Search

Excess baggage company?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, QF Club
Excess baggage company?

Hi

I'm moving back to Australia from Glasgow at the end of the month. Can anybody recommend a reliable excess baggage company (that doesn't cost the earth)?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:55 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
When I moved back from London I used a student removal company - whose name escapes me. Excess Baggage Company is definately one of the more expensive.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
LV shipping Ponteland Newcastle aiprort speak to Mike or Chaz
Old Jan 14, 2007, 7:54 am

A few baggage moving tips

I used the Excess baggage company recently to ship from London to Inverness. The amount of paperwork you have to fill in is excessive and the cost of their insurance is, in my oppinion, unacceptable. I would use a courrier company. In the short term it may appear more expensive, but it is likely to be an all inclusive price and will be quicker. They also act as an agent for handling the customs process.

Make sure you use a courrier and not a forwarding agent.
Try to carry as much with you on the airline as possible - speak to them about increasing your allowance.

Have a look at the British Association of Removers http://www.removers.org.uk/ for other removal options. I have contacted them in the past and they are very helpful.

You may be surprised to find that a company like DHL offer the best value all round service when you take all factors into account.

Good luck with the move,

Russell
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If you can get hold of a copy of TNT magazine (or similar), there are always lots of ads there for shippers. That would give you some idea of the market for shipping rates, against which you can compare those you're being quoted.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, QF Club
Thanks

Thanks for the advice everybody - I'll post what I end up doing.

DHL does sound scary expensive, but I'll look into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.