Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oyster Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:37 am

Wouldn't the Oyster system be able to work it out automatically as there isn't such a thing as a pre-pay Zone 1-2
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
For disruption travel on HEX using a 1-6 Travelcard, you have to have a 1-6 Travelcard. Oyster prepay on its own is not valid. So if you don't take steps to use your prepay credit to buy a 1-6 Travelcard you simply won't have a valid ticket for use on the HEX. I don't think that One Day Travelcards can be put onto Oysters, so the only option is to buy a paper one (assuming that you don't want a 7-day or longer 1-6 Travelcard!), but IIRC you can do that at a ticket office using the prepay credit on your Oyster.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:42 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Okay. Didn't know you could buy a paper one day travelcard using pre-pay. Many thanks Globe.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:36 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Not that I would dream of abusing the system, but will the HEX crew have Oyster readers, d'you think?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UK flyer
Okay. Didn't know you could buy a paper one day travelcard using pre-pay. Many thanks Globe.
Grr. I went to find out more details for you, and found that the Ask Oyster answer has been "updated":-
Question
Can I buy paper tickets with the money I have added to my Oyster card for pay as I go?

Answer
No, you cannot buy paper tickets with your Oyster card.
Don't know why they've removed the facility, but I thought I should come back and correct this ASAP.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Grr. I went to find out more details for you, and found that the Ask Oyster answer has been "updated":- Don't know why they've removed the facility, but I thought I should come back and correct this ASAP.

That's alright. I'll just buy a one day travelcard tomorrow instead of using my Oyster. Thanks for finding this out for me.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA, DL, AA
The way that I interpret the Oyster rules is that I can buy an oyster travel card for 7 days zone 1-2 (£22.20) plus add cash to the card for a single trip between zones 2 & 6 (£1.80), or buy a single zone 1-6 at £4.00 (£3.5 Oyster), or cap a single day Oyster £11.90 (peak) £5.8 (off-peak).

The cheapest way would be Travel card (Oyster) for 7 days zone 1 - 2 (£22.20/7) at £3.24 + single zone 2-6 at £1.80 for a total of £5.04.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:51 am

Refund of Balance plus Deposit?

On his web site , Rick Steves mentions that you can turn in your Oyster card at any tube station and receive the balance plus the £3.00 deposit back in cash.

I can find no mention of this on the TfL web site. Is it true? I never know when I might return to London, so I would like to get the £££ back when I leave.

Edited to add:

Well, I just found this on TfL. How onerous for visitors. Guess I'll be sticking with the one-day Travelcards.

Question:

I no longer need my Oyster card. How can I get a refund of my unused ticket or travel value and my £3 deposit (if applicable)?

Answer:

Please send your Oyster card, with a covering letter to:

Oyster Ticketing and Refunds, 55 Broadway, London, SW1H 0BD

Please let us know if you've changed your details, so we can be sure to send any refunds to the right address.

For all other enquiries concerning refunds, please telephone Oyster Ticketing and Refunds on 0845 330 9881.

Alternatively, please take your Oyster card to a Tube station ticket office and they will explain what you need to do to get a refund.

Last edited by johnlw; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:14 am
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by Mr MCO
The way that I interpret the Oyster rules is that I can buy an oyster travel card for 7 days zone 1-2 (£22.20) plus add cash to the card for a single trip between zones 2 & 6 (£1.80), or buy a single zone 1-6 at £4.00 (£3.5 Oyster), or cap a single day Oyster £11.90 (peak) £5.8 (off-peak).

The cheapest way would be Travel card (Oyster) for 7 days zone 1 - 2 (£22.20/7) at £3.24 + single zone 2-6 at £1.80 for a total of £5.04.
For the addon to/from Heathrow, do you need a single ticket for zones 2-6 or 3-6? I thought that if the travelcard covered zones 1&2, you would only need a 3-6 single ticket. Not a big difference, I know, but I'm curious.

I'm not going to worry about it much, either, on my next trip. I go to London regularly enough that I'm just going to get an OysterCard with a 7-day zones 1&2 pass plus a decent PrePay cushion and not worry about it. If there's any PrePay excess, I'll use it on my next trip anyways.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:17 pm

AFAIK That won't work for travelling using Heathrow Express during the disruption weekends - having a Z1-6 Travelcard is different from having a Z1-2 + Prepay balance.

You can only use your Prepay to top up the balance if you are making a tube journey (or selected rail journeys). For other National Rail journeys (and generally where there are no Oyster readers) you have to buy the appropriate ticket/extension in advance of travelling.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdx42
Does the Oyster Card make sense for a 2-3 day trip to London? Normally I would get two one day travel cards for a two day visit. I'm intrigued with the Oyster having used a variation recently in HK - the Octopus Card. Just curious on some feedback, thanks.

Just to follow up on my original post - I did buy an Oyster card and found it to be more then helpful. On most of the trip/s I bought a zone 1/2 pass; but for the bus ride from Marble Arch to Paddington at 6am, for example, the Oyster was great and actually saved me money. Of course, I can use it the next time I'm in London.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by stargold
AFAIK That won't work for travelling using Heathrow Express during the disruption weekends - having a Z1-6 Travelcard is different from having a Z1-2 + Prepay balance.

You can only use your Prepay to top up the balance if you are making a tube journey (or selected rail journeys). For other National Rail journeys (and generally where there are no Oyster readers) you have to buy the appropriate ticket/extension in advance of travelling.
Sorry, you mention that it will not work on the Heathrow Express... I did not plan on taking the Heathrow Express... I was talking about taking the Picadilly line between Heathrow and central london. If I have a Z1-2 travel card on Oyster and I travel outside Z1-2 (with prepaid on my oyster card)... the additional charge will be only for outside Z1-2???
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, you mention that it will not work on the Heathrow Express... I did not plan on taking the Heathrow Express... I was talking about taking the Picadilly line between Heathrow and central london. If I have a Z1-2 travel card on Oyster and I travel outside Z1-2 (with prepaid on my oyster card)... the additional charge will be only for outside Z1-2???
I believe that if you have a Z1-2 period Travelcard plus prepay on your Oyster and you make a trip from Z6 to Z1 (or vice versa), the system should recognise your Z1-2 Travelcard and only deduct the extension fare (Z3-6) from your prepay balance.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I believe that if you have a Z1-2 period Travelcard plus prepay on your Oyster and you make a trip from Z6 to Z1 (or vice versa), the system should recognise your Z1-2 Travelcard and only deduct the extension fare (Z3-6) from your prepay balance.
That was my take on it. A sort of "we'll figure out what's best for you as you go" price-wise. For frequent London travellers, it seems like a very useful system for those whose plans may change intra-day and would previously end up overpaying.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by johnlw
On his web site , Rick Steves mentions that you can turn in your Oyster card at any tube station and receive the balance plus the £3.00 deposit back in cash.

I can find no mention of this on the TfL web site. Is it true? I never know when I might return to London, so I would like to get the £££ back when I leave.

Edited to add:

Well, I just found this on TfL. How onerous for visitors. Guess I'll be sticking with the one-day Travelcards.

Question:

I no longer need my Oyster card. How can I get a refund of my unused ticket or travel value and my £3 deposit (if applicable)?

Answer:

Please send your Oyster card, with a covering letter to:

Oyster Ticketing and Refunds, 55 Broadway, London, SW1H 0BD

Please let us know if you've changed your details, so we can be sure to send any refunds to the right address.

For all other enquiries concerning refunds, please telephone Oyster Ticketing and Refunds on 0845 330 9881.

Alternatively, please take your Oyster card to a Tube station ticket office and they will explain what you need to do to get a refund.

The London Heathrow Tube station information people have twice told me that the Oyster card refunds are only done by mail. (That doesn't work so well for those who don't have a mailing address in the UK.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.