Reload this Page >

Canal/narrowboatd rental?

Canal/narrowboatd rental?

Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Canal/narrowboat rental?

Has anyone rented a canal/narrowboat to tour the canals of the midlands? Looking for any recommendations and what to watch out for.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 17, 2008 at 12:29 pm
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Living near the canals in Birmingham, I seems like I see more and more people pottering around on rented boats!

I have not tried it myself yet, but British Waterways who are responsible for all of the UK's canals have a dedicated leisure website which might be a good place to start for inspiration: http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating

I do remember many years ago going to some sort of canal museum in Stoke Bruerne in Northamptonshire which seemed pretty famous!
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Exec, BMI DC
Hoseasons

My Family have always used Hoseason's

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/Availabil...?HolidayType=3

Nice people to deal with and great boats....

Cheers

Benjurs
Old Mar 18, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: BA
We did this with a group from university many years ago. Great fun. We drove at night (not allowed), got water in the boat more than once, went aground, jammed under bridges, upset the lock keepers, etc.

Unfortunately in some of the inner city areas you can get pelted by the kids from the neighbourhood.

I believe Hoseasons is a booking agency (like Best Western for hotels) rather than owning and operating the boats, which is still pretty much a family-owned scale of business.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Booked direct with a small outfit (www.kateboats.co.uk) for a very reasonable rate of GBP 290 for 4 nights.

hireboat.com lists a myriad of boats from many suppliers so it's a good place to start looking for availability.

If anyone has any future inquiries, please add to this thread.

Originally Posted by WHBM
Unfortunately in some of the inner city areas you can get pelted by the kids from the neighbourhood.
I was actually worried about that issue of yobs and other ASBO earners as well as safety overnight and while away from the boat. However, our tentative route is from near Leamington Spa to Oxford (and back) that seems to avoid cities of any size.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:33 am

Programs: A3 *Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Booked direct with a small outfit (www.kateboats.co.uk) for a very reasonable rate of GBP 290 for 4 nights.
Before graduating to our own boat we used Black Prince who have smart, nicely outfitted boats - though not cheap.

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I was actually worried about that issue of yobs and other ASBO earners as well as safety overnight and while away from the boat. However, our tentative route is from near Leamington Spa to Oxford (and back) that seems to avoid cities of any size.
Sadly these toerags can appear anywhere on the system - even miles from "civilization". I think we've been pretty fortunate in avoiding any face-to-face confrontations... although we were cut adrift one night

The "bandits" section of Narrowboat World is a good place to keep an eye on - in case there is a particular hotspot on your route presently. But it's probably not necessary to worry about this side of things.

m.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Qantas Gold, HHonors Gold, A|Club Gold, Marriott Silver, ICHG Gold
I have had great experience in the past with Alvechurch Boat Centres (www.alvechurch.co.uk) - my family has rented from 3 of their bases (Alvechurch itself for the Stourport ring through Bírmingham, Anderton for the Cheshire ring through Manchester, and Gayton for the Grand Union ring). We were using their top-of-the-line 5 key boats (microwave and mini-dishwasher on board!) and had a great time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.