Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Raja Fashions 'visiting tailors' (HK) - any good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Raja Fashions 'visiting tailors' (HK) - any good?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Excellent advice - and good to put my own experiences into perspective.

Please let me stress that I don't regard what happened as being especially awful or tragic, but I do hope it serves as a cautionary tale to the 'realities' of visiting tailors.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat
I visited RAJAs in Hong Kong last March with a friend who wanted a suit. Mr Raja was there himself and, I have to say, I thought he was quite bolshy and I didn't particularly like the other staff either - they spent too much time trying to get me to buy suits and not enough time on sorting out my friend's needs.

That said, my friend did get a reasonable linen suit and seemed fairly pleased with the price if not the experience.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Does anybody know of any good clothiers in Delhi?

I have dumped mine and switched to Ralph Lauren suits, but if there are any good quality ones in Delhi (and can fit me in less than a week), I would look into it.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
LapLap, sorry to hear the latest twist in this tale! I won't make any comments about the salesman techniques and standing up for yourself as a buyer - I've already made those points.

However, if you seriously believe that the material has been swapped and is not the original material offered to you (and you're sure that when you re-negotiated the price down to 700 this wasn't part of the deal) then this is a very serious matter indeed and you should take it up with them immediately. I would be tempted to tell them that you are utterly unsatisfied with the material and consider it to be different from the material offered and that unless they offer you a further substantial discount (hundreds of pounds), you will be sending the suits back to them (or will deliver them back to them when they are next in the UK) and will expect a full refund.

The transaction is governed by the Sale of Goods Act. See here:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm

And the very first point:

Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).
My bolding. If they are indeed different material, difficult to prove for you, but equally difficult for them to prove as well I would guess, and they refuse to refund you in full, I think you will find that under the Consumer Credit Act, your credit card company is jointly and severally liable for purchases over GBP100. Good luck.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:11 am

-----

Last edited by Canista; Jun 19, 2008 at 9:33 pm
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:26 pm
norodnik

Excellent comments...

I saw a RAJA fashions advert in the paper and was thinking of going to London on Friday to get measured up as I can collect in HKG next week.

However, from what has been said, it seems I would be better off with some alternative firm such as Addison Steele.

I only have 3 days in HKG so not really enough time to get fitted out whilst I am there (with an alternative firm) hence exploring the option of getting measured here. However, I dislike pushy sales people and would thank you all for your most insightful comments.

Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
Just on a the lines of this thread Does antbody have any experience with getting suits made/tailored in Milan or Rome

I know that it would be more expensive that asia but the tailoring and quaility is so good. I know that you can get this done in London and indeed by visiting big name tailors such as Zegna, Armani and Bironi, but what about having this done in Italy.

Currently the cost in Dublin for an Armani suit is about €1700 and a little less in london £1000 approx pending on cloth used, so what about it in Italy?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhilH
LapLap, sorry to hear the latest twist in this tale! I won't make any comments about the salesman techniques and standing up for yourself as a buyer - I've already made those points.

However, if you seriously believe that the material has been swapped and is not the original material offered to you (and you're sure that when you re-negotiated the price down to 700 this wasn't part of the deal) then this is a very serious matter indeed and you should take it up with them immediately. I would be tempted to tell them that you are utterly unsatisfied with the material and consider it to be different from the material offered and that unless they offer you a further substantial discount (hundreds of pounds), you will be sending the suits back to them (or will deliver them back to them when they are next in the UK) and will expect a full refund.

The transaction is governed by the Sale of Goods Act. See here:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm

And the very first point:

My bolding. If they are indeed different material, difficult to prove for you, but equally difficult for them to prove as well I would guess, and they refuse to refund you in full, I think you will find that under the Consumer Credit Act, your credit card company is jointly and severally liable for purchases over GBP100. Good luck.
Sorry I didn't see or reply to this (posted the day before the wedding, so I'm sure you understand! He didn't wear the Raja suit after all BTW).

As I wasn't involved in the initial negotiations, I feel unable to pursue this matter any further. And I know MrLapLap still feels a bit 'ill' over the whole thing.

Raja actually came good with the shirts, we've received two more (so have three) and are just expecting the final suit to arrive.

As I said, they've been alsmost uncanny with judging what the minimum standard would be for us to accept as being a reasonable deal so that we wouldn't feel cheated enough to take the matter further.

One piece of advice I would give, because I'm sure that with more knowledge (the link provided by theworld gives EXCELLENT advice) and a more assertive attitude it is possible to get much better results, is to stand firm and to document all the decisions that are made while they are happening. For instance, if swatches are shown, take a photo and write the names of the material you agree on.

Even though the experience has completely turned off MrLapLap from the idea of ever using Hong Kong Tailors again, I might still try for myself. But I'll be doing an awful lot of research first...
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:31 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by LapLap
As I wasn't involved in the initial negotiations, I feel unable to pursue this matter any further. And I know MrLapLap still feels a bit 'ill' over the whole thing.
@:-) Or, perhaps highlight this thread to Mr. Raja, pointing out it's been read by nearly 1500 potential customers of his. And send it off to the BBC etc. which ISTR were quoted early on in this thread for "followup"
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you are looking for shirts, I can recommend 40 Savile Row. Based at, erm, 40 Savile Row. They have made shirts for me for about 5 years now, and they are not substantially more expensive than a Pink shirt - about £80 each or so if you order in the Jan or July sale.

They have about 300 fabrics in the shop and you can have the shirt any way you want. Collar stiffeners, double cuffs etc - no problem, no extra charge. For a tall, slim man with long arms like me they have been great. I have also never had a problem with any of their shirts - the first 10 I had made lasted 3 years before the collars started fraying a bit, the batch I bought 2 years ago are all still great.

I also get my suits from them - just ordered two more this week, actually. In the sales you can get a two-piece for around £650-700, depending on cloth - delivery in 8 weeks with a first fitting after 4 weeks. Despite walking four miles a day to and from my office, the suits I had from them four years ago have survived exceptionally well.

Pop in and see Erland, a great Norwegian bloke, if you are passing.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:14 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
The problem with any of the Hong Kong tailors is that they do not do any hand stiching. The whole suit is machine stitched. All UK Tailors use hand tailoring on at least the most stressed parts of the suit. Hand stitching is far far far stronger than machine stitching.

I use Tom James in the UK who also come to visit you at your work or office. Their cheapest suits cost arouynd £700 and are 50% hand stiched. Over 100 hours hand stitching in each one of these. Prices range right up to £20,000 for a Super 220 fully hand made (you could never machine stitch a fabric as light as that) with gold leaf sown through the suit. The sultan of Brunei apparently has a whole set.

Tom James also work in the US. A & S are one step below but still good (I have never used them, but colleagues do) - on average their suits are 25% hand stiched (armholes, for example).
Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by ozzie
The problem with any of the Hong Kong tailors is that they do not do any hand stiching. The whole suit is machine stitched.
No, that's not correct. They do some hand stitching, for example Raja hand stitch the sleeves and collar and the extra bits like buttonholes etc.

The big thing with Raja is price. Both ozzie and Raffles have quoted £700 ish for ONE suit (presumably with one pair of trousers). For not much more (£50 or so more), I got TWO suits, each with two pairs of trousers from Raja. They are excellent quality, great fit and despite constant wear, they are both in tip top condition after two years now.

The shirts that I got are starting to show their age, but that's what you would expect after 2 years (I only got six). So I need to get some more, and I will have no hesitation whatsoever in going back to Raja.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:58 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
FYI: The current/previous issue of TIME (the one with the Opus Dei cover) has a full page advert with pics of Raja Fashions with a long-ish written piece on why to choose them. Also has the names of hotels and the dates during which they'll be travelling around different cities in the UK.

P.S.: Phil, do they have you on commission...?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I said in the original thread, never use Indian tailors that advertise in HKG. As for shirts, do you think that a shirt that has held for 2 years to be an accomplishment?? I generally expect my hand made shirts to last five and still have some that I had made in 1990 or so in HK that are still in good nick. Perhaps it says more about how you have your shirts laundered, etc. than anything else!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
P.S.: Phil, do they have you on commission...?
Unfortunately not, but maybe I should ask! I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.