegal to give birth in the UK, whatever your immigration status. But you might be expected to reimburse the NHS if you receive NHS treatment.

What is your immigration status in the UK. And what renewal is it that you were recently refused, and what was the reason for the refusal?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Many people come to the UK from, ahem, dodgier countries to give birth using our free system ....

And your kid gets British citizenship as well. What more could you want?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
And your kid gets British citizenship as well. What more could you want?
Not true any more. Since the British Nationality Act 1981 came into force in 1983, British citizenship is only conferred by birth in the UK if at least one of the parents is settled in the UK (i.e. is a British citizen; is a non-British citizen with the right of abode in the UK; is an Irish citizen; has indefinite leave to remain in the UK; or is a person in the UK under EU rules who is a permanent resident of the UK (this last having been variously defined at different times but is now generally taken to be after five years' ordinary residence in the UK)).

Indeed, the principal reason for the change in the nationality laws in this respect was precisely because people were coming to the UK to give birth so that the baby would be a British citizen. Most other countries with a jus soli basis of citizenship have made similar changes (e.g. Australia in 1986, Ireland in 2004, New Zealand in 2005), and for the same reason. Just about the only "major" countries that still grant citizenship solely on the basis of birth in the territory are the USA and Canada.

Last edited by Christopher; Feb 15, 2009 at 1:16 pm
Old Feb 15, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
is it criminal to give birth in the UK when u cant fly back to your country for health reasons. though unplanned and paid for to the last penny. cos i was recently refused a renewal based on that.
I suspect the refusal to either renew or extend your UK entry Visa was due to the advanced stage of your pregnancy.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:21 pm

Can you tell us under which visa are you in the UK?

What reason did you give for trying to extend your visa?

Why do they think you have given a false identity?

How pregnant are you?

What is your nationality & country of normal residence?

What is the nationality & country of normal residence of the father?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Ok thank u

Last edited by grillade4u; Apr 12, 2012 at 2:01 pm Reason: security
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:43 am
Original Poster

i wa refused a

Last edited by grillade4u; Apr 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
ok Alan i was on a visit with a 6 months visa to the uk. 7 months pregnant, i developed complications and had to have my baby in the UK I paid £2,000 advance for delivery of my baby and paid the deposit of £108 on the day i was discharged , amounting to £2,108 i had to pay. i left for my country when my baby was ok to fly precisely 3 months 4days after my entry into the UK. My invoice shows my correct date of birth and names, but i was refused a renewal of my visa by the british commission in my country, saying i gave the hospital a false date of birth and names. But the invoice issued me by the hospital carrys the correct data. My refusal also says i gave birth in the uk when i stated i was going for site-seeing and shopping. i was shopping for the arrival of my baby!!!!!!!!!!
You gave birth in the UK, did you not? Regardless of whether or not you intended.

Does your invoice match your passport as far as name and DOB?

I don't like to say it but your story doesn't sound 100% genuine. If you were on a tourist visa and you have now had a child why do you want to return so quickly?

Can you tell us what country you were coming from? As you said that you visitied the "British Commission" can we assume you are coming from a Commonwealth country?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Look on the bright side - if your child is a boy and shows any early aptitude at either cricket, football or rugby you'll be back in Blighty in no time at all as we'll claim him as one of our own !
Old Feb 22, 2009, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Look on the bright side - if your child is a boy and shows any early aptitude at either cricket, football or rugby you'll be back in Blighty in no time at all as we'll claim him as one of our own !
Doesn't the fact he was born there remove that possibility.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:43 am

OP is it possible some thing silly like the way the date is written may have caused the mistake. I just had that with my chinese agent organizing our trip around China. In germany we write it as in day month year and it other places it is year month day and even another version it is month day year.

Just have a look to see that it wasn't screwed up in some sort of way unintentionally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.