Ireland car rental questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ireland car rental questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Take all the coverage you can get! We couldn't use our MasterCard coverage because it required that the charge be directly to our credit card and ours was through our travel agent. Our travel agency booking included CDW. We paid ~200 euro for the "Super CDW" for no deductable full coverage. Well, ALMOST full coverage. Everything except tyres & keys. Second day, we hit a pothole and had to replace two tyres. And of course being on a Saab, they weren't cheap tyres. I think we also clipped a rock wall with our front left bumper which probably paid for the Super CDW.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: SW, MR, CHASE
I'm going to Ireland in 3 weeks and wanted a difinitive answer on credit card rental coverage. I called Visa, Mastercard and American Express. After spending several hours on the phone, I think I've got it figured out.

Because of the high traffic fatality rate and the high number on non-licensed drivers in Ireland, the credit card companies are changing the CDW they offer in Ireland, more like they are all discontinuing coverage in Ireland.

Visa -------- NO COVERAGE IN IRELAND
AMEX------- NO COVERAGE IN IRELAND
MC---------- NO COVERAGE IN IRELAND (as 10/1/06)
WORLD MC---CDW & Theft of Vehicle Coverage

The only card I found to OFFER CDW coverage in IRELAND is the WORLD MASTERCARD. It may say WORLD on your card, but I would still call your credit card to verify it is a WORLD card. Refer to the MasterRental program as far as coverage details and rules.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 4:05 pm

Cdw

Originally Posted by ccerts
After reading the link from Mastercard, their insurance covers Physical Damage to the rental vehicle, but goes on to say the coverage is not all-inclusive..."It does not cover you for any damages to other vehicles or property. It also does not cover you for any injury to any party."
The legally required insurance, generally included in the base rate for the rental, covers damage to all "third parties", the CDW relates to damage to your own car and personal insurance to damage to yourself.

Because of the high traffic fatality rate and the high number on non-licensed drivers in Ireland, the credit card companies are changing the CDW they offer in Ireland, more like they are all discontinuing coverage in Ireland.
This explanation for the lack of coverage is slightly suspect. Ireland is about mid way in European accident rates and has less fatalities per capita than the US, or only about 10% more when adjusted for Km travelled. Probably insurance is offered in some countries with higher fatality rates. Similarily if the other driver is at fault, being unlicensed etc, the renter shouldn't ultimately have to pay for damage to the vehicle. CDW claims often arise from the renters themselves doing damage, and people unused to driving on the left on narrow roads often scrape the vehicle on a wall or have similar mishaps. Repairs are relatively expensive in Ireland and car hire has a fairly short season so having the car off the road for repair loses money. In Ireland the purpose of having a car should be to go to the scenic routes, where minor scrapes are more probable.

It is probably best to check all inclusive rates from consolidators and start from there.

Last edited by gaelflyer; Aug 12, 2006 at 4:11 pm
Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I'm going to Ireland in 3 weeks and wanted a difinitive answer on credit card rental coverage. I called Visa, Mastercard and American Express. After spending several hours on the phone, I think I've got it figured out.

Visa -------- NO COVERAGE IN IRELAND
AMEX------- NO COVERAGE IN IRELAND
MC---------- NO COVERAGE IN IRELAND (as 10/1/06)
WORLD MC---CDW & Theft of Vehicle Coverage

The only card I found to OFFER CDW coverage in IRELAND is the WORLD MASTERCARD. It may say WORLD on your card, but I would still call your credit card to verify it is a WORLD card. Refer to the MasterRental program as far as coverage details and rules.
Any idea if the coverage offered by the World MC is primary or secondary converage? (i.e. will your own car insurance coverage need to be exhausted before it kicks in?)
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:43 pm

Programs: SW, MR, CHASE
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Any idea if the coverage offered by the World MC is primary or secondary converage? (i.e. will your own car insurance coverage need to be exhausted before it kicks in?)
1. When I called they said the World Mastercard coverage was primary. You must decline the CDW offered be the rental car agency. And yes the World Mastercard coverage is only CDW and Theft of Rental (provided you still have the keys).

2. Regarding your own insurance covering your out of the country----I'm not sure who's own car insurance would offer any coverage in Ireland. Most likely they would provide you with no coverage whatsoever.

3. I found it Interesting reading (in the previous post) about the traffic fatality rate and % of non licensed drivers. Provided that's true, it tells you what little fibs the credit card people make up to have you believe why they don't provide coverage in Ireland.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
I spend 1/3 of my year in Ireland!

The statement about length of rental season and cost of repairs mixed with people not used to left side driving, scraping the right side are correct. Also, in Ireland a person goes for a driving test and fails, guess what he/she drives home and practices driving until their next test. No one is required to ride with them, like in the US. But they are "SUPPOSED" to display and "L" and stay off motorways. Also, roads are not as improved as most of the EU and NA, but they are very very improved from where they were in 1999.

The post of credit cards listed above is also correct. Mastercard is the only one that offers any coverage in Ireland. And the only card with complete service is World MasterCard and only if it was issued by a bank in either the U.S. or Canada and only if to a citizen of the U.S. or Canada who resides in the U.S. or Canada.

Now for a little extra help. I am a bargain hunter, so I always look for the best rate. Here is where I always find the best rate: BUDGET
You have to play the website game so here it is. Book a car on www.budget.com then book a car on www.budget.ie as a U.S. citizen and then do the same thing as an Irish citizen. Immediately cancel all but the best rate. Book the smallest car that you paxs and baggage will allow. Never go automatic, it is a waste of money.

You will miss your cruise control, because they are only available on high end MB's or equivelant. You will probably bump your knee a lot. I do every trip.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
And if your World Mastercard has a 3% forex fee, then book and reserve with it and upon return, ask them to credit the card and charge the one you have with the least forex fee. I book with the AAdvantage or US Airways (Juniper) and then pay with a BOI so I don't pay any fees or conversion. Budget in Dublin always upgrades me for free and I do it so much they are all used to the World Mastercard CDW and the refund charge a different card scenario. They are REALLY friendly and helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.