Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Great Website for vistors to London/How do the Cabbies do it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia

Found a great site for downloadable maps for the city of london.
VisitLondon.com
There are dropdowns for every interest and if you click on a location/point of interest/landmark they provide a great map of the area around the chosen spot.

Now I am wondering-How in the world do the London taxi drivers ever learn all of the thousands of streets in London to pass the exam needed to get their permit?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Now I am wondering-How in the world do the London taxi drivers ever learn all of the thousands of streets in London to pass the exam needed to get their permit?
Practice, lots of practice with long hours spent on a moped driving around London
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
It's called "doing the knowledge", and it may take months or even years to be able to pass the exam to become a London cabbie.

I have an article at home from some travel magazine explaining the process in detail, and it's pretty interesting. I always ask the cabbie about it, and they're usually more than willing to tell you all about it.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by BigLar
It's called "doing the knowledge", and it may take months or even years to be able to pass the exam to become a London cabbie.

I have an article at home from some travel magazine explaining the process in detail, and it's pretty interesting. I always ask the cabbie about it, and they're usually more than willing to tell you all about it.
Indeed, and it's not uncommon to see several mopeds driving through the West End and the City on any given weekday night with road atlases propped up in front of the driver. All of these are Knowledge students.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by BigLar
I always ask the cabbie about it, and they're usually more than willing to tell you all about it.
Better than listening to their political beliefs or why Spurs are a bunch of wusses
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpar...hire/1412.aspx

It's not just any Knowledge, it's Public Carriage Office Knowledge. Fascinating stuff, with those on the mopeds really paying close attention to the routes.

Cabbies need tea and food to keep going through the day, so they have these where they can stop for a cuppa and a bacon butty. If you visit the V&A you'll not be able to miss the shelter as it sits in the middle of Thurloe Place.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trav+
...a cuppa and a bacon butty.
Mmmmm.

Bacon butty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.