Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JTE458
Funny the rules though, no jerseys or track suits, smart casual dress code. Seems like they take fan appearance and behavior seriously.
These are pretty standard for "hospitality" tickets ... you can't wear opposition/away jerseys in the home hospitality suite ... and be seated with home supporters ...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

It is illegal to resell football tickets in the UK, hence the lack of tickets.
And now after spending the $400 for the hospitality tickets, the game date was just moved and I am unable to attend. I was basically told I'm SOL on getting a refund and I can't sell the tickets either. So angry.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:20 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
And now after spending the $400 for the hospitality tickets, the game date was just moved and I am unable to attend. I was basically told I'm SOL on getting a refund and I can't sell the tickets either. So angry.
The likelihood is that viagogo had acquired these tickets somehow and were selling them on. With packages still available from the official outlet (Chelsea FC) they would have to had priced them lower as an encouragement to buy.

I would be astonished if viagogo, given their reputation around football in the UK (although it’s better elsewhere), were an authorised reseller. As such, if you enter into a contract with them expect to get burnt, I’m afraid. Had you bought direct from Chelsea you would most likely have got a refund. Viagogo won’t have any way of returning the tickets given the route they doubtless acquired them, so they before non-cancellable, non-returnable under their terms. It’s probably got nothing to do with Chelsea.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The likelihood is that viagogo had acquired these tickets somehow and were selling them on. With packages still available from the official outlet (Chelsea FC) they would have to had priced them lower as an encouragement to buy.

I would be astonished if viagogo, given their reputation around football in the UK (although it’s better elsewhere), were an authorised reseller. As such, if you enter into a contract with them expect to get burnt, I’m afraid. Had you bought direct from Chelsea you would most likely have got a refund. Viagogo won’t have any way of returning the tickets given the route they doubtless acquired them, so they before non-cancellable, non-returnable under their terms. It’s probably got nothing to do with Chelsea.
They are the only authorized reseller per Chelsea's ticket website, that's why I used them. They appear to only be able to sell hospitality packages. The one I purchased was about 40% off the list price Chelsea directly.

Last edited by JTE458; Apr 22, 2019 at 9:52 am Reason: Update content
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:33 pm
Community Director

They are the only authorized reseller per Chelsea's ticket website, that's why I used them. They appear to only be able to sell hospitality packages. The one I purchased was about 40% off the list price Chelsea directly.
Out of interest, where do you see that on Chelsea’s website, because I can only find direct sale information - not a single mention of viagogo?

Chelsea’s T&Cs for hospitality tickets specifically allow for a refund in the event of a date change - see https://hospitality.chelseafc.com/wp...helsea_TCs.pdf. That’s pretty standard throughout the whole football industry in the UK, whether for normal or hospitality tickets.

FIXTURE DATES
All fixture dates are subject to change. Should a fixture date change you will be notified and offered the opportunity to retain the reservation, change to an alternative fixture (subject to availability) or claim a full refund. Chelsea Football Club cannot reimburse any costs incurred as a result of such fixture date changes.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Out of interest, where do you see that on Chelseas website, because I can only find direct sale information - not a single mention of viagogo?

Chelseas T&Cs for hospitality tickets specifically allow for a refund in the event of a date change - see https://hospitality.chelseafc.com/wp...helsea_TCs.pdf. Thats pretty standard throughout the whole football industry in the UK, whether for normal or hospitality tickets.
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/tickets...rs---tout-info

This lists authorized resellers, of which Viagogo is one. I would not have bought from a site not listed as an authorized reseller. Got notice this morning of the change from Viagogo but the only option is to accept the new date for the tickets, no refunds or ability to resell. My two options I see at this point are try to speak to ticket office directly in London or to dispute with AMEX.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:26 am

UPDATE: After a call to Viagogo yesterday and several escalations on their part, I received a call this morning asking if I still wanted to cancel and it was then referred to another group. I just received an email my payment will be refunded. I'm shocked. I'm also very surprised by how good their customer service was. They were prompt with email responses and notifications and this was certainly a surprising result.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
UPDATE: After a call to Viagogo yesterday and several escalations on their part, I received a call this morning asking if I still wanted to cancel and it was then referred to another group. I just received an email my payment will be refunded. I'm shocked. I'm also very surprised by how good their customer service was. They were prompt with email responses and notifications and this was certainly a surprising result.
Theyre still the worst of the worst. Probably just realised they can sell it for more now.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:50 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Theyre still the worst of the worst. Probably just realised they can sell it for more now.
I checked earlier and they are selling Watford tickets for around 400. They have the face value as 225.

Pretty sure this is illegal.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

You may be right, I only paid 295 for the pair. These appear to be face value of 200+20% VAT direct from Chelsea.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:15 am
Community Director

I'm pleased this worked out for you, and if Chelsea list viagogo as an authorised agent then they should certainly take some responsibility for ensuring that the underlying T&Cs are generally adhered to (and moving a match date isn't exactly a small matter with little impact). It sounds like eventually they did so, although I'm equally inclined to subscribe to the view that viagogo will likely sell this on at a higher price now.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
So, heading back to London for a long weekend : Aug 31 - Sept. 2.

My Spurs are playing Arsenal again on Sept 1, but at Arsenal this time. My plan is to just head into the Tottenham area and find a pub to watch the match.
Anyone know of a favorite place? Or a better idea?

Would also be open to other football ideas for the remaining time. I looked into the U23, U18, and Womens Tottenham clubs, but nothing seems to be happening locally on my dates.
Any thoughts?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
So, heading back to London for a long weekend : Aug 31 - Sept. 2.

My Spurs are playing Arsenal again on Sept 1, but at Arsenal this time. My plan is to just head into the Tottenham area and find a pub to watch the match.
Anyone know of a favorite place? Or a better idea?
I don't know pubs around Tottenham but worth noting there are lots of pubs in the (much nicer) Islington area which are of course primarily Arsenal but still get plenty of Spurs supporters in them even for the derby - rivalries aren't as vicious as they used to be. However for a more favourable experience you would indeed be better off further north.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Would also be open to other football ideas for the remaining time. I looked into the U23, U18, and Womens Tottenham clubs, but nothing seems to be happening locally on my dates.
Any thoughts?
I wouldn't bother with U23 etc - you aren't going to get the same vibe. If you want something less 'top tier' then better to go to a Championship or lower league match where you're still watching the first team.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:35 pm

The One Tun (Farringdon) is a ‘Spurs pub’, they show matches and serve pretty decent food as well. If you’re in town on the Saturday, I’d go and watch Millwall-Hull (Championship) and hit Bermondsey for a ‘beer crawl’ straight after that.

G
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
The One Tun (Farringdon) is a Spurs pub, they show matches and serve pretty decent food as well. If youre in town on the Saturday, Id go and watch Millwall-Hull (Championship) and hit Bermondsey for a beer crawl straight after that.

G
This sounds like a good plan. Millwall-Hull looks like a 3PM start time, which would be perfect as I arrive early Saturday morning. Rest a bit at the hotel, then be good-to-go for the match and subsequent beer crawl. Good preamble for Spurs on Sunday.

Thanks for "The One Tun" recommendation. I will check it out.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.