Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK E-Gate Eligibility

UK E-Gate Eligibility

Old May 20, 2023, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
UK E-Gate Eligibility

The e-gates at major UK airports and Eurostar terminals can be used by citizens of the UK, EU and EEA (Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein) as well as citizens of certain low-risk countries (Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Canada, USA and Singapore). But what about citizens of the European microstates: Andorra, Monaco and San Marino? Why aren't they included?
Old May 21, 2023, 12:13 am

If I may hazard a guess, I would probably suggest that the Home Office did not consider it worthwhile to expend the developmental cost to include the micro-nations which are not EU/EEA.
LETTERBOY and TravellingChris like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 1:51 am

Also there are no flights directly from any of those places, so any passport-holders from there will be only a small minority of passengers on flights from their nearby airports.

And many if not most of them may well have a French/Italian/Spanish passport anyway.
Old May 21, 2023, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Also there are no flights directly from any of those places, so any passport-holders from there will be only a small minority of passengers on flights from their nearby airports.

And many if not most of them may well have a French/Italian/Spanish passport anyway.
But there are no direct flights to the UK from Liechtenstein either, yet its citizens can use the e-Gates. .
Old May 21, 2023, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
But there are no direct flights to the UK from Liechtenstein either, yet its citizens can use the e-Gates. .
But Liechtenstein is a member of the EEA (and also Schengen).

Point is I think you are searching for a problem that is really not a problem, or is at least not one deserving too much attention.
farci likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 4:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Users of passports issued by Andorra, Monaco and the Vatican can still register for UK egate use by meeting the eligibility requirements indicated below:

Who is eligible to become a Registered Traveller?

A passport holder of Andorra, Argentina, Bahamas, Belize, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Vatican City State, Honduras, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Israel, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Mexico, Monaco, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Samoa, Seychelles, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Taiwan (passport must have a personal identification number), Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay

18 years of age or over

Hold a valid visa (exclusions are Tier 5 Sporting & Creative Concessions, EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules)

A visitor who has entered the UK from another country using an eligible passport, at least 4 times in the last 24 months in one of these categories:

Business
General
Academic
In Transit
Entertainment or Sports
Parents with a child in a UK school
A member of a diplomatic mission
A medical visitor

An ‘entry’ does not include passing through a UK airport while on the way to another country.
https://www.faster-uk-entry.service.gov.uk/about

San Marino isn’t on that list, but not sure why.
TravellingChris likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
But Liechtenstein is a member of the EEA (and also Schengen).

Point is I think you are searching for a problem that is really not a problem, or is at least not one deserving too much attention.
No, this is a significant issue. There should be consistency in UK Border policy: citizens of all low-risk countries should be able to use the e-Gates, regardless of whether there are or aren't direct flights from their home countries, and irrespective of passenger volume from those countries at UK arrival points. It is utterly illogical that citizens of the European countries surrounding the microstates (Spain, France and Italy in this case) can use e-Gates but Andorrans, Monagesques and Sammarese cannot.

Although Brexit doesn't directly relate to migration policy (the UK was never part of Schengen and had a separate list of visa-free countries that didn't line up completely with those of Schengen states) part of the ostensible rationale for the break with the EU was to allow the UK to streamline its policies and broaden its approach to the non-EU world. And yet the British government won't even allow citizens from a handful of tiny non-EU states to use the e-Gates at Heathrow!
pilot007 likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Users of passports issued by Andorra, Monaco and the Vatican can still register for UK egate use by meeting the eligibility requirements indicated below:

https://www.faster-uk-entry.service.gov.uk/about

San Marino isn’t on that list, but not sure why.
Interesting list. If I had my druthers I would move Andorra, Monaco, Brunei Darussalam and Taiwan to the list of countries allowed to use e-Gates without joining Registered Traveler. (As well as including San Marino).
Old May 21, 2023, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
No, this is a significant issue.
Perhaps you should ask 100 random people if they agree. I'd be surprised if you found one that did.

I don't see that it's illogical at all. The current list quite logically includes all EU and EEA countries - a clearly defined grouping - plus a small number of individual countries all of which are notably significant, populous and with whom we have a close relationship and/or large inbound passenger volumes. None of that applies to the countries that you listed.

Yes there could be plenty more countries added to the list, but I hardly think that those micro-states are top priority.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 6:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Can I ask the OP, I imagine you have an Andorran passport? How often do you arrive in the UK (as opposed to connecting which may sometimes allow airside connections with no immigration)?

Have you tried registering as noted in post 6?

I doubt any figures could be found, but I would be interested to see how many Andorran passport holders arrive each day in the UK as a proportion of total arrivals just ti understand how significant an issue it is.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
OP if your a UK resident write to your MP and/ or the Home Office

If you are a resident of one of those countries you mention then write to your elected representative and / or go0vernment there.

BTW If I were the UK Gov then I'd be spending my time negotiating for UK passport holders to be able to use the egates on arrival into the EU / EEA / Schengen which would benefit a far larger number of people.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BTW If I were the UK Gov then I'd be spending my time negotiating for UK passport holders to be able to use the egates on arrival into the EU / EEA / Schengen which would benefit a far larger number of people.
That would be a waste of time and other resources at this point. It’s already in the EU’s plans to allow most adult UK passport users to use the Schengen ABC/egates upon ETIAS and EES becoming mandatory for most UK passport users’ entries at Schengen airports of entry.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That would be a waste of time and other resources at this point. It’s already in the EU’s plans to allow most adult UK passport users to use the Schengen ABC/egates upon ETIAS and EES becoming mandatory for most UK passport users’ entries at Schengen airports of entry.
I am counting down my blank pages waiting for ETIAS/EES. Sadly I think it’s now postponed to 2024 - hopefully that’s the last delay.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I'm more keen for low friction travel to the US! I've spent more time in US immigration queues than I care to think about!
Old May 21, 2023, 11:41 am

ETIAS/EES/ETA(UK)/ETA(US)- the ever growing alphabet soup suggests we are reversing some of the travel freedoms gained in the past few decades- unfortunately I feel this is a global trend.
GUWonder, dddc and pilot007 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.