Sleeping Aids which keep you asleep rather than get you to sleep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping Aids which keep you asleep rather than get you to sleep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by themanwithno
I looked at this but decided against it because it is contradicted for use as a sleep aid while flying (from http://www.drugs.com/ambien.html)
"Avoid taking Ambien during travel, such as to sleep on an airplane. You may be awakened before the effects of the medication have worn off. Amnesia (forgetfulness) is more common if you do not get a full 7 to 8 hours of sleep after taking Ambien."

"What are the possible side effects of Ambien?
* unusual risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions...;
* aggression,...;
* hallucinations, confusion ... .
"

none of which sound like a good plan on a plane these days -
Combine it with a few G&Ts and prepare for some fun!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:21 am

The only one that works with me is melatonin. The real sleeping pills do terrible things to me, wild nightmares and hellish effects when I'm dragged out of deepest sleep by the 40 minute warning. But melatonin is only really useful on the east-bound jetlag flights.

There's no reliable pill that I know of to take on north-south flights or westwards, or any flight less than 8 hours (including easterlies) to avoid that terrible being-woken-from-deep-sleep feeling.

I find the absolute best approach is
- heavy pasta meal just before take-off
- about 3/4 bottle red wine (adjust for body size, alco tolerance...), sufficient for drowsiness but insufficient for drunkness or dehydration
- then 1/2 litre of water (no more or you'll be up all night!) just before boarding
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by convair
- about 3/4 bottle red wine (adjust for body size, alco tolerance...), sufficient for drowsiness but insufficient for drunkness or dehydration
- then 1/2 litre of water (no more or you'll be up all night!) just before boarding
Try the 2 litres of wine and then 2 litres of water approach, you'll sleep like a log and, as long as the flight's long enough, the seat will be dry by the time you land!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite for Life, Hilton Diamond, United Silver
Phenergan

OK, so I am someone who suffers terribly with lack of sleep both at home, on trips and especially on long haul flights. Whenever I am in china I buy either Zopiclone, Zolpiden, Ambien, Stilnox, etc. they basically all do the same thing. However the OP asked for something that can be purchased over the counter. Try Phenergan it is the ingredient in drowsy cough medecines that makes you drowsy. It is available over the counter however you may have to persuade the pharmacis you need it, it is kept behind the counter. Hope this helps, does me the world of good.

For more info...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenergan
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:50 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
All I know is I've been back in Europe for like a week now and STILL can't crack the nine hour timezone lag and right now looking at the pile of work on my desk, I'd seriously consider giving up my little finger to be able to go to sleep at midnight tonight, not wake up at 2:45, yes be able to sleep through until 8 am tomorrow and not have to take a nap tomorrow afternoon thus perpetuating the madness. Ain't never had it this bad before and I don't know where I went wrong!

And grrr I don't even have any Sapphire in the house!

Last edited by vla; Aug 23, 2007 at 6:31 pm Reason: 0230 actually grrr
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I have a mixed experience of this drug. Helps you stay asleep but not great at getting you to sleep. My best experience is at home, but in the air I have not found it to be that great whereas some of those benzos are pretty good at kicking the whole process off in the first place. That said, I would never mix nor have I ever tried.
Haven't tried the CR, but with the regular Ambien/Stilnox, I find that if you take it on a full stomach it takes longer to kick in (I think this is actually in the pamphlet that comes with it from my pharmacy). Of course on an airplane, we're usually taking it after eating the meal. So just something to keep in mind.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:05 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by bedasaka
Whenever I am in china I buy either Zopiclone, Zolpiden, Ambien, Stilnox, etc. they basically all do the same thing.
I am sure you do, but just in case other pick up this thread in the future, a lot of care needs to be taken buying any meds in China. A quick Google ("fake medication china") will give some idea of the scale of the problem.

Lady Phreegreens is a chief hospital nurse, I sometimes have a flick though her publications and there have been a number of articles recently about fake meds coming out of China and into legitimate supply chains.

I am not in "you shouldn't do that" mode, but I think if others do read this thread they should be aware of the potential risks. This doesn't come from buying meds on the Shanghai back street in unmarked packets, it's counterfeits of big brand name meds.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:57 am

Sleeping aid

Originally Posted by bajacondo
I prefer Sominex though as I said they harder to find in Canada now. Buy a pack and try one before you leave. I also found they are usually good for about 6 hours of uninterupted sleep.
Sominex work well for me, I normaly just take half a tablet to give me about four hours of sleep before the effectiveness wears off.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The herbal version of Nytol works for me. (Boots, UK) ...............But not SWMBO, so we each have our own medical profile/preferences.

Whatever works for one does not always work for another.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by John Heaver
Sominex work well for me, I normaly just take half a tablet to give me about four hours of sleep before the effectiveness wears off.
I want whatever sleeping product you’ve been taking!

Each to their own, but if you can, I think good ‘sleep hygeine’ before a trip is key and a bit of forward planning. If going to Canada, have a bit of a lie in on the day of travel, don’t nap on the flight and go onto and ‘think in’ destination time as soon as you board. Don’t think “it’s 11pm in the UK”. Make sure room is comfortable and dark and set an alarm - if you wake up and alarm isn’t going off, turn back over without checking the time! I find it’s fatal if you descend into the obscessing about sleep thing!
Porky Speedpig likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by John Heaver
Let me welcome you to Flyertalk and to the BA forum in particular, John Heaver. It's great to get new members and I hope you will continue to be active here. Thanks for your contribution to this thread too.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Go to your GP and ask for 6-8 zopiclones 7.5mg

tgey only leave the horrid metallic taste if you bite them, you won't feel groggy as I'll guarantee you'll get a good 10 hours sleep, you only feel groggy if you wake up

infact I have an appointment for my GP next week to get some, as I take one on all flights over 6 hrs
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i cannot handle ambien or other prescription sleep-aids as i just feel groggy for hours after waking up.

while melatonin is indeed very helpful, if i need something stronger then in US/CA you should be able to find other over the counter meds like tylenol PM or advil PM (one paracetamol, the other ibuprofen based). i find these stronger and with less grogginess.

other than that, i will also on occasion take xanax on flights where i'm not drinking. its meant as an anti-anxiety med but it really relaxes me and knocks me out with no after effects. of course in the UK, it is not available via NHS but only private prescription.

that said--i do about 5 or 6 trips per year to california and find i am rested enough and wide awake at the hours you mention and fully productive until about 5pm. so if you just wake up and get an early start the drive should go ok!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I remember being on a flight to JNB a few years ago on the 747. I was in 2A (a redemption, I’m not that rich) and the lady in 1K settled straight down to sleep after take off and was woken up by her husband (in 1A) just about 40 minutes before landing. I had not slept a wink, as is usual, and noticed that she hadn’t stirred for the entire flight. I remarked on how well she had slept and how I never could. She rummaged in her handbag and pressed two foil wrapped tablets into my hand saying, “try these my dear, I never fly without them.” I accepted them thinking, “yeah right, as if I would ingest unknown tablets given to me by a stranger.” Anyway, on the way back after dinner and having been up since 6am that day I felt that wide awake that I got angry and decided to throw one of these tablets down me. Well, the next thing I knew my husband was doing a Mr 1A on me. The Cabin Crew lady when she gave me a coffee said, “My goodness you slept well through all that turbulence, didn’t you feel it?” Huh!! It knocked me for six. All that was left on the back of the foil wrapper was the letter N and I never could find out what it was. It was a bit scary actually and I threw the second one away. I still can’t sleep on planes.
Not exactly helpful but I thought I’d share it 😃
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Putting things into FT terminology Zoplicone makes a Y seat into J. Can go to sleep at takeoff and wake for landing, so why spend 1000s on J?

Zero grogginess or after effect.

I take half a pill first night at destination to induce sleep at the right time.

I do believe that everyone is different and experimentation is needed.
LAXlocal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.