Reload this Page >

Edinburgh information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh information

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:41 am

About 2 minutes walk from the hotel - and that's if the lights are against you.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA,BD,VS,ANA
Originally Posted by stut
It does, it stops on Shandwick Place, just outside Quicksilver Amusements
wow, blast from the past. do they still have the {prize} china dogs and vases in the window?
all this talk about gambling and hookers is starting to make EDI sound like the scottish Vegas
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:36 pm

Edinburgh Before 31 Jul 2011

This site has provided such valuable information in helping plan my most recent trip that I hope that this will help someone else out...

I travelled to Edinburgh for a couple of days recently and it wasn't till I had already left that I realised that I completely forgot to use a voucher I purchased on Groupon.co.uk. (I was 4 weeks into a trip that had already taken me to 4 countries in 2 continents, so this Groupon I lost track of!)

It's a loss for me, but I'm willing to email the voucher for free to someone who could use this before it expires on 31 July 2011. It'd be nice to know that the voucher doesn't go to waste!

Details:
Edinburgh Bus Tours
Two adult Grand Bus Tour Tickets (ie. the 1 voucher is good for 2 adults)
- access to all four main tours
- tickets last 24 hours
- hop on and off at any stop
- Groupon must be exchanged at Waverley Bridge Travelshop
- admission to attractions not included

Please PM me if you're interested, hopefully there'll be a taker!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:09 am

Voucher's been claimed, thanks!

Originally Posted by ceescai
This site has provided such valuable information in helping plan my most recent trip that I hope that this will help someone else out...

I travelled to Edinburgh for a couple of days recently and it wasn't till I had already left that I realised that I completely forgot to use a voucher I purchased on Groupon.co.uk. (I was 4 weeks into a trip that had already taken me to 4 countries in 2 continents, so this Groupon I lost track of!)

It's a loss for me, but I'm willing to email the voucher for free to someone who could use this before it expires on 31 July 2011. It'd be nice to know that the voucher doesn't go to waste!

Details:
Edinburgh Bus Tours
Two adult Grand Bus Tour Tickets (ie. the 1 voucher is good for 2 adults)
- access to all four main tours
- tickets last 24 hours
- hop on and off at any stop
- Groupon must be exchanged at Waverley Bridge Travelshop
- admission to attractions not included

Please PM me if you're interested, hopefully there'll be a taker!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
TBH, Edinburgh's hotel prices during the summer took me a bit by surprise (not just during the Edinburgh festival but also in part of July).

Can somebody suggest accomodation that's more on the budget-friendly side? It's for a weekend/city sightseeing trip.

I usually would go for Hilton or Marriott but prices are well over GBP 200 during our dates. I noticed some posters on the UK forum recommend Premier Inns as budget options. I'm not from the UK and generally unfamiliar with them. So IDK which one of the gazillons of Premier Inn's to pick as a tourist in Edinburgh...

Also, during our dates, both of the Motel One hotels as well as the Dakota Edinburgh are quite cheap.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
The Dakota is very nice but miles out of town.

The Premier Inn at Edinburgh Park is a good balance between cost and location IMO. It isn’t in the city centre by any means, and whilst that means that there is nothing much nearby, it is literally right next to a tram stop, from where you can be in the city centre in 15 minutes or so for £1.70. There’s also free parking.

Premier Inns are perfectly decent properties l, if not flash.
newflya likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by newflya
TBH, Edinburgh's hotel prices during the summer took me a bit by surprise (not just during the Edinburgh festival but also in part of July).

Can somebody suggest accomodation that's more on the budget-friendly side? It's for a weekend/city sightseeing trip.

I usually would go for Hilton or Marriott but prices are well over GBP 200 during our dates. I noticed some posters on the UK forum recommend Premier Inns as budget options. I'm not from the UK and generally unfamiliar with them. So IDK which one of the gazillons of Premier Inn's to pick as a tourist in Edinburgh...

Also, during our dates, both of the Motel One hotels as well as the Dakota Edinburgh are quite cheap.
I stayed at the HUB by Premier Inn on Rose Street. Just a 1/2 block off Princes Street Gardens. It is a concept where the rooms are very tiny. However there was ample space for luggage under bed (which is very comfy) and shower was very nice. It's perfect for sleeping and getting out on the town. Also has a bar downstairs and also encourages you to have food delivered and enjoy down there if you like. Random Saturday in July shows 83 GBP.
newflya likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Why not just stay at the Moxy or Hampton at the airport, which are both within a few minutes walk of the airport tram stop which will get you into town in 30 minutes? You lose a bit of your day but could save a large sum.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
Why not just stay at the Moxy or Hampton at the airport, which are both within a few minutes walk of the airport tram stop which will get you into town in 30 minutes? You lose a bit of your day but could save a large sum.
All hypothetical without precise dates and prices, but all things being equal, if you’re going to stay out of town, I would definitely stay at the PI (or Novotel) at Edinburgh Park over an airport hotel. You’re 15 minutes closer to the city and only £1.70 single on the tram instead of £6.
:D! likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

I think Premier Inns are a good option. The beds are generally comfortable although the rooms are small. Premiers on the fringes of the larger cities tend to be relatively new construction while intown, you're looking more at renovated older buildings.

There are other options although your preference for Hiltons/Marriotts might rule these out. I've stayed at Pollock Halls at the University of Edinburgh. Yes, these are dorm rooms, but they are clean, they are safe, they have double ensuite rooms, and a Scottish breakfast is included in the package. In addition, they are in relatively close proximity to the east end of the Royal Mile (about a mile from Holyrood Palace). Plenty of visitors use these rooms during the summer months, and if your room is just to dump your stuff and sleep/shower, I think it's a good option. I looked at the weekend of 7/18-21 and you could get a double ensuite for $400 for the weekend. In comparison, the Premier Inn City Centre on Princes Street is closer to $600 for the same dates although you could reduce that to around $450 if you pay in advance for a nonrefundable room.

A little further out along Newington Road/Minto Street (they run together) in the EH9 postcode, there are a number of less expensive B&Bs/guest houses/small hotels. The city bus service will take you to the Royal Mile in a few minutes or you can walk in/out--there are lots of restaurants/pubs that line this section as the road, the A7, morphs into Clerk Street and Nicholson Street before intersecting with the Royal Mile.
newflya likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
All hypothetical without precise dates and prices, but all things being equal, if you’re going to stay out of town, I would definitely stay at the PI (or Novotel) at Edinburgh Park over an airport hotel. You’re 15 minutes closer to the city and only £1.70 single on the tram instead of £6.
From the Moxy, it's not very much further to walk to the P&R to get the tram, which is then the cheap price.
newflya likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I stayed at the Motel One Royal last year. Basic, but comfortable, with a nice bar area. Very close to Waverley station and about 10 minutes walk to the Royal Mile.
newflya likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.