Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Costco in the U.K.--anything unique or same as U.S.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco in the U.K.--anything unique or same as U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 4:47 am

Programs: Amex Cent, PC Royal Amb, Hertz Pres C, *A Gold, *Wood Gold, Hilton Gold, BA, KLM, Marriott,
£1.50 for the hotdog and 60p for the Coke (the only place I know in the UK that does free refils too!)
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:40 am

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
I too am a Costco fan and made the trek to the Costco in Reading last time I was in the UK (November).

It was very similar to the US stores, but with differences that made me really sad to live in the States
Nothing against the beauty of much of the UK, but would you rather live in READING in order to shop at the Costco there? I think that if the good Lord was going to give the world an enema, he'd consider inserting the syringe in Reading! I say that because on three separate occasions, when parking in the Railway parking lot there, my rental car was broken into twice and damaged by a hit n' run driver another time. IMHO, Reading is a pit! Tony Blair could give me a house there and I'd refuse it!

As far as Costco differences that would engender sadness over living in the U.S... ???
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 13, 2005, 12:23 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by prspad
Nothing against the beauty of much of the UK, but would you rather live in READING in order to shop at the Costco there? I think that if the good Lord was going to give the world an enema, he'd consider inserting the syringe in Reading! I say that because on three separate occasions, when parking in the Railway parking lot there, my rental car was broken into twice and damaged by a hit n' run driver another time. IMHO, Reading is a pit! Tony Blair could give me a house there and I'd refuse it!

As far as Costco differences that would engender sadness over living in the U.S... ???
Good lord, I'm not extolling the virtues of Reading, I'm extolling the virtues of a huge pack of pain au chocolate and decent chocolat, two things that I find are lacking in the US!

Actually, the sadness over living in the US stems from religious, political and family issues, but I won't go into that here
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast

Incidently, if you are without automobile and want to go to the Costco Reading, take a non-stop train from Paddington to Reading, exit the station and look at the bus schedule right out front. The buses queue up right there and you can get to the Costco in under 10 minutes
So would you say this is still the best store to visit via public transportation from LON?

A blast from the past I know

Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:54 am
:D!

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by beckoa
So would you say this is still the best store to visit via public transportation from LON?
I can't understand why people want to visit Costco when they're on holiday. Personally I go to IKEA.

Anyway Costco Reading is nowhere near the best one to visit from London.

If you mean LHR, the 105 bus from Terminal 3 gets you to Costco Hayes in 20 minutes, or you could even take a taxi/minicab/Uber.

From central London, the easiest would be to take a train to East Croydon from Victoria or London Bridge and the 119 bus gets you to Costco Croydon in 20 minutes + 10 minutes walk.

Costco Wembley is the closest to central London but I don't like the industrial area on that side of the stadium.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Industrial sized pickled onions
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by :D!
I can't understand why people want to visit Costco when they're on holiday. Personally I go to IKEA.
Awesome! (Grymt bra!)

David

Last edited by DELee; Apr 16, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by :D!
I can't understand why people want to visit Costco when they're on holiday. .
We mainly go back to the UK for one thing...shopping!! Decent quality at great prices....the complete opposite of what you get here.

Once visited a Costco while on holiday in Vancouver. Purchased a super suitcase as well as maple syrup and coffee.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
My take on this is if you truly have the time, then go. Otherwise, no.

Each Costco's offering is different to match up the local need, even with the Costco branches that are only miles away. So while many items will be the same, there will be noticeable difference.

However, the pricing in the U.K. are usually higher than the U.S. With the different safety standard, etc., it is unlikely that you may be able to buy something from there.

While I also appreciate Costco's guarantee on the products, I am not so sure how you can return an item purchased in the U.K. in an U.S. store.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:35 am
:D!

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by HIDDY
We mainly go back to the UK for one thing...shopping!! Decent quality at great prices....the complete opposite of what you get here.

Once visited a Costco while on holiday in Vancouver. Purchased a super suitcase as well as maple syrup and coffee.
Fair enough, but given the topic(s) of this thread I was thinking of people visiting from the US, products are unlikely to be cheaper in the UK and they might as well go to a state with no sales tax or something like that.

And Costcos are often difficult to get to unless you are driving, even if you wanted something specific from the UK, it should be available in a regular supermarket and unlikely to be worth the extra time or cost of getting to a Costco in most costs.

I too have been to a Vancouver Costco, as I always stay with family when visiting Canada.

I was being serious about IKEA, case in point, ice creams at Hong Kong IKEA are now cheaper than McDonalds.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:35 am

I always thought the main idea of Costco was bulk purchasing..i.e. what you most likely won't do on a vacation due to luggage/customs restrictions. If you just want to buy UK products..just go to the closest bigger Tesco/Sainsbury's or Asda. Costco's savings would in my mind be significantly outweighed by the opportunity cost of going out of your way to go there while on vacation.

Had to laugh at the Asda comment though..as it actually is a division of Walmart. It's called Asda because Walmart has a bad reputation in Europe..
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I always thought the main idea of Costco was bulk purchasing..i.e. what you most likely won't do on a vacation due to luggage/customs restrictions. If you just want to buy UK products..just go to the closest bigger Tesco/Sainsbury's or Asda. Costco's savings would in my mind be significantly outweighed by the opportunity cost of going out of your way to go there while on vacation.

Had to laugh at the Asda comment though..as it actually is a division of Walmart. It's called Asda because Walmart has a bad reputation in Europe..
While Walmart may or may not have a bad reputation in Europe, that is not why it is called ASDA: The ASDA story
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by pantster
£1.50 for the hotdog and 60p for the Coke (the only place I know in the UK that does free refils too!)
Nandos and DF/Mexico in the UK do serve yourself drinks (unlimited)

Some of the Burger Kings have the Coke machine that you can make any number of choices and serve yourself.

Five Guys has serve yourself drinks.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Nandos and DF/Mexico in the UK do serve yourself drinks (unlimited)

Some of the Burger Kings have the Coke machine that you can make any number of choices and serve yourself.

Five Guys has serve yourself drinks.
A lot has changed over the last 13 years....
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
While Walmart may or may not have a bad reputation in Europe, that is not why it is called ASDA: The ASDA story
Walmart acquired them but didn't change the name. Obviously speculation as to why they didn't do that..but Walmart did have to pull out of the German market due to negative PR surrounding the Walmart brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.