Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Tolls on Dublin's M50 - foreign plate question

Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SMWS

I drove southbound around the M50 on Saturday in a car with a UK plate. Through one thing and another I neglected to pay the toll online that day.

Does anyone know what happens now? Do I get a letter to the address that the UK DVLA hold for me (which I might not be at for a few weeks)? Am I given the chance to pay the basic €3 toll, or am I automatically hit for a penalty? And as an academic aside, do the data protection laws in each country allow the sharing of cross border information like this?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Penalties
To avoid any penalties, we strongly recommend that you register for an electronic tag or a video (number plate) account. These are the cheapest and easiest ways to pay the toll.

For unregistered users, if you don't pay your toll before 8pm on the day following your journey, a penalty of €3 is added to the outstanding amount.

If you fail to pay the toll and this €3 penalty within the next 14 days, a further penalty of €40 will be levied.

Failure to pay the full amount due within a further 56 days will result in an additional €100 penalty. Then if you still have not paid the total amount due, legal proceedings will be initiated.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 4:23 pm

They can trace UK registrations, as there is an EU agreement to follow up such things as parking tickets etc. It is not clear that they would bother for one transit though. The system has had a lot of problems, tags are not being read, number plates are being misread and so on. There is a huge backlog of bills to send out. The chances of anything being done about an errant tourist at this point seem small.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
But is it worth risking EUR100? Just pay the EUR6 and be done with it.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:30 am
Original Poster

The only problem I had with paying up asap, is that I did not know I had to. I could not see any signs by the road advising me how to pay, or that I *had* to pay by that night. Now I'm sure they are there, but I genuinely didn't see any.

By the time I asked someone, and was able to find the website, the system would not allow me to enter a date earlier than that date itself. So, here I am, patiently waiting an instruction to pay the original toll, not a penalty.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Don't pay, whilst I don't have any experience with Ireland, I very rarely bother to pay the congestion charge in London and have never had a letter through. One of my friends who was driving every day finally got a charge after a few months in sent to his place in Germany.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:06 pm

anyone know how this gets billed to car rentals?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eireman
anyone know how this gets billed to car rentals?
the car rentals have you details dont they...
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by kaka
the car rentals have you details dont they...
of course they do , the point is do they charge it at cost oro do they impose a "service fee" on top of it?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

of course they do , the point is do they charge it at cost oro do they impose a "service fee" on top of it?
Will vary from company to company but I would imagine that all of them have provisions in the contract for charging you an "admin fee" on top of the penalty itself. check the small print.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
My experience with Budget was that they only charged €3. This was done at time of rental as I told them I'd be passing thru the toll once.

With Hertz I told them when I left it back. They told me the €6 for two transits would be subsequently charged to my credit card. Nothing yet but it was only last week. Will post if I get hit with a "service" fee.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
Just back from the in-laws in DUB, at EuropeCar they charge a 15EUR admin fee on top of the toll if you don't pay it. Have to say that I had to ask at the desk what the deal was with the toll (apparently at DUB there's a machine you can pre-pay with in the arrivals area but I didn't see it). The cars don't have the transponders in so it's up to you to pay by 8pm the following day.

http://www.eflow.ie

Another example of rip-off Ireland if you ask me, poor signs all in English so if you're non-english speaking you're stuffed. Having said that friends have said that the removal of the toll booths save them 45mins a day on the M50 now...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:19 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by mattk
...friends have said that the removal of the toll booths save them 45mins a day on the M50 now...
And the rest... more expensive - but far better for once!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 7:17 am
Original Poster

I still haven't heard anything from the Powers That Be about this.....
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:36 pm

The reasonable thing would be for Dublin based rental cars to have an electronic tag and some straightforward electronic means of paying for this without admin fees and the like. Then visitors wouldn't have to worry about what to do, although they would have to pay the odd toll.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.