Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jt82
I'd avoid getting tickets in the lowest tier behind either goal as the view is terrible
Good tip, thanks. I figure on blowing some money for this, so will aim for lower level, toward middle of the pitch.

Looks like Stubhub has pulled the fixture from their listings...mostly likely converting everything from listing at the new stadium to back at Wembley...
So will just keep checking to see when they start having an inventory of tickets again.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:49 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The best views are in the middle tier, really anywhere in the bowl, but the reality on this game is that you’ll probably have to take what you can get due to the demand for tickets!

I’d also go for upper above lower if you are fortunate enough to have a choice.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:53 am

Got to the end of the first post and was like, wait, visiting team is not in the Premier League! DOH 10 years old post!

I'm going in May and trying to get tix to a Chelsea game. Also incredibly difficult.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Note that secondary selling of EPL tickets is illegal if the transaction is in the UK (buyer or seller).

There are random checks at Man Utd that the ticket holder is actually the person who bought the ticket. Not sure if it's the same at other clubs.

Although... if a steward asked me to produce ID I'd politely tell him / her where to go.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Well, I decided to just open up the wallet and ensure this was all sorted to avoid any issues.

I purchased a premium package directly from Spurs, with lounge access and such. Don't have my exact ticket location yet, but supposedly an excellent seat awaits me for the North London Darby.

Many thanks for those posting info. Can't wait to get there now....

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Darby
Spelt “Derby”, pronounced “Darby”. In both the football and horse race sense.

Get that wrong and you will stand out!
Silver Fox and goodeats21 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Well, I decided to just open up the wallet and ensure this was all sorted to avoid any issues.

I purchased a premium package directly from Spurs, with lounge access and such. Don't have my exact ticket location yet, but supposedly an excellent seat awaits me for the North London Darby.

Many thanks for those posting info. Can't wait to get there now....

Cheers.
Enjoy the match. Lounge access should hopefully make it easier to get a drink at half time, plus give you somewhere pleasant to drink before and (possibly) after. I’ve never been to a football match but do know that there are strict rules around alcohol sales and consumption, nothing within sight of the pitch comes to mind. I’m not sure how this works in glass-fronted private boxes in football stadia. Anyway, have a great time and please report back.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by krispy84
I’m not sure how this works in glass-fronted private boxes in football stadia.
At Old Trafford, you can drink in the boxes, but only if you stand at the back and watch the TV

​​​​​
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
At Old Trafford, you can drink in the boxes, but only if you stand at the back and watch the TV

​​​​​
Having done it once at Smellhurst Park back when Wimbledon played there, a blind was brought down over the window and the fridges were locked!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, just reporting back.

Had a great time! Travel went without a hitch, early check-in at the hotel (Marriott London Regent's Park - nice service all around), and arrived at Wembley in plenty of time to enjoy the lounge and scope things out a bit.

All-in-all, was glad to have paid the extra for the official Premium package. Had a very nice aisle seat in section 209, and had a great view of Harry taking the penalty shot for the equalizer.
Would have liked a better outcome (1-1 Draw), but it was an exciting time anyway.
It was a more sedate area of the stands, which was probably best for a first time. Still great atmosphere, but not rocking like some of the other sections. Did meet some great locals, and didn't set myself off too much as a tourist...I think. LOL

I will certainly be back, but will likely do things a bit different now that I have seen one in person. Will want to check out the new Stadium, and will likely get a much less expensive ticket.

Thanks to all who provided info.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for reporting back.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:23 am

It was a more sedate area of the stands, which was probably best for a first time. Still great atmosphere, but not rocking like some of the other sections. Did meet some great locals, and didn't set myself off too much as a tourist...I think. LOL
I think Premier League match-attending fans (and perhaps particularly in London) are actually quite used to meeting 'fans from afar' nowadays.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:22 pm

I bit the bullet today and bought hospitality for a Chelsea match in a few weeks. Direct from club they were about $400. I saw their "authorized resellers" one of which was Viagogo. They seem to only sell hospitality tickets, not regular. Found 2 for $195 each after fees. Crap seats way up in corner but will be in the building at least. Funny the rules though, no jerseys or track suits, smart casual dress code. Seems like they take fan appearance and behavior seriously.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by JTE458
I bit the bullet today and bought hospitality for a Chelsea match in a few weeks. Direct from club they were about $400. I saw their "authorized resellers" one of which was Viagogo. They seem to only sell hospitality tickets, not regular. Found 2 for $195 each after fees. Crap seats way up in corner but will be in the building at least. Funny the rules though, no jerseys or track suits, smart casual dress code. Seems like they take fan appearance and behavior seriously.
It is illegal to resell football tickets in the UK, hence the lack of tickets.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
It is illegal to resell football tickets in the UK, hence the lack of tickets.
Although don't be in any doubt that it happens nonetheless, just not openly on online ticket resale platforms!

Cash in hand from a tout outside the ground. Obviously, buyer beware!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.