Alexander the Great (Camden)
Moro (Clerkenwell)
Quality Chop House (Clerkenwell)
Toklas (Holborn)

Print Wikipost

Outdoor dining options in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by 13901
In W6:
  • The Carpenter’s arms,91 Black Lion Ln, London W6 9BG
  • then along the Thames there’s the Old Ship (though outside space is at a premium) and the Blue boat. There’s a couple of pubs by Hammersmith Bridge but they’re mostly for drinks to be fair.
The Black Lion (W6 9TJ) right by the Old Ship has a big garden and does decent food. Further down in W6 towards Fulham along the river, there is:
  • the River Cafe, which has outdoor space though just trying to make a couple reservations it seems hard to get online - though they have a phone number.
  • The Crabtree, with lots of outdoor space, but doesn't look like you can reserve outdoor space online so might have to try and call to get an outdoor space.
Conversely, if you don't mind heading away from the river, at Brook Green is the Queen's Head, which has a massive garden and does allow specifically asking for an outdoor space.

13901 - Thanks for the Chiswick recommendations. I'll have to check out the Swan. I love moules marinieres.
lexdevil and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by GregWTravels

13901 - Thanks for the Chiswick recommendations. I'll have to check out the Swan. I love moules marinieres.
Before you go, check out the menu. They used to have them every day, then Sunday only. I found out the hard way, it was tough.

Otherwise, on the topic of mussels, the Lowlander near Covent Garden does them greatly. They even give you a bucket!
GregWTravels likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
  • the River Cafe, which has outdoor space though just trying to make a couple reservations it seems hard to get online - though they have a phone number.
So right about the challenge of online booking. I had been hoping to go, as a friend used to work there. Doesn't look like it will work out on this trip. :-(
GregWTravels likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the Granary Square area there are several with dedicated space. We enjoyed the Lighterman, but there's others we did not try.
lexdevil likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
In the Granary Square area there are several with dedicated space. We enjoyed the Lighterman, but there's others we did not try.
Yes, there are branches of so many of my favorites...BAO, Barrafina, Hoppers... I definitely plan to check out this development. Almost chose to stay at the Renaissance just to be nearby.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Along the South Bank there are plenty of outdoor dining options, especially around the South Bank centre. Nothing particularly upscale* though. You can add pop up bars and street food options to that.

* Unless Wagamama meets your definition of upscale.
lexdevil and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:43 am

Oh, while we're on the topic of 'outside' in the sense of 'grab your food from a stall and eat it someplace' then Broadway Market is a nice one, especially on weekends. Some places do have tables (like Koya Ko, the Japanese udon restaurant) while for most stalls it's a case of heading over to London Fields, just a few meters to the north, and plonk oneself on the (alas now rather dry) grass. People watching is just worth the trip.
Internaut and lexdevil like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:57 pm

Awesome topic! Thank you for starting lexdevil ! Clever to include the question, “can outdoor tables be reserved?“

Any Covent Garden recommendations?
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
The Freemason's Arms
https://www.freemasonsarms.co.uk

In Hampstead, close to the Heath and not far from Hampstead Heath train station. Adress is 32 Downshire Hill, London NW3 1NT

Booking is online and you can specify Garden or Terrace.

A gastropub that hasn't gone down the arty-farty rabbit hole quite as far as others in the area (but there's a vegan menu of course). Not as nice as The Old White Bear nearby (yes it's reopened and it's a pub again), but that only has a few tables outside.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by MareLuce
Awesome topic! Thank you for starting lexdevil ! Clever to include the question, “can outdoor tables be reserved?“

Any Covent Garden recommendations?
https://www.coventgarden.london/cg-e...covent-garden/
MareLuce likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Kingly Court
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Brindisa in the Battersea Power Station development. So many other outdoor options there too, but that's my favourite.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:47 pm

Thanks for starting this lexdevil. I've been keeping my own running list and will add a few recent experiences here, starting with:

Restaurant: Sam's Riverside
Reservation Process: via restaurant's website
Can outdoor tables be specified? (Y/N) Yes
Tips: Has 8 or 10 outside tables, just off the towpath. You also get a discount at Sam's Larder around the corner if you've just dined at the restaurant.
Review: We booked because we couldn't get into the nearby River Cafe without booking a few weeks in advance. Modern British menu, and we had a lovely lunch on the quiet patio. The Giles Coren review in The Times is behind a paywall, but he gave it 8/10.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:02 pm

Restaurant: Parrillan Borough Yards
Location: Under a railway arch in the new Borough Yards development behind Borough Market
Reservation Process: via restaurant's website
Can outdoor tables be specified? (Y/N) Yes
Tips: Only the outdoor tables can order the tabletop grill, for obvious reasons. We didn't do this because there were only two of us and we could see from other tables around us that you really need four people for the amount of meat that comes on the tabletop grill. If the weather ever cools off, the cushions on the outdoor seats have electronic heaters in them.
Review: Reliable Spanish food as you would expect from the Barrafina/Parrillan organization.
MareLuce likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.