Wiki Posts
Search

Canada to London to IRL?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa co
Canada to London to IRL?

This is probably an obvious question to some of our more frequent trans-Atlantic travelers, but hey, that's what a talkboard is for.

My wife and I visited Ireland four years ago, loved it and want very much to return. We are hoping to take one or both of our sons this time, too. Unfortunately, increasing fuel costs and the fall of the value of the dollar will make this trip much more expensive. We are somewhat resigned to this but our income is also less than it was so it will be especially tough. The best airfare I can come up with is more than double what we paid in 2004.

In trying to come up with other options, I came across a Canadian site that had trips from Fredricton or Halifax to London/Gatwick for 149 CDN each way (I assume before taxes). Ryanair lists flights LGW/SNN for 2.99 GBP each way. Assuming I can get to Fredricton, does anyone see anything wrong with this as a way to save money? I figure if taxes bring the whole thing up to $500, that's still a savings of $200 pp.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
I am assuming it is ZOOM you have found tye cheap flights with. Have you looked up Air Transat too?

Things to remember about doing the route you suggested is that you will have to clear customs and immigration and baggage claim when you arrive at LGW and then leave the security area as Ryanair dont do airside check in. So you would then have to go through airport security etc at LGW. Depending on when you are flying LGW security can get badly snarled up and you will need to give yourself plenty of time.

Also Ryanair has a much smaller hold luggage weight allowance, and you are only allowed one carry on per person with no additional personal items included. There is no bend in these rules with them. A gram over and you are paying a overweight fee. Also be aware that Ryanair will load you up with charges ontop of your flight for things like hold luggage, credit card booking fee and airport check in. So the price might still jump.

So basically give yourself plenty of time to connect and pack light.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:39 am

AFAIK, Ryanair will allow you 15kg per person. You can't pool the weight allowances either.

4 adults return from LGW-SNN with one bag each, airport checkin, no priority boarding and no travel insurance on "£2.99" flights both ways will end up costing you about £260 all-in round trip.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IRLConor
4 adults return from LGW-SNN with one bag each, airport checkin, no priority boarding and no travel insurance on "£2.99" flights both ways will end up costing you about £260 all-in round trip.
That's true for the £2.99 (and higher) fares. Try to find the £0.01 fares.

To keep everyone on their toes, 'taxes and charges' element on Ryanair tend to change from flight to flight. For each one-way flight you generally get

£0.01 including taxes and charges (rare, but well publicised)
£0.01 plus £9.99 taxes and charges
£2.99 or higher plus normal taxes and charges (ie somewhere between £10 and £30 ish, depending on the route)

Credit card charges, baggage check, airport check-in, priority boarding, insurance etc are all in addition to this.

If you can find the £0.01 + £9.99 flights (usually at less popular times) as opposed to the £2.99 ones, you'll save £100 on that family of four.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Zoom and Transat fly non-stop from Toronto to Belfast. This might be a better option. You would not have to mess with London and it might come out the same cost wise.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: PC Spire Amb, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, Cathay Gold
The other alternative if your flying from Halifax is to fly to glasgow thus avoiding London and catch an aer lingus flight to Dublin. Flights to Dublin fm Glasgow start at one pound. Cheap in any currency!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Originally Posted by golsquare
Flights to Dublin fm Glasgow start at one pound. Cheap in any currency!
Not necessarily when you add on taxes, etc...

Canadian Affair resell Transat (amongst others) - I've been lucky with getting some instant purchase fares with very good reductions by waiting until about 6-8 weeks before departure. I'd also suggest Skyscanner for getting a feel for prices of connecting flights quickly and easily (that include taxes etc)

Another thing to consider: if, for some reason, your TATL flight is delayed and you miss your LCC flight, you're probably not going to get much sympathy from them and will have to buy another ticket - you may have more luck with one of the bigger carriers, even on a low fare. YMMV, but I had good fortune the one time I've been caught out in this way...
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
Another thing to consider: if, for some reason, your TATL flight is delayed and you miss your LCC flight, you're probably not going to get much sympathy from them and will have to buy another ticket - you may have more luck with one of the bigger carriers, even on a low fare. YMMV, but I had good fortune the one time I've been caught out in this way...
I was waiting for someone else to mention this. Not only will they most likely not care (and make you buy a full-fare walkup) but they'll cut you off if you have not checked in 60 minutes before boarding (even if their check-in lines are long).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.