Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
All I can advise is that it's never Tottenham Hotspurs...

...nor would you ever find a Hotspur pub, although you might find a Spurs one.

Other than that, good luck.
LOL Thanks. So it is Hotspur singular, but Spurs as a plural? Or only in relation to Pubs?
Bit of complexity to this....

Any suggestions for a fun Spurs pub?

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
That's a huge rivalry game, the North London derby. I'm surprised that tickets aren't more expensive on Stubhub or Fanpass. I'd be comfortable buying from either, probably more so from Stubhub than Fanpass, although Fanpass delivered tickets as promised for a game I attended in December at Anfield.

https://www.stubhub.com/tottenham-ho...sort=price+asc
https://www.fanpass.co.uk/tickets-to...r-arsenal-2799
Thanks. I had checked stubhub, and am aware of the rivalry, so the prices didn't shock me. LOL
Did you have your tickets delivered to the USA, or were you already overseas?

The Hotspur website has warnings about buy from these vendors, but I guess there is usually no problems? My biggest qualm is what will happen if the new stadium is not open yet, and I have to do some type of exchange or something...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
So it is Hotspur singular, but Spurs as a plural?
Correct, but never Hotspur on its own. So either 'Spurs' or 'Tottenham' informally, and 'Tottenham Hotspur' formally.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
The Hotspur website has warnings about buy from these vendors, but I guess there is usually no problems? My biggest qualm is what will happen if the new stadium is not open yet, and I have to do some type of exchange or something...
My tickets were delivered to my hotel via UPS a few days before the match. Another common means of delivery would be in person on the day of the match.

The news I read this week suggests the chance of the match on March 2 being played at the new White Hart Lane is nil. I think you can be highly confident of it being played at Wembley. I'd certainly expect a few weeks of advance notice for the first game at the new stadium.

With Stubhub, in particular (good "FanProtect" guarantee), and paid with a major credit card, I think you should have high confidence you'll wind up with a ticket if you purchase one. You may not be able to nail down a row and seat number or even a specific section in advance, but I think you'll get in the door. And going to the game in person -- especially that game -- beats the heck out of watching it at a pub.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Feb 4, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
My tickets were delivered to my hotel via UPS a few days before the match. Another common means of delivery would be in person on the day of the match.

The news I read this week suggests the chance of the match on March 2 being played at the new White Hart Lane is nil. I think you can be highly confident of it being played at Wembley. I'd certainly expect a few weeks of advance notice for the first game at the new stadium.

With Stubhub, in particular (good "FanProtect" guarantee), and paid with a major credit card, I think you should have high confidence you'll wind up with a ticket if you purchase one. You may not be able to nail down a row and seat number or even a specific section in advance, but I think you'll get in the door. And going to the game in person -- especially that game -- beats the heck out of watching it at a pub.
Thanks for all your helpful info. Agree, if at all possible, I want to see the match in person, which is why I am trying to get something sorted now.

Stubhub is showing the match taking place at the new stadium, so I wonder how the tickets will be handled when it needs to be at Wembley?
I have been searching for news on the stadium opening, but haven't found anything definitive. I might wait a bit to see if something is announced and it switches over...
Upcoming Leicester and Dortmund matches on Stubhub are shown as Wembley.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:36 pm

Took me a while to notice the thread was started 10 years ago... I was trying to recall a current Fulham striker from the US.. then I figured out we were talking 2008, so our old friend Clint Dempsey! Saw Fulham at home back in September, oddly on Clint Dempsey day. Saw Arsenal vs. Everton the following day at Emirates. We got tickets through a friend in London so no experience with Stubhub.

Hope it works out for you and you get to the game!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:59 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’ve no experience of Stubhub, but I certainly wouldn’t trust anything a third party website said compared to Tottenham’s own website and the advice here from football supporters.

There is less than 1% chance of that game being played at the new White Hart Lane - it’s incredibly high profile and there’s zero chance of the police allowing it to be used as some sort of testing ground when it comes to the logistics of the game. They’d likely block the issuing of the safety certificate for the new ground if it came to it.

So, if you manage to get a ticket it’ll be at Wembley, where there are currently capacity restrictions for Spurs’ games - although Spurs have been trying to get the limit upped. They won’t issue tickets for one ground and then swap them for another - the Premier League wouldn’t countenance that (they occasionally have moments of sanity), and very soon those tickets are going to have to go on sale to visiting fans so that will really lock the venue in.

I would say that if you really want to experience the true nature of British football, you won’t find it in the Premier League at Wembley. Don’t be too taken in by the hype - in London you’ll likely find just as much atmosphere, and a more healthy dose of realism and humour, on the terraces at Griffin Park, Brentford or other Football League grounds.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I’ve no experience of Stubhub, but I certainly wouldn’t trust anything a third party website said compared to Tottenham’s own website and the advice here from football supporters.

There is less than 1% chance of that game being played at the new White Hart Lane - it’s incredibly high profile and there’s zero chance of the police allowing it to be used as some sort of testing ground when it comes to the logistics of the game. They’d likely block the issuing of the safety certificate for the new ground if it came to it.

So, if you manage to get a ticket it’ll be at Wembley, where there are currently capacity restrictions for Spurs’ games - although Spurs have been trying to get the limit upped. They won’t issue tickets for one ground and then swap them for another - the Premier League wouldn’t countenance that (they occasionally have moments of sanity), and very soon those tickets are going to have to go on sale to visiting fans so that will really lock the venue in.

I would say that if you really want to experience the true nature of British football, you won’t find it in the Premier League at Wembley. Don’t be too taken in by the hype - in London you’ll likely find just as much atmosphere, and a more healthy dose of realism and humour, on the terraces at Griffin Park, Brentford or other Football League grounds.
Thanks for the info. Agree that having the new White Hart Lane stadium opening be such a rivalry is very unlikely. I will be checking often to see if they announce a firm decision to play at Wembley. The logistics of ticket management must be crazy with the stadium uncertainty.

I have been following the Spurs for a couple years from home in the US, so my first preference would be to see them...even at Wembley.
If any locals have suggestions other than Stubhub, etc...would be great to hear them.

Would be very open to other football experiences on subsequent trips, but seeing my first match...would be great to see Spurs vrs Gunners.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by COOLIO
w@nker' which is another word for someone who likes to touch themselves
There's an appendix to In A Sunburned Country on the 2000 Sydney Olympics where the author mentions an American sports writer covering the Games who states in a column that he doesn't know what "w@nk3r" means and surmises it's synonymous with "jerk," which the author states really isn't that far off from the true meaning.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So, if you manage to get a ticket it’ll be at Wembley, where there are currently capacity restrictions for Spurs’ games - although Spurs have been trying to get the limit upped.
I believe it's agreed on a match by match basis and I can't believe that they wouldn't go for the full 90k for the NLD
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold

I have been following the Spurs ...
Unlike many US sports teams e.g. "the (San Antonio) Spurs" there is no definite article in English football/soccer teams ... you either follow "Spurs" or you don't.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:04 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jt82
I believe it's agreed on a match by match basis and I can't believe that they wouldn't go for the full 90k for the NLD
Although my understanding is that every time they ask, the request is refused! There clearly have already been Wembley matches against Arsenal, so there ought to be a clue in historic attendances as to what will happen - last season was 83k.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Unlike many US sports teams e.g. "the (San Antonio) Spurs" there is no definite article in English football/soccer teams ... you either follow "Spurs" or you don't.
True, but with some exceptions. So you could potentially follow the Arsenal, but you’d never follow the Spurs.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:06 am

Would be very open to other football experiences on subsequent trips
As a tip for your subsequent trips to the UK, Millwall (very handy if you'll be visiting London again)-Leeds, Blackburn-Burnley and Derby-Forest amongst others should all provide you with plenty of entertainment both inside and outside the ground.

G
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
True, but with some exceptions. So you could potentially follow the Arsenal, but you’d never follow the Spurs.
Quite a bit of language nuance to this...
So, I have the flight and hotel sorted, now just need to pull the trigger on a ticket for the "fixture"... (Learning...)

Big recent update: Announced that the fixture will be played at Wembley, and the stadium will be open at full capacity.....
Stubhub still shows it being played at the new stadium. So do I just grab a ticket now and trust that it will translate to a comparable ticket at Wembley?
Any important info on which part of the stadium to sit in? I am sure there are sections that are more rowdy then others, and I would not like to end up in a section of mostly Gunner fans...

Seems the prices are going up, so any quick insight is appreciated?

Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:21 am

I'd avoid getting tickets in the lowest tier behind either goal as the view is terrible
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.