Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tube/Tram Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Tube/Tram Questions

I have done quite a bit of reading, but have a couple of questions and I want to make sure I am not missing anything.

1. We need to go from LGW to the London bridge station on a Saturday morning. From my research it looks like First Capital Connect is the most direct option. Does this require a seperate ticket or can I use the Oyster card on this segment?

2. Since we will be in london 4 days then a couple in Paris and then back to London, the Oyster card looks to be the best deal for us. I am clear on it for my husband and I, but the kids are another thing. They are 9 and 14. I notice that 14 year old needs a picture Oyster card. Can we get these on a Saturday at LGW? Should I bring an extra password picture with me? Any other specific kid transportation hints? To me this is the most confusing aspect of the whole tram/tube/bus deal.

3. Can someone give me a simple description of the difference between the tube and the tram. Is it that one is underground?

4. Are there terminals at the stations that I can check how much money is left on my oyster card?

Thanks for the help. I have learned alot here.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA, DL, AA
Generally... the trains do not accept the oyster card. Oyster is only for the tube and busses.

The difference between the trains and the tube is mainly that the tube is within London (local) while the trains go outside of London (comute). The tube goes overland outside central london. You are not likely to use any tram service.

You cannot buy an oyster card at LGW. You can order them on line or wait until arrival to London. You can check the balance of your oyster card on line, at a tube station or on the busses when getting on (front door only). If you use a back door on a bus, you can use your oyster card, but do not have a screen to see the balance.

It appears that TfL will allow travel cards for non-residents to be applied for on line. https://photocard2.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/showLogon.do You will have to order in advance and pick up at their offices.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The Transport for London web site (http://www.tfl.gov.uk) can probably help with most of your queries, but in brief:

1. Need to buy ticket, cannot use Oyster
2. Resident 14yo need photocard for free travel/discounts, not sure about non residents
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1063.aspx
3. Tube is the extensive underground network, trams are a much more limited overground network which I doubt you'll ever need to use (I've never been on it) http://www.tfl.gov.uk/trams
4. You can check your Oyster balance at almost all tube stations
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The advice given above is good! The Tube is the nickname givem to the London Underground, which includes a number of services. Much of ther service is in deep tunnels, hence the name. However, some is shalloiw, some runs overground, parallel to or replqcing (or even complementing) commuter rail. It's a vast, diverse network.

A tram, in Europe, is what you call a trolley in the US (a trolley in the UK is a shopping cart). Most of London's trams were removed in the 50s/60s, however, a relatively new tram service has been reinstated around the suburb of Croydon, on-street and taking in a couple of ikd commuter rail lines. There are additional plans for trams through central London (Camden-Brixton), along part of the river, and in West London.

There is also the Docklands Ligh Railway, a mostly elevated but partly old rail, partly underground) system centered on the Docklands area, taking in LCY and Canary Wharf as well as Bank and Greenwich.

Finally, there is a mass of commuter and long-distance rail services from a huge number of stations (and a couple of through services). A lot of people commute on Intercity services too these days...
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:22 am

Programs: US Silver
The most difficult thing is the photocard that you need for your 14 year old. Currently, the only way to get one of these is to apply in person at a post office and wait for it to be mailed to you, which isn't terribly practical. However, were you planning to do much travelling by bus? Because that's where it comes into its own. I would venture to say that it is so much hassle for a non-resident to get, that it probably isn't worth it for the savings.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Just buy the Oyster card(s) at the first tube station that you encounter. Tell the agent that you want "pay-as-you-go" and you will pay 3GBP each plus any value that you put on the card. Everytime, you use the card, the value of your journey will be deducted from your balance at the Oyster card rate (much less than the cash fare). If you use it alot each day, the amount deducted will cap out at the cost of a day pass. For a visitor, this is a no-brainer. While it may seem like you wasted 3GBP to buy the Oyster card, you will save that from the cash fare with only two ow journeys.

There is no need to order in advance, or deal with photos, etc. While there may be other options that can shave a few pence here and there from your costs, this is by far the easiest method for a visitor.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:58 pm

I am planning on ordering my Oyster card in advance of my trip. Any tips on how much i'll need for my 6 day trip? also can I use one card for two people, like i can in NYC or is it one card per-person like in DC?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
One card per person (I wish it WAS like NYC)
Really it depends on how many journeys you will be making so dependent on plans and location of hotel. You "swipe" your card at the begining and end of each journey-it's important that you do this otherwise penalty charges can be deducted from your card balance.
Oyster issuing is quick and simple so if there are additional charges to pre-purchase it before you leave-don't bother !
If you are going to have internet access you can top up the Oystercards on-line -otherwise just swing past any tube station ticket window and do it there. Bus journeys are cheaper than tube journeys so less per journey is deducted. There is also a daily maximum -if you make journeys above that maximum (5am til midnight I believe) those journeys are free so no further money is taken from the card.
www.tfl.gov.uk is a helpful site.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
you may also at the end of your visit collect the deposit(3pounds) at any staffed station
Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:10 am

Programs: OZ,UA,BD,AA
Originally Posted by Jenniferpa
The most difficult thing is the photocard that you need for your 14 year old. Currently, the only way to get one of these is to apply in person at a post office and wait for it to be mailed to you, which isn't terribly practical. However, were you planning to do much travelling by bus? Because that's where it comes into its own. I would venture to say that it is so much hassle for a non-resident to get, that it probably isn't worth it for the savings.
Agreed. For the 14Yo, you may just want to get a Childrens, Zones 1-6 daily travelcard. It only costs £2 a day (assuming that you travel off peak which is 9.30am onwards on weekdays and all day at Weekends/Public holidays).

As mentioned previously, the £3 for the Oyster card is simply a deposit, which can be refunded or if you intend to visit again, you can just keep the card, to avoid this hassle next time you visit. These cards can be topped up at any tube station, using Cr/Dr Cards, notes and coins (in fact a good way to get rid of coins).

A couple of tube tips.

1/ If you travel on the tube, stand on the right hand side of the escalator. The left side is for those of us that are in a hurry and want to walk up them
2/ As you have a young child, avoid peak travel times if possible (before 9am or after 5pm). Also make sure that your children hold onto the escalator, in case they are bumped by people walking up/down them
3/ Don't expect any English gallantry in that being a lady, you will be offered a seat. It does still happen, but as a woman you are unlikely to be offered a seat unless you are old/pregnant/visibly not well
4/ While Londoners will appear to be unfriendly, (we just have busy/stressful lives). Never be afraid to ask for any form of help/assistance. You are after all a valued guest to our country.

Things are expensive in London at the best of the times, but with the current £/$ exchange rate, they will seem even more so. As in any city, try to avoid buying food/drinks from anywhere near a tourist attraction if possible. Try and look for a UK supermarket branch (Tescos/Sainsbury/M&S Food/Boots/Asda) as these will generally be cheaper for lunchtime food/snacks. Assuming you are in the West End/Greenwich or especially the City/Tower Bridge areas there should be one of these nearby.

Lastly, have a great trip. It's currently a sunny pleasant 26C here in London
Old Apr 15, 2007, 1:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
I'm going to be in London for two days, staying near Heathrow but sightseeing in the City. Would it be better for me to buy an Oyster card or two day Travelpasses?

Thanks,
T
Old Apr 15, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: OZ,UA,BD,AA
Originally Posted by tatia
I'm going to be in London for two days, staying near Heathrow but sightseeing in the City. Would it be better for me to buy an Oyster card or two day Travelpasses?

Thanks,
T
It all depends;

If you intend only using the underground, buses or DLR, then you would want to use Oyster pay-as-you-go. The Oyster Card has a daily price capping which is £0.50 less than the equivalent Travelcard. A zone 1-6 Off-peak Travelcard is £6.70 while the Oyster card would cap out at £6.20. You would have to pay a £3 deposit for the Oyster card, but this will be returned when you've finished with it.

If you intend to use British Rail (proper trains ), you will have to buy a daily Travelcard as Oyster pay-as-you-go is generally not valid yet on these trains yet.

It's a question of whether you want to get an Oyster card in order to save a maximum of £1? Getting an Oyster card is quick and painless, but some people aren't bothered about £1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.